+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurface Incision Size  (Read 4970 times)

BillT

Hip Resurface Incision Size
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »
I am looking for some feedback on the average incision size for Hip Resurface.

I don't see this topic mentioned on several of the Pro/Con Resurface sites.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip Resurface Incision Size
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
Hi  Welcome to Hip Talk

I will give you a group of articles to read about incision size.  I will tell you this that the size of the incision has no bearing on the rate of recovery.  My doctor, Dr. De Smet of Belgium, uses a large incision so he can get in and get out as quickly as possible. It also allows him to work easily without disturbing anything in the area that should not be disturbed. He does one hip in about 45 mintues.  He says the less time you are under anasthesia, the quicker your recovery since it is easier on your body.  He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings.

Some doctors us the MIS type incision like Dr. Bose.  He is able to do the complete surgery thru the smaller incision, but it takes much longer.

Here are articles by doctors that explain the variations:

This page has several articles
http://www.surfacehippy.info/surgicalapproaches.php

http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqincisionlength.php

http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqmis.php

That should get you going.  My advice after having a BHR and reading and studying for over 3 years is to select the experienced surgeon you trust - then let them decide what type of incision is best and what type of hip device is best.  The surgeon selection is the most important factor - they have the experience.  Reading and study is great so you know what to expect - but if you are not a surgeon, you can't understand things like they can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ronnie

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »
My incision is about 8ins. long
            Ronnie

marathonhippo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »
My incision is about 8 inches long as well...
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

dgm

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:47:29 AM »
My incision is around 10 inches long. Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Ardnas

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
Hi - I had my BHR 6 weeks ago and my incision is about 12in long.  My surgeon explained it is this size because they have to take the hip out to work on it with the least disturbance.  Sandra

takilasunrise

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:25:29 AM »
My incision is about 12 inches long.  I had 29 staples. 

Ardnas

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 06:48:01 PM »
Hi Bill,

I think it all depends on the surgeon.  Mine was about 12 inch but was so neat that 6 weeks post op it is healing perfectly.  I had disolving stiches so there is no marks and with the help of bio oil I hope to have practically no scar at all.  Hope this helps.

Sandra

karind

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
My incision is 5 inches and my surgeon used the steristrips with dissolving stitches.

Karin

Maggie

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:06:48 PM »
Another 8 inch incision. I had about 23 staples and at 17 weeks the scar is healing well, I'm applying bio oil too which helps keep things supple I believe.

Maggie

coskater

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »
My scar is about 11 inches long, I had dissolving stitches underneath and glue on top and have a very nice thin scar that is healing well, 6 months out.

;D
Leslie
R BHR
10/2/07
Treacy

john

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »
Thanks for asking. I'm almost 4 months post op. I thought the incision was a lot longer but when I just measured it my incision is only 9 inches long. I had 32 staples and it healed up real nice. I used emu oil on it after the staples were removed two weeks post op. Up until then I would take a shower in the morning with the big, spendy Smith and Nephew bandage on and then remove it after the shower and put a new bandage on. I didn't put anything on it during that time, just kept it clean.

rlm869

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
mine is 8 inches long and my surgeon also used dissolving stitches with steri strips. from what i have read, the incision size is dependent on the surgeon's approach as well as the size of the patient.
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

SJS

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 10:21:59 AM »
My incision is eight inches long and I have been using vitamin E since two week post op. I too had stitches and steri strips. The scar is healing nicely, but remains tender.

drmike-s

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 03:04:04 PM »
My incision is 9.5" long and appears very thin after almost 4 years.

IATS

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
Mine is about 9 to 10 inches. Got my staples out after 8 days and steri strips applied for one week after that. Healed very nicely. I had the procedure 3 weeks ago today and was back at work last Monday.

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »
I had my husband pull out the tape measure and I am the proud owner of a very clean 4 inch incision that I thought would be covered by a bikini but it looks like most of it will show. No biggie, I live on the coast so I'm going to use as - while surfing - shark attack story -  if anyone asks. ha ha ha

Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

xocy

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »
Lisa and I used the same surgeon, Dr. Gross. I have two incisions, both under 4". They are healing fine.

Mike
Bilat
Dr. Gross
6/23/08 and 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Big Bill

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 12:19:59 AM »
Hi everyone--Big Bill here---at 9 days post-op I decided to measure my incision. The wife maintains it is a "male thing" ...but I informed her that the ladies measure ,too ! My incision is 5" on the dot. I had the anterior approach and it was glued with Dermabond. Being 6' 5" ,it looks good to me! I am more concerned what transpired under the incision. It is amazing how good I feel and how well I am doing. Went from 1 crutch Charlie to the "Master of the Cane" today! Well ...not really master yet...but that is what I am going to call it ! Going to the Dr. on Monday for my first post-op visit. They said they made a DVD for me with all of my old x-rays over the last few years and the final one showing the resurfacing ! Way cool....or "HIP" as we say here! 
       Talk to you all soon,

Big Bill, Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy  C.A.S.H.   8)

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 12:54:40 AM »
4 short inches here..

You go Dr. Gross

Oh and THANK YOU

Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster