+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Home: Quick Update  (Read 4671 times)

Clarkefan

Home: Quick Update
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »
Fellow Hippies, I'll update more fully in my Blog, but wanted to announce that I am home from my right hip resurfacing. It is quite a mix of emotions and sensations, but a brief synopisis is that after waking from surgery, the spinal block had me feeling deceptively well (I think I made a number of jokes with the surgical team). The day after was all that you could fear: pain, discomfort, nausea, disorientation, helplessness, a grand mix of unpleasant experiences. I did however manage to use a walker to make it to my chair. I was convinced that I would be in no fit state to make it home in 2 more days.

Well, the day after I felt just a little better, progressed from walker to two crutches for PT. Managed to do the entire program and took the practice steps twice. Still, pain medication made it all possible.

The following day I was preparing to return home. PT had me practice with one crutch for a few steps (not easy). But after a brief car ride I made it back to the house with the help of family and friends. I find I am able to get around with crutches, but wish I could use just one (so I could carry my coffee to the table). For pain, I'm down to one pill every 5 hours or so, would like to resort to Advil, but I'm not sure of its impact on healing. Will ask the doctor.

The value of returning home is not having anyone wake you up 3 times a night to get your vitals... I only woke once to make it to the bathroom. So, will see what this week has to bring.

In general, I'd say "ouch", but I'll

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Home: Quick Update
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:48:53 AM »
Hi

Glad to hear you made it home.  Sorry to hear about your pain and problems after surgery.  You can never predict what will happen.  Many don't have problems while others do.  The only thing for sure is that in time you will feel much, much better.

I stayed in the hospital 2 1/2 days and when I left I could not take the codene pain meds since they upset my stomach.  Dr. De Smet let me just take Advil.  They gave us a type of NSAID to go with the codene to help heal the bone around the hip.  So I imagine your doctor, being from the UK, will also let you take the Advil.  YOu do need to ask him. 

You will feel better once you are settled in at home.  I was on one crutch at 4 days, so you might be able to get by with the one crutch in a day or so.  You have to go by your own body.  The crutch actually ends up just being a tool for balance since you can step on your operated leg.

Good Luck.  Stay in touch when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:59 PM »
Welcome home!  You will be amazed at how you will feel in one week, and then two, etc.  The first few days I wondered what the heck I did to myself.  Thank goodness for painkillers!  When you can finally get to one crutch and carry your own coffee, you will be feeling really good about things!  When I was in the hospital, I did have a couple of moments where I broke down and cried, wondering why I did this to myself.  I had one in the PT room.  Actually, I was witnessing a 99 year old woman that couldn't speak any English wailing from the pain.  She had fallen and broken her hip and they were getting her to do her PT.  It was so sad to watch and hear.  I started crying from that, then I started to cry for myself.  But by the last day (I had my surgery on Tuesday, left the hospital Friday), I was smiling (because I got out of bed by myself and put on my own clothes!).  The nurse even said she could see a big difference in me.  Yeah, I got home and had a couple of more crying sessions (like when I couldn't get up from the couch and my hubby had to pick me up), but after a week or so, I could see I was making progress everyday. 

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery! 

Clarkefan

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the warm wishes all. Today was not too bad. I spent most of it on my feet, attending my daughter's dance program at preschool, making it to a local coffee shop for mocha and a fruit cup, and then walking around Safeway with my wife stocking up on all that I missed (Diet Coke). I also was able to walk around the yard a bit today, enjoy the sunshine, admire the spring flowers, and see the kids play on the corner (wishing I could join in).

rlm869

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:49:28 PM »
horray for you! you are making great progress. i live on the second floor at my apartments, so getting outside and enjoying the spring flowers is a little more difficult for me. but, i have a larger apartment so i am doing my best to make it a sort of obstacle course :)

tomorrow is a big day. out to pt, then haircut, then lunch...yippee! i feel pretty good and my only real complaint is the crutches.

rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 11:53:22 PM »
rlm869

Have a fun day tomrrow.  Don't worry about the crutches - soon you will be walking without them having a great summer.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Clarkefan

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 09:21:39 AM »
Yes, I have to admit, the crutches are a bother (I'm going cane shopping -- borrowing -- tonight or tomorrow). Was hoping for something stylish (skulls, dragon, sword-cane...), but think it'll probably be more practical. I did manage a short walk today (living at the bottom of a hill, it's kinda hard to get to a flat surface. I'd like to try something longer, if possible, very soon. After I get the staples out (looking like 3 days from now), I'll probably go to my healthclub for some upper body action. Would love to hop on a exercise bike, but restricted from "cardio" stuff until the 5-week eval.

Clarkefan

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »
I thought I would post a quick update on week 3 post op. Generally, things are going very well. I managed a mile walk yesterday (one crutch), sitting at the office is not too uncomfortable, and the joint feels better than it did 22 days ago.

I still have significant knee pain, particularly when lying down, and a good night's sleep remains elusive. However, I seldom need more than a couple of Advil for pain.

I've even ventured to my health club on a number of occasions for some upper body workouts. There are perhaps 5-6 machines that don't violate my hip precautions and I'm mostly sticking with low weight, high rep exercises. I must say, hobbling around a hard-core healthclub on a crutch does draw some attention.

With 2 weeks until my X-ray and evaluation, I'm looking forward to getting back to a full range of motion. I have tried a few tentative steps without a cane or crutch, and realize I still have a way to go, but I assume the next 14 days will bring continued improvement in both comfort and muscle strength.

Here's hoping...

Clarkefan

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
I've just returned from my 5-week check up and X-ray (really 4 weeks, 4 days). The X-rays looked great, and I heard those wonderful words "All Restrictions Lifted."

So far today I have done a toe-touch stretch (didn't quite make it), picked up some odds and ends of the floor, and managed to walk around the house w/o my cane. Planning on going to the gym later today to ride the exercise bike for about 10 minutes, to get back in the swing of things, and I start full-scale, weight-bearing physical therapy in two days.

Feeling better already! Nine more weeks, and I think I'll be ready to start my martial arts training a-new.

bciam

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 04:02:12 PM »
Glad to hear you are now unrestricted !

Are you still using a cane or crutch or are you pretty much un-aided ?

I wish I could fast forward to recovery but alas have to wait until late June.  A little nervous after reading your first post regarding the pain. Yikes !

Tarhoo2

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:21:44 PM »
Congrats!  Glad to hear you're making good progress.  I go for my "4-week" follow-up Friday, 5/9, and am looking forward to getting the "all clear" then, as well.  Will look forward to hearing about your progress.  Regards.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »
Hi

Glad to hear everything is going well for you.

It will take a long time for your knees and the rest of your body to recover.  It has been compensating for your bad hip for a long time.  Many of us had knee and back problems for a long time after surgery.

Keep up the good work.  You will have a great summer.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Clarkefan

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »
Today is my official 6-weeks Post-op, and I really am feeling much better. My PT has progressed to 20 minutes on a stationary bike, as much weigh as I can tolerate in leg exercises, and some pretty amazing upper-body workouts (I'm now up to 20 pull-ups and 25 dips w/o a break, a new record), and I'm finally getting back to my pre-op weight (lost about 6-7 pounds in the first 2 weeks--42 year old guy weighing in at 118 lbs, I looked a tad thin). My legs also appear to have about the same amount of muscle mass... finally.

I've been teaching boxing class (with no impact and having a partner demonstrate the moves), but I can do most of the basic warm-up moves, which feels great.

Walking is as easy as it's ever been (much easier, in fact because it doesn't hurt to walk). My only areas for improvement are in range of motion. My right leg is still stiff; the stretching helps, but there's a long way to go. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »
Hi
Glad to hear you are doing better.

It takes a long time to get your ROM back and really get back to normal.  At least 6 months where you actually feel normal and one year until your body is almost fully healed.  Some think it takes more than a year to become fully healed.

Why don't you shoot a video of you teaching boxing - it would be great for other people to see.

I have a new video section I am working on  http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videos.php

You can upload your videos on my video site then I can post them on the Surface Hippy Website

http://www.surfacehippyvideos.com/  That software is not working well so I am posting them on the main website.  It is difficult to send videos via email - so you can upload them there.

Good Luck.  I hope you continue to get better and better.  I was really stiff at the 6 weeks time frame too.  I did some water therapy with water walking and stretches. That really helped me.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »
Great news  :)

Very encouraging to hear of your progress.  Keep your reports coming, and keep up the good work.

-Brian 

diann1460

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 07:54:27 AM »
Thank you so much for your posts!  I am a Dr.Mont hippie (2 1/2 weeks out) and see progress similar to yours each day!  It has been so motivating for me to follow your story as you are exactly 2 months ahead of me.  I too am off all pain meds ( one alleve at night) and really looking forward to getting rid of the crutch/cane.  Can't wait to drive...my four kids and I are going a little stir crazy!  thanks again!

Clarkefan

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
Hello folks. Yesterday was my 3-month check up and X-rays. The news was outstanding. The X-rays looked great, and I'm back to doing nearly everything I was able to do (running and high-impact the only exceptions). I believe my hard work leading up to surgery has paid off; Dr. Mont commented that I'm walking as well as some people one year after surgery.

Last night I returned to full-force teaching in boxing class, with some energetic kicking "to boot." One of the first times that I felt muscle soreness that had nothing to do with the operation.

I still need to do my standard leg exercises every other day (for the rest of my life, as I was told)... but I'm up to about 10 pounds on each leg. It's difficult, but manageable.

I don't have to return for another 6 months, so it's pretty much up to me to do my exercises and continue along the path to recovery. To summarize, after 3 months I'm able to do things I couldn't do 4 months ago. I feel almost 100 percent (minus some stiffness).

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great at 3 months.  Hope it all continues to go well for you.

You only feel like you are at 100%, but you won't be there for awhile.  It takes almost a full year for the body to completely heal.  Some say even longer.

Keep up the good work. 

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:39:14 PM »
Clarkefan,

Congrats on your progress.  I hope you the best and continued healing.  Thanks also for sharing your experience with me.  My surgery is complete and I am on my 5th day and feeling pretty good.  I hope to follow in your path of recovery.

-Brian

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal