+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post surgery sleeping tips?  (Read 2452 times)

austin.m

Post surgery sleeping tips?
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:08:07 PM »
Just completed what seems to be a very successful bilateral resurfacing. Have been essentially pain free since the operation, taking one Percocet to help me sleep for a few nights and moving to Tylenol after about 5 days post surgery. I'm now 11 days post surgery , walking very easily on crutches and even able to take a few steps without them. Couldn't possibly be happier with the outcome so far! My one challenge is getting a good night's sleep. Does anyone have any hints (position, use of pillows etc.) as to what might have helped you get a solid night of sleep?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Post surgery sleeping tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Hi

Congratulations on your new hips!

It just takes time to get a good nights sleep.  If you only had one hip done, you could sleep on your unoperated side with a nice big pillow between your legs.  Since you had both done, I guess you will have to wait until you can finally sleep on one of your sides.  Some people can do it quickly.  It took me several months before I could sleep on my operated side.

Nice large pillows under you legs help you back feel better.  The rule is toes above the nose.

Also many of us slept in our recliner chairs quite a bit.  I napped in mine a lot and even slept much of the night in it.  It just feels more comfortable.

I guess some people just take sleeping pills to get a good sleep. 

Your body takes time to get ride of all the anasthesia and some people are bothered by the heprin or whatever you might be taking for blood clot prevention also.

You just might want to take a perocet or ask the doctor for a sleeping pill at night for awhile.  Having both hips done just makes it more difficult for you. 

Try a big pile of pillows under your legs and your lazy boy chair.

Good LUck.  It will get better.  Then the recovery seems almost like a dream.  It does take a while.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

austin.m

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »
Thanks Pat - think I can remember the "toes over nose" bit. Think I have an aversion to pain killers and/or sleeping pills, so I'll stick with some Tylenol PM. Just want to thank you again for all of the help you and your site have provided me over the past couple of months. I'm 11 days post op and I'm already able to walk with just a bit of support from a cane, as the one side is just a bit weaker than the other. I'll be back on the soccer field in no time! Thanks for all of the encouragement I got, direct and indirect, from your site.

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:22:08 PM »
I slept in my recliner for a good 8 weeks after my surgery.  I only recently started sleeping on my operated side.  Sleeping on my un-operated side with a pillow between my legs was still quite uncomfortable for quite awhile.  I can actually say I've been sleeping on both sides now for maybe 2 weeks without any extra support.  I personally have and still need the "white" noise to sleep, so I usually have fan running in the room and I sleep so much better.  I've always been a light sleeper, but with the white noise, I don't wake up to every little noise in the house! 

dgm

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 07:51:01 AM »
Congrats on your successful surgery!  I agree with Pat that pillows propping the leg up were a great help in sleep.  My doctor required the purchase of contour memory foam pillows for use between your legs when sleeping on your side, but I found that they worked great stacked on one another to prop my leg up.  The contour part was nice because I didn't worry about my leg moving out of position.  I also found that once I was able to become more active - in PT and walking more - my sleep improved as well. 

Best,
Denise

RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

austin.m

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
Thanks Denise - you're right, sleep has been easier each night - helped by PT and long walks. Just had my first sleep through the night experience! The pillow under the knees seems to help a lot.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear