+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing after hip debridement  (Read 2833 times)

PaddyG

Hip resurfacing after hip debridement
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:35:42 AM »
Hello all, I have a quick question concerning the possibility of hip resurfacing surgery. I am a 39 year old male and had debridement surgery on my right hip almost 10 years ago (aye, I was 29 at the time :() due to osteoarthritis. My hip(s) are now starting play up again, to the extent that lateral movement is highly restricted and a basketball game last week left me in pain for 2-3 days and I'm still feeling the effects. I've a friend in the uk (I'm in Switzerland) who had resurfacing last year and is extremely happy with the outcome and I'm seriously considering the option myself. Question is, is there anyone in Switzerland who does the operation (I've a feeling David McMinn visits a clinic in Zürich to operate, but I'm not sure) and is my previous surgery a contra-indication for resurfacing?
Help much appreciated.
Paddy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip resurfacing after hip debridement
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.

My list of doctors does not include all hip resurfacing doctors all over the world.  I am in the USA and most of my info comes from some doctors that write to me and mostly patients.

I went to Dr. De Smet of Belgium because he is one of the most experienced and best hip surgeons in the world.  He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings and over 3000 THRs.  Mr. McMinn and Mr. Traecy in the UK are also very experienced with over 4000 resurfaicngs.

I assume you would be a candidate for hip resurfacing.  If you send an email to Dr. De Smet and attach your x-rays in a digital format   .jpg , he will answer you quickly.  He will give your a free consultation about your situation.

I choose him because of his experience.  You are much closer to him than I am in the USA.  He does many patients from surrounding countries in Europe.

Other than looking at the UK and Belgium surgeons, I am sorry I can help with any other info.  Here is my doctors list where you can find their email addresses and information   http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Pat Webmaster/Owner Surface Hippy
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 11:32:15 AM »
Hi  Paddy

I have had 2 hip arthroscopy procedures, one 11 years ago and the second 13 months ago. I had great relief from the first, but actually got worse after the second and I was bone on bone with cysts by July of this year. The result of all that is that I had my left hip resurfaced 10 days ago and I'm feeling great! So as far as I know there is no contraindication, and I imagine many others will have followed the same path. I am 45 and live in the Uk, my surgery was done by Prof Richardsons team and they are all brilliant!
Hope this helps,

Maggie

PaddyG

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »
Thanks for the answers.
Maggie, my procedure wasn't arthroscopic, they totally opened me up and had to temporarily displace the trocanter to gain access to the inner part of the joint. So I now have a 10" L-shaped scar on my leg and 2 titanium pins where they re-attached the trocanter.
I'm not sure if I'll consider the surgery immediately as the discomfort has subsided quite a bit and I'm on bit of a fitness regime to shed around 15 kilos (almost 1/3 the way there so far), which has probably relived a bit of strain my poor hips.
It's deffo something I will consider in the next 2 - 3 years though.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear