+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: A very satisfied (so far) bilateral resurfacing customer  (Read 2451 times)

austin.m

A very satisfied (so far) bilateral resurfacing customer
« on: April 14, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
It's now 12 days post surgery and time to write something. First, I'd like to again thank Pat for this site - don't know where I would have been without it, particularly as I started the process. Second, and from an admittedly biased source, if you need to do both hips - get them done at the same time. From everything I can see, the first couple of days may be a bit tougher, but the rest of the process is very similar. One surgery, one rehab, two hips - seems like a much easier and faster process.

As fellow bilats, I particularly enjoyed Michelle and Kani's story. Despite Michelle's insistence that each case is different, her speedy recovery was an incredibly useful yardstick (challenge) for me. I think I've been pretty fortunate from a pain management perspective. Once off the epidural, I kept waiting for the pain to appear, but it never really showed up, so I used a Percocet to help me sleep for a few nights, but have been on Tylenol only since about my fourth day. No swelling, and the only real pain was caused by overdoing it on the exercises. The original plan was for me to spend a few days in a rehab facility after 3 days in hospital, but my doctor and PT team liked the progress enough that they let me go straight home - something I'd recommend to anyone who has help at home. Starting on a walker, I quickly graduated to two crutches and I'm now down to one crutch used to balance my slightly weaker right hip. In fact, if my right hip was as strong as my left I think I'd be walking without any support at all (Michelle - thanks again for mentioning that each hip will tell its own story).

Must have equipment - crutches, a toilet seat, a reclining seat parked in front of the TV and a plastic urinal. I had amazing support from my wife and don't like wearing socks anyway, so didn't need any of the grabbing tools. There are lots of great exercises to challenge yourself with, but the best advice I got was simply to walk, walk then walk some more. Much to my surprise, I really appreciated the walker for the first couple of days. It was very stable platform, and you can easily vary the degree to which you use it for support. While it was liberating to get on the crutches, the walker was actually very useful in those early days.

My surgeon was Dr. Vail at UCSF (San Francisco) and I couldn't recommend him more highly. His low key approach was perfect for me and it certainly looks like he got it right. Based on the surgical times referenced on this site, his technique may take a little longer, but he does everything possible to preserve the muscles around the hip and I feel as if this helped a lot post-op (this may be standard, but it didn't seem so).

Back to work tomorrow (desk job so no big deal). Thanks Pat.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: A very satisfied (so far) bilateral resurfacing customer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
Hi Austin

Thank you for posting your story.  I am gald things are going well for you.

I am glad the website was a help to you.

I can't imagine myself returning to work at 12 days post op - but I was older.  I was able to walk a mile a day with one crutch at that time, but I was still very, very tired.

I hope you are able to make it thru the day.  I think you will be very tired.  Hopefully, your job won't be too stressful for awhile.

I could not sit at the computer that long that quickly after surgery.

I wish you the best of luck. 

Let us know how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

austin.m

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:11:29 PM »
Yesterday was surgery + 19 days. Walked to the top of a hill then walked another 3 miles and felt great - my lower back was a bit sore but the legs felt fine. Then came home and walked the rest of the evening without crutches, which was the greatest feeling yet! I've just been walking from one end of the house to the other, over and over, but I can already walk without crutches and without a limp. Feel like I should have opened a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Pat - is this normal timing, because it feels fast to me? For what it's worth, consider me a huge fan of having both hips done at the same time (unless, of course, you only have a problem with one). Think Dr. Vail nailed it!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
Hi Austin

We all heal at our own rate.  I healed fast with only one hip and you are on the fast track with 2 hips.  It is wonderful to hear about the fast and easier recoveries.  The problem is, not all people have them.

Be grateful that your body is healing fast and you had a great surgeon.  It takes both to have a fast recovery.

I wish ou the very best.  I hope you can do anything you want this summer.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bernsber

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:49:34 AM »
Austin,

Did you need a transfusion after your bilat?
Did you need a dysplasia cup?

Just two questions I have, because I'm working on getting bilateral, and I have dysplasia. I want Dr Bose to do it, but one of the questions I have is what the chance of needing a transfusion is. Being that he is in India, I don't have the oportunity to pre-donate my own blood.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:52:46 AM by bernsber »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
Hi

As far as I have learned, bi-lats need blood.  Overseas, people with one hip don't need blood, but bi-lats do.  I think in the US they use blood even for one hip.

It depends on the length of time the surgery takes and the surgeons skill.  One hip is done in 45 minutes by my doctor while others take an hour or two.

Bi-lats take much longer so the blood is needed.

Just write to Dr. Bose and ask if he thinks you need a displasia cup.  He is very good about answering questions and only a surgeon looking at your x-rays could give you the correct answer.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bernsber

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:12:13 AM »
Here is Dr Bose's reply to my Xrays, and a Myspace link to a Xray of my Pelvis.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=39792669&albumID=1874220&imageID=34402429

I'll also post this under "my" thread.

Thanks for sending the xrays of Benjamin.

This is a challenging condition. He has gross coxa vara . In addition he has acetabular dysplasia. The combination of this makes resurfacing very unlikely. However I would give it a try in view of his age if he was my patient especially on the right side . The cup side is also complex because of gross dysplasia.

He may require a dysplasia cup

The plan for him would be to do a BHR cup ( either standard or dysplasia). Then assess the femoral side. There is also femoro –acetabular mismatch. If possible to restore function with a resurfacing , I would go ahead. If not he needs a stem with a modular BHR head on the femoral side. There is no point in doing a resurfacing if it would not restore normal biomechanics of the hip.

I should thank you for all that you do…

With best regards
Vijay bose
chennai

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:28:10 PM by Pat Walter »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat