+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Four Months Post Op TODAY / Rehab Suggestions  (Read 4977 times)

DebbieAtchley

Four Months Post Op TODAY / Rehab Suggestions
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:25:28 AM »
Does anyone want to discuss how and what they are doing to rehab?  My recommendations from Dr.'s office are to do anything EXCEPT running, jumping.  I go to the Gym for water classes, treadmill & some weights along with walking, recumbent bike & stretching at home.  I do not want to overdo but would like to know what other people are doing 4 months after surgery.  Since I am also overweight, I believe I need more exercise.   I have some discomfort but I choose to not call it pain.  What is your workout like?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Four Months Post Op TODAY / Rehab Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:12:14 PM »
Hi Debbie

I was allowed to do what I wanted after 4 months, but at 61 I just was not able to be extremely active.  I was allowed to ride my bike outside.  Of course, we are in the wrong weather cycle for that.

Here are 3 other doctors post op protocol if you are interested

http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqwhencanirun.php

Can't help you much more.  Maybe some other more active people will jump in and talk.

If you have any pain - is it after doing too much?  You might want to figure out which activity is causing it.  Try doing a little less.  You are still in healing mode.  It takes a good year to get comletely healed. Some say even longer.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

coskater

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »
A lot of what you do just depends on you and what you are comfortable with, I do a lot of exercise and I would certainly not suggest my regimine to you but, her are some ideas. Maybe take a reformers pilates class, I found swimming very nice, just laps with short fins. I would vary strokes crawl, backstroke and breast stroke, maybe sometimes the side stroke. I also walk everyday, even during the snow storms. I bought Yakz to attach to my sneakers, you might try just walking a little extra each day.  I figure skate which builds a lot of those difficult inner thigh muscles and muscles all around the knee and glute medius. Find something you like and go from there.  I started skating about 7 years ago, and found I needed to cross train to get better so I added pilates and ballet.  It makes for a good regimine of activities and I just love to skate so its not something I have to do, it is something I really love to do.

Helpful? I tried... :D :D

momzer2

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
Kudos to coskater--I'm still too afraid to rollerblade.  I'm coming up on 4 months post-op.  I am 48 and love to jog/run.  I do it for exercise, not to run any marathon, and to clear my head.  I have only been running the past couple of years, until my hip got so painful I had to stop this past May.  I only have 2 months and 10 days til I can resume my running!!   :D   I would suggest walking, walking, walking.  This is the best exercise for us healing 'hippies'!  I also do some weights, stretch, use an exercise ball and play Wii.  You can laugh, but bowling, tennis, and softball on Wii gives you a real workout.  Of course you have to pretend like you are actually playing, not sit on the sofa!!  It's a lot of fun and you get a workout without thinking about it.

Just do whatever level pushes you a little, but don't overdo it.  Swimming is excellent if you have access to a pool.  I don't until we open ours in the summer.  Also, anything that makes you improve your balance and strength is good.

Karen  9-17-07 LBHR Barba

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »
Hi Karen

I couldn't not afford WII, so I bought the Xavix tennis game. http://www.xavix.com/   The box was $79 and the tennis package $55  I love it. It has little tennis rackets and is really challenging.  I have played tennis all my life until 10 years ago when my hip went bad.  It took me about 3 days to even start hitting the balls with the electronic version.  They have it programmed to be very challenging.  You really don't use tennis strokes - more racqet ball stokes, but I start panting and sweating right away.  It gives me a real workout after a half hour or so.  It is amazing how hard you can hit the ball and how the different strokes actually work.  I just have to make sure I don't bust the new TV.  The rackets have straps on them.

What's nice is you don't have to be pounding your hip like on a tennis court.  I have the boxing gloves too - but that is almost too much for me.

I think it is a great option for getting some exercise without over doing it. 

My arm felt like it was going to fall off for the first few days. 

Great fun!!!!!

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
A little off subject, but since you all are 4 month plus!!!!! post-op, when do you think, for a person that heals up in a normal amount of time, one can get back on the back of a motorcycle as a passenger?  My surgery is scheduled for next week, but my husband and I are hoping to go on a motorcycle trip out West in June.  Do you think that's something I will be able to do by then?  Thanks.........

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »
Hi

I would think if you have an average recovery that you should be able to ride the motorcycle.

I was given permission to ride a bike early on.  I was just a little afraid about falling and hurting my hip. 

You might be rather stiff straddled on the motorcycle from a long time. You will probably need to get off about every hour or so and stretch.  You should not have a problem throwing your leg over the motorcycle, especially if you can use your husband's shoulder to steady you a little.

Always a good thing to ask your doctor about.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

momzer2

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »
Takila:

You should be just fine to ride.  My hubby and I used to have a Harley WideGlide.  Sold it a few years ago after my husband had his right heel crushed.  Anyway, I know I would be fine to ride right now and I'm 4 months post-op.  Actually, I know I could have done it 4-5 weeks ago.  Just be sure to get off and stretch often like Pat suggested.  The trick is to 'listen' to your body.  Push yourself a little, but don't go crazy.  The first 7-10 post-op is the hardest.  After that, you'll improve so much everyday that you'll 'scare' yourself!!  Good Luck!!

Karen

9-17-07 LBHR Barba

takilasunrise

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:47:26 PM »
My doctor said he sees no problem with me getting on the motorcycle this summer.  We have a Harley Electraglide so it's nice and comfy!  We normally stop every hour/hour and a half anyway for gas and potty/stretching breaks, so I should be ok.  That's sad that you had to get rid of yours, Karen, due to your husband's injury.  We love ours, so I'm sure it broke both of your hearts to have to sell it.  I'm glad to hear recovery can be quick.  Thanks!

joyjoyjoy

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
Hi--
I'm only 3 months post-op. Well actually on Feb 2 I'll be 3 months post op! Before all of this I was really into yoga and pilates.  And at this point I am starting to do gentle yoga with lots props (blocks and strap, pillows, blanket).  I use yoga videos and modify my workout when appropriate.  I feel I need to strenghthen the muscles in my operated leg (right leg) and yoga really helps that.  I've noticed more flexibility and strength since I've started back with the yoga -- about a week ago.  My workout varies from 30 minutes to an hour. I've also discovered walking is good but don't overdo it.  I live in New York and it really is a serious walking kind of city and I have to be conscientious about walking or I'll tire out and start limping a little.  I also found dancing is good -- not a lot of jumping but bouncing worked for me.  I still am looking for water classes.  I understand they're really good for strength. I also do low and no impact aerobics but again don't overdo.  I also still do the physical therapy prescribed to me in India (where I had my surgery) and it's still great and I am getting more and more flexibility. I love exercise.  I feel really good after a workout and a shower.  Cycling was also recommended -- on a stationary bike.  I haven't done that yet though. Anyway that's my two cents!!

Joy
( right hip resurfacing surgery, India, Dr. Bose 11/2/07)

Jamcam

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:59:53 PM »
About 4.5 months for me now. walking mostly with daily excercises of mainly leg lifts. I'm back playing golf at least 2 days a week without any pain though a bit of stiffness in the evenings. My doc basically said the same, "anything but running & jumping". I did push it a bit after about 3 months and suffered with quite a bit of pain but no damage and have just learnt to take it slowly. After doing alot of internet reading I thought it would be easier than it has been but beginning to really feel good and enjoy the increased movement, no pain & no drugs. Am keen to give Pilates a go so good to hear others are reaping the benefits.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat