+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery in 2 days...having second thoughts...help  (Read 3322 times)

saa115

Surgery in 2 days...having second thoughts...help
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »
I need your help.  I've gotten to this point today where I'm scheduled for a hip resurfacing with Dr. Mont in Baltimore in just 2 days.  I'm 36 and have been dealing with a degenerative left hip since i injured it playing basketball 10 years ago.  Emotionally, i've gotten myself prepared for the surgery, but am now having second thoughts.  Between just being scared and now reading all the complications on this website, i'm really feeling concerned.  Can any of you give me some advice?

Thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgery in 2 days...having second thoughts...help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
Hi

Everyone gets nervous before surgery.  Dr. Mont is one of the very expeirnced surgeons in the US.  Did you look at other surgeons before choosing him?  Are you more frightened because you chose him or because you are facing surgery?

There are not that many complications posted on this site. There are many hundreds of sucessful personal stories posted.  As with any major surgery, there are always a few problems.  Generally, they are not with the really expiernced surgeons. That is why I always suggest using the surgeons with a lot of expereince. There are a lot of happy Mont patients that post here.

I would not concentrate on the problems, but on the many, many successful stories. There are many written and even videos posted.  There are many athletes that returned to their original sports.

I don't think your second thoughts are unusual.  Why not read the many stories posted here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php  and think about what you are going to be doing this summer.  Stop looking at the negatives, they are a very small percentage of all resurfacings.

Stay in touch when you can and let us know how you are doing.  You will soon be working on your recovery instead of worrying about the few problems that could possibly occur in hip resurfacing.

Hang in there.  Good Luck.

Pat

PS  I deleted your other duplicate post so you get all the answers in one place.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

saa115

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
Pat,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  Dr. Mont was very impressive and was recommended by my local ortho surgeon b/c i'm a good candidate for hip resurfacing.  Part of my reservation is that I have only spoken with Dr. Mont for ~ 15 minutes back in October when i scheduled the procedure (although I have peppered Terri and staff with lots of questions).  Most of my reservation is pre-op nerves, i'm sure.  I will certainly re-post here as recovery progresses, but I would appreciate any more words of encouragement out there; especially from those that have had a HR from Dr. Mont.

Thanks again.

-Scott

roosevelt heights

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:55:57 PM »
I am 4 weeks post op...nerves are normal...I weighed the pro's and cons about the procedure and so far no pain in the prothesis, but some in the incision. Actually took less Oxy as prescribed, and currently taking hydro...soon to have other leg done 4/5....your doctor sounds like mine (Pritchett), if you don't ask, they don't have much to say...Dr. P, is like a confident gunslinger, he knows he's good...be a good patient let your doc perform his craft, and before u know it...you will be setting the "high screen".

mikeschicky

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:07:08 AM »
nerves are normal.

When it's all done and over, the crutches are laid aside and your outdoors taking a pain free stroll you will be so glad you got it done !

All the best !

Foosball

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:54:28 AM »
Just the fact that you're worried tells me that you're probably the type of person that will follow the post op instructions and take them very seriously.  So you should be fine.

I'm at 4 months right now.  I was very conservative with my recovery for the first 3 months.  I really wasn't out to set any world records.  It was only recently that I over did it, but luckily didn't screw anything up.  I received some good advice on this forum, which was just cool it a couple more months until I'm at the 6 month mark.

Now let me tell you something.  I walked with a slight limp, but it wasn't severe.  I was in pain but not excruciating pain....at least not often.  So I had some doubts before the surgery myself.  

Right now I'm so glad I had the surgery.  I also feel extremely grateful that this type of technique is available at this point in time and that I had a great surgeon.  I'm playing drums without pain for the first time in 7 years.  Already sex is not painful.  I'm making plans to hike/climb half-dome in Yosemite later this year.  I feel like I've got my life back.

There are no guarantees in life.  You need to decide if the risk is worth it for yourself, but like others have said, it's normal to be apprehensive before surgery.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:58:19 AM by Foosball »
RBHR - Oct 21st, 2009 - Dr. Salypongse

saa115

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for some great input.  I am ready now.  Still a little nervous, but I'm ready.  I believe I was so wrapped up in getting all details ironed out for work, insurance, medical, home, etc. that I hadn't slowed down to think about what was actually going to happen in the hospital.  When I finally did, it overwhelmed me. 

In response to "Foosball", your comment about your condition prior to surgery really hit home.  I've been walking with a noticeable limp for several years now.  Its to the point where I can't keep up with my coworkers on a way to a meeting.  I stopped playing basketball 4 yrs ago and golfing 3 yrs ago. By the time I got to the 13th hole, even with a cart, i was in pain.  I can't even push my 9 month old's stroller around the block b/c the swelling causes too much pain.  I know I'm babbling here, but i'm finding it rather therapeutic.  By this time tomorrow I'll be at the hospital, likely having my anesthesiology consult.  I can't thank everyone here enough and Pat and the crew for this website.  It's really been a blessing to find a group of people that know something about what I'm going through; what we all went/are going through.

I'll keep you posted as to my surgery and recovery.  Thank you all.   -Scott

saa115

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »
Hah...just got the call that tomorrow's surgery has been moved up 2 hrs... I guess there's less time to worry...  Cheers, all.

-Scott

Jed

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 04:35:24 PM »
Scott I had my surgery one year ago but I still can't forget how incredibly tense and anxious I was in the days before. The possible complications, the irreversability, the aweful recovery  .... to be truthful I was terrified. But logically the statistics are massively on your side, and what is major surgery for you is perhaps just one of 3 or 4 the surgeons will do that  morning, all in a day's work. The results are wonderful and in a few short weeks you can throw away your walking sticks and resume an active life. I still have a bottle of pain killers, unopened - after a couple of days the pain is not that bad. So rest assured if you are not worried, not panicing, you probably need psychological help more than a new hip.

Tarhoo2

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »
When you see this it will be time to welcome you to "the other side."  Hope all goes well.  Don't hesitate to ask questions and express thoughts about your recovery as you move through it.  As I and many others have said before: ice and elevate!

Kristi

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »
I hope your surgery went well. I like you have had second thoughts.  I am scheduled for March 23rd - 35 year old female, mom of two very busy girls. I am scheduled for the Birmingham Hip. Please post an update on your progress.

saa115

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
Kristi,

My progress updates have been moved to the "22 Hours Post Op Dr. Mont" thread.  Please go there.  I can tell you that I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat