+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal Ion Fear  (Read 5111 times)

tommyhip

Metal Ion Fear
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »
THIS IS MY FIRST POST. PLEASE HELP. I read all the online registry reports (including Australia) and the newer UK recommendations regarding metal reactions for MOM implants including resurfacing (BHR and Biomet)  Its enough to scare one to death!!  I would love to know how many people out there have had an HRA at least five or more years ago and have had NO issues of adverse metal reactions. I have contacted one of the most experienced surgeons in the USA, yet I am so concerned about this metal ion issue I am considering having a THA even though my OS says I am an ideal candidate for resurfacing. Please respond and simply let me know - for example:   BHR  2005 - no metal issues.  or  Biomet 2009 - no metal issues. I know the ASR and Durom are no longer to be considered. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.!!!

bluedevilsadvocate

Re: Metal Ion Fear
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
BHR 2010. No issues.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Ernie

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
Conserve + 2011
Biomet 2015

no metal issues
[/size]
And I hike 5 miles daily, and have also returned to running in[/size] the past year, 3-5 miles, two or three times a week.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

tommyhip

Re: Metal Ion Fear and New Implants
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
I am not trying to be critical of such a great site but one of the problems I have have navigating herein  is that much of the info/responses are several years old. The resurfacing arena is changing all the time e.g. - synovo preserve, poly motion implant and the ACCIS implant from Germany with a ceramic composition. Many Posts from 2012 and prior do not reflect current post-op implant data.  FWIW, there is an upcoming seminar this October (around the 20th) in Memphis TN. wherein there will be a discussion of the future of resurfacing including NEW resurfacing pipeline products. Of course, NEW products mean very little available statistical feedback for longevity and toxicity etc.  Does anyone find this to be as frustrating as I do?   Any thoughts?

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Which part is frustrating? Older stories of surgery and recovery are still valid for the experience. Is it frustrating that there are no longevity studies on relatively new implants? Well, sorta. I have a newer device that could well last the rest of my life, based on mechanical studies, etc., but who really knows? Since the device didn't exist 20-30-40 years ago it's not possible for a longevity study to exist and know for certain. I was still willing to take the risk, and will do it again. I think it's great that there new resurfacing devices in the pipeline. I would like to see the surgery become more accepted and common, not less so (as seems to be happening).

John C

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
2008 Biomet. Metal ions are <1. No real issues other than some residual soft tissue sensations during a couple of extreme movements.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Granton

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
One BHR done in 1999, the other 2013. No issues at all.

Will be interested to find out ion levels, but am confident that there is little wear. When I had my second one done, they said that the original (14 years old at that point) looked on x-ray as when it was implanted.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
Hi  tommyhip
There are over 1500 personal stories on the website plus many more on the discussion group.
http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-stories/
It is great to have so many stories, especially the older ones.  What that means is hip resurfacing is a very good choice of hip replacement.  To date, there is only one FDA approved Device in the US - the BHR.  Dr. Gross uses the Biomet cementless and Dr. Pritchett uses the Synovo Advantage which are used off label which means the components are FDA approved, but the device is not FDA approved. Dr. Gross explains that here:

http://surfacehippy.info/is-hip-resurfacing-fda-approved/

It takes years for new devices to be FDA approved here.  So you don't hear much about them because they don't exists here.  There are a few other newer devices being designed overseas, but it will be years before they would be available here.  They must be used in trials before they are approved.  Then when approved overseas, they need to be submitted to FDA here.  So right now, there are no other choices available in the US.  More devices are used overseas like the Wright Conserve Plus, etc. 

When trials for new devices are finished and approved overseas, then they will most likely share the information with the hip resurfacing world.  It might be that you will have to travel overseas to get one of the newer devices.  The Medical World and FDA move VERY, VERY slowly.

The national registries have long histories of devices and their current usage and failures.  They come out every year for various countries.

http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing/national-registries/

So those can give you current information about devices and their retention rates and problems.

I hope that helps.

Pat

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:43:54 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat