+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One year out scare with a wild mouse  (Read 5052 times)

obxpelican

One year out scare with a wild mouse
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
Well it's been a year for me plus some and I had a big scare, we were at an amusement park last night and we were doing all the rides both water and coaster rides.  I got really cocky and decided to try the "Wild Mouse" it's a ride that runs on pipe and it runs very quickly and makes a lot of turns and it goes up and down the track with a lot of velocity. 

On one down downhill section it turned very sharply left which through me up against a bar to the right (nobody was sitting to my right) right where your implant sits, I hit very hard and I actually thought my hip was done---I waited for pain that never came and as it turned out I was not even sore from the bashing my hip took.

I can now attest that once that implant is in it's very solid and it's very secure.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: One year out scare with a wild mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:27:55 AM »
Well, that will teach you to ride the Wild Mouse without someone nice snuggled up next to you  ;D

Glad to hear all is well.

I fell really hard on my right hip with the BHR that is 3 1/2 years old this summer and it is still fine.  I was riding my bike and a tire got caught on a brick.  I was bruised around my hip, but obviously once the bone has grown into place, the hip resurfacing devices are very strong.  Again, it is all about how well your bone will grow into and hold the device in place.  I am sure all of the resurfacing devices are pretty strong - it is our poor human bodies that are so fragile.

Good Luck and make sure you have people on both sides of you from now on! You have to be careful of those big mice  ::)

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
Chuck,

That's reassuring since I'm a downhill skier and haven't taken a hard fall yet on my new left hip resurfacing.  I realize its inevitable.  I saw the ski area manager at the health club last night and he asked me if I was going to buy a season pass this upcoming season and I said I would.  He had hip surgery last October, but it was an arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs.  He doesn't ski since he is busy managing the facility.  My doctor of internal medicine wants me to continue low strength aspirin to minimize a cardiac event and unless I ski cliffs where I might fall and bleed, so I'm OK.  He is a snowboarder who skis the same steeps as I do.
Needless to say, hip resurfacing is a no brainer for those who downhill ski.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:50:51 AM »
Steve,

I've actually had 2 events where my hip took a big impact, one with the wild mouse, the other was early spring at work I went out to take the trash out and I walked on some wet cardboard on the ground and my feet slipped out from under me so fast I had no chance to react.  Well, my hip took full force shot right on the cement/wet cardboard.  I sat for what seemed like a minute because it hurt real bad, finally I got the nerve to get up and I was fine, sore mind you but I was fine.

I guess the moral of my stories are, yes you need to be careful but your hip is protected by muscle and as Pat said your bone is fused well by now with the implant.... and I did not have to worry about loosening the cement either  ;D (that's an inside joke)

We have other skiers that do well Steve, I would go out and just enjoy that new hip I bet you'll do fine, just follow Dr. Su's instructions.  Dr. Gross told me a few weeks ago to go out and use my hip and have fun, he's also very optimistic that we're going to be buried with our implants, I hope he's right.

Chuck

Chuck,

That's reassuring since I'm a downhill skier and haven't taken a hard fall yet on my new left hip resurfacing.  I realize its inevitable.  I saw the ski area manager at the health club last night and he asked me if I was going to buy a season pass this upcoming season and I said I would.  He had hip surgery last October, but it was an arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs.  He doesn't ski since he is busy managing the facility.  My doctor of internal medicine wants me to continue low strength aspirin to minimize a cardiac event and unless I ski cliffs where I might fall and bleed, so I'm OK.  He is a snowboarder who skis the same steeps as I do.
Needless to say, hip resurfacing is a no brainer for those who downhill ski.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:52:03 AM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

Gav

• Preston, Lancashire, England
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »
They have one of those rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which is near me, called Crazy Mouse!! I love it.

Glad I'll be able to carry on riding the coasters.

Some of the inverted coasters in Florida can exert centrifugal forces on your hips, as you go around a bend. I went on a similar one on Sunday at Alton Towers, Staffs called Nemisis and it was fairly painful, but worth it!!! I should have sat on the left hand side!!

Things are about to get better!!

Hopefully I'll be ok to go back to Orlando again next year without issues. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:54:29 AM by Gav »
4th September 2009, Mr McLauchlan, Preston

DePuy ASR  Right Hip-

No worries now!!!!!!!!!!!

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
Well, that will teach you to ride the Wild Mouse without someone nice snuggled up next to you  ;D

Are you hitting on me Pat?  LOL   ;D  <jk>

You have a very well tested hip, 3 years plus, I bet it seems like yesterday. 

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:57:38 AM »
They have one of those rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which is near me, called Crazy Mouse!! I love it.

We have several around in PA and the surrounding area, my problem is that I could not make the walk to it last year pre-op so I had since forgotten about how hard that rides moves you from side to side.

Those are neat rides, very high energy but you do get slammed.

I most enjoyed the water park, it was nice to be able to do the steps without that really bad pain.... your life will be changing Gav, for the good.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

larry2458

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
[I waited for pain that never came and as it turned out I was not even sore from the bashing my hip took.

I can now attest that once that implant is in it's very solid and it's very secure.

Chuck

[/quote]

i came off my mountain bike in april and landed on my hip and just like chuck i waited for the pain in my hip..............nothing.
my hippy was 7 months old at the time and it wasn't even the first time i'd come off but i was only going slow the other times.
                                                      larry
lbmh 16th october 2008

stevel

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
Chuck,

Dr. Su removes all restrictions at six months but I recall Dr. Gross saying in an interview on this website to avoid skiing double xx's (very steep hills) until one year post-op.  I have a moose hunt coming up in mid September where I could be packing 80 to 100 pound quarters.  I'll be nearly one year post-op.  I've been conservative in extreme activity from 6 months to a year as this recovery period is debated worldwide among experienced hip resurfacing surgeons (Dr. McMinn says wait 1 year for impact sports but Dr. DeSmett says OK at 3 months).
I'm comfortable with cement for at least 10 years because of the track record from thousands of patients but you have to wonder about full bond of an uncemented femoral device with bone.  At least your short term experience with falls relieves some of this anxiety.  I'll let you know about my one year adventure with a wild moose!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:11:32 PM by stevel »
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

muzza

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »
Some time ago, I was wondering about the strength of the Birmingham prosthesis in case of impact.  I asked my surgeon and he said "your bones will break before the implant is damaged; it is very strong".

Neil

obxpelican

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »
Neil,

OMG YES!  Your implant will be around long after you have passed..... when I went in the day before my surgery I held my implant and it was VERY sturdy.  I was concerned with fracturing the head of my femur or the implant lossening, which it never did, thankfully.

Steve: Yes, on some things Dr. Gross is very conservative, some doctors even have no weight bearing for weeks after the surgery, Dr. Gross allowed me to do as much as I could take just after the surgery.  Some doctors still have you wear TEDS post-op, Dr. Gross now only requires aspirin post-op.

All doctors have a different opinion about how to treat their patients.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat