+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 months post-op and on the ice  (Read 5060 times)

johnoke

3 months post-op and on the ice
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:10:03 AM »
and it felt great! Well, up until 45 minutes into the game (playing forward) when I made a turn and then felt a pretty major cramp in my thigh muscle. I stretched it as much as I could on the bench, skipped a few shifts, then tried to play the rest of the game.

I was lucky enough to have my physical therapist on my team, so I felt better. Turns out, the doc said I probably had some scar tissue break free in the thigh from what was cut during surgery, which bleeds into the muscle. It was sore and limited motion for about a week and a half, but then dissipated on its own.

I then went back on the ice pain free and am feeling great. Yes, I'm only about 75% and won't be 100% until a year, but this is still 200% better than I was going into the surgery. No, there no additional danger to the hip itself; it's really just the muscles, tendons and nerves that need the healing and reconditioning to full range of motion.

I played goalie 3 weeks later and felt pretty good. Again, only 75-80% but better than the last time I played!

My PT was helpful in giving me routines for a goalie. He has a "slide pad" where I could practice my side-to-side motions and other exercises. Make sure your PT knows your goals. They can work up a custom training program for you too.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat