+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal Ions and a Great Doctor...  (Read 2256 times)

powderhippy

Metal Ions and a Great Doctor...
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:34:59 AM »
Hi Everyone,
 Cut to the chase. I know metal ions and cup angle have been a major topic in the world of hip resurfacing. Its had me going ever since I found my first resurfacing had a cup angle of 56 degrees. That was done in 2006 just before the Hip Resurfacing world found that maybe the angle shouldn't be that great. Had my other hip done 2 years ago with an angle of 45 degrees. Of course I freaked out when I found out the angle of my first hip. Dr. Gross and Lee told me the component was placed perfectly and NOT to worry.
 As many of you know, I pound these hips.. Skiing, mtn.biking and many miles of backpacking. Blood work just came back where my Cobalt was a 1.1 and Chromium 1.2 ppb. Normal blood values are 1 ppb.  So with 2 hips at 6 yrs and 2 yrs. Yes, I know there have been failures, and I feel for those hippys, as even great doctors are not 100 per cent perfect. I feel blessed at this stage, with great working hips, a great doctor (and Lee) and tons more miles to put on these babies...So with good blood work, no more worrying until my next blood work in another 2 years....!   LOL.
 Keep this great site going Pat....and hello to all those Hippys. Hope you had a great winter skiing. Now its time to hike to those great wildflower fields....Regards, Shelly Perlmutter
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

John C

Re: Metal Ions and a Great Doctor...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:02:15 AM »
Hey Shelly,
Great to hear from you, and congrats on the ion numbers. I remember when you first heard about the 56 degree cup angle, so these new numbers must be a huge and welcome relief. I have not seen much published data relating the Biomet devices and ion numbers, but based on the few of us that have published our numbers on this site, it is looking very good.
It sounds like you got in some good skiing this winter, and are loving every minute of it. Keep pounding those hips and having fun!
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:59 AM »
Shelly, thanks for your post. Always good to hear from active hippys who are doing so well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »
Especially with a steepish angle.  Good job.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

sdunn4

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
Just a quick note on metal ions- I also had Dr. Gross as my doctor for the right hip resurfacing, completed 2 years ago.  I have been extremely active and of course I was interested in finding out my test results for metal ions.  The results were 1.6 ug/L for Cobalt, 1.8 ug/L for Chromium, and 0 for Titanium.  For a point of reference I have the uncemented Biomet device at a 32 degree angle.

We hear of the problem cases on the forum but I think it's important to publicize the good results as well!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
That's good, Steve... I was relieved when I found mine were good as well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal