+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing vs. THR  (Read 1710 times)

annerobyn

Hip resurfacing vs. THR
« on: April 11, 2008, 04:39:29 AM »
I am a 52 year old female  - moderately severe OA right hip, no history of osteoporosis. Surgeon recommends THR not resurfacing for me. His reasons - his cutoff
age for resurfacing is 50 for women, because women have a 4 times greater risk of fracture. I'm scheduled for July and now VERY confused about what route to take.
Any help for me? By the way, he is one of only two doctors where I live who do resurfacing.  Many thanks

Annatrk

Re: Hip resurfacing vs. THR
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »
Hi Annerobyn,
I will be 52 in Nov and am scheduled for BHR on 4/30/08.  The first opinion I got was to do a THR and I then realized he did not do resurfacing.  I then went for 3 opinons with docs that do both and all 3 said I was an excellent candidate for resurfacing.  I would get another opinion. My doc said I may never need a THR but if I do, it will be like doing it for first time rather than a revision.  I figure by then I'll be 90!!!
Anna

abc

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
Annerobyn:

Maybe if you mention your local, somebody will recommend a surgeon for a second opinion.

Al

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »
Annerobyn

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I was 61 when I had my hip resurfaced.  I know some other ladies that were 67.  Age is not the determining factor. You bone stock and hip condition determine if you are a hip resurfacing candidate.

The problem with the new US surgeons is they are very inexperienced and will not do any hip that could be difficult at all. 

You need to look at my list and choose an experienced surgeon http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Where do you live?

Many of us often have to travel to get what we want.  I did not find any doctors in the US very willing to do me 2 years ago, so I went to Dr. De Smet in Belgium.  He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings.  I did not have insurance, but even if I had, I would have choosen him.  Many people have their insurance companies cover his surgeries.

There are some experineced surgeons in the US if you look at my list.  Dr. Gross has done over 1300, Dr. Rogerson in WI has done over 250, Dr. Clarke has done over 500, Dr. Su over 500.

Choose the experienced surgeons and you should be able to get what you want.  You are still very young and should not choose a THR if you can have a hip resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat