+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hardware removal...found evidence of metalic degradation  (Read 2014 times)

johnd_emd

Hardware removal...found evidence of metalic degradation
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
I was racing the bike at a pro 1-2 level at the age of 51 when I had my hip resurfaced with the BHR.  At 54 I was in a pro1-2 race in N.Cal and a young pro Pushed another rider who fell into me. I crashed very hard and sustained very serious injuries.   My story is on here somewhere. Anyway, one of the injuries was a snapped femoral neck below the hip resurfacing device.   They put in some metal hardware to help the femoral neck heal.   I recently had that hardware removed 12 days ago. During the surgery the surgeon found a large pocket of fluid surrounding the joint capsule full of gray fluid. He believes my body is reacting negatively to the metal ions produced from the BHR. He also noted some graying of tissue around the area.  He wants me to do a total revision and go to a total hip replacement device.  Pretty disappointed about this finding. But he says it will continue to cause more problems if I leave it in. Any advice and recommendations from those out there would be appreciated.  Plus, what is the best THR device out there for active people, with the best results?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:54:46 PM by johnd_emd »
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hardware removal...found evidence of metalic degradation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
Hi  I am sorry to hear you are having problems. If you are having problems, it sounds like you do need to get another opinion or two.  I am not a doctor, but usually I have read when someone is having a reaction to the metal device, it is normally removed. You don't want to cause yourself any more problems.

I would suggest getting extra input from several of the surgeons on this list

http://surfacehippy.info/surgeons-with-1000-hip-resurfacings/    Even the overseas surgeons like Dr. De Smet will give you a free email consultation along with many of the US surgeons from Dr. Gross, Dr. Pritchett,  Dr. Brooks, Dr. Bose, etc  etc   

You don't want this to go on long, if there is a problem.  Best to catch it as soon as possible - if there is a problem.  A lot of surgeons are using ceramic THR devices which have large ball size so you don't have any restrictions. 

Here are some stories about active folks with THRs

http://surfacehippy.info/5-year-update-mikes-thr-with-mr-treacy-2012/

http://surfacehippy.info/3234-2/

Here are a bunch of THR athlete stories on my Hips for You website:

http://hipsforyou.com/category/personal-stories/athlete-stories

http://hipsforyou.com/arizona-cyclist-wins-gold-after-hip-replacement.php

Best to ask each surgeon what device they would use and if you would have any restrictions.

A THR is not the end of the world, just a different option.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

johnd_emd

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
Pat, thanks for the reply.  If it wasn’t for the hardware removal I would’ve never known there was an issue.  I’ve been very happy with my BHR.  I am a little confused why there wasn’t any signs of necrosis when they had to put in the bracket 3 yrs ago, because of my crash.  I asked the doc that and he said there were no signs of metallic necrosis at that time.  Wonder what changed?  Either way, I’ll follow your advice and contact the Doctors you recommended and get their professional advice.  It’s nice to know there are some THR devices out there that still will allow me to be active; no longer racing the bike, but have become a Nationally Ranked shooter since leaving cycling.  Thanks again,

John
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

johnd_emd

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »
Oh, do you know anything about Dr Chow in Phoenix?
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

gasyz

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
Don't worry about getting a THR. I'm not sure what THR device they have fitted,but I know of a couple of high level sportsman here in the UK that are doing really well on them.
DAVID KNIGHT MBE 4 times world enduro champion who is still riding at a very high professional level and WOODY HOLE world vets mtb enduro champion.who won his title after getting his THR.These are two very demanding sports.Hope this helps.
Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

johnd_emd

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:59:43 AM »
Thanks Gladys!  Yes, any positive feedback like that always helps. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat