+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I don't have a PT  (Read 2116 times)

rbrill

I don't have a PT
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »
I'm male, 45yrs old in excellent physical shape.  My doc said that I wouldn't require anything more than work at home on the exercises they gave me at the hospital.   Do the exercises and make sure I'm moving about on my crutches and things will come together for me fairly quickly.

Should I press for a bona fide PT? 

Clarkefan

Re: I don't have a PT
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
Standard qualifier: I'm no expert and would not presume to dispense medical advice. But at 42 years old and 3 weeks post op, I can tell you my experience with a physical therapist has been relatively uninspiring. Primarily, I do the exercises I was prescribed and walk as much as I can (just strolled for about 1 mile with my crutch). The first time the therapist came to my home it was helpful (I could ensure I was doing things correctly, and I needed a hand with one or two of the exercises). By the second time, however, she mostly sat and watched me do what I was doing on my own anyway. My doctor didn't allow much leeway in my exercises (nothing fancy or advanced yet), so she really didn't have that much to contribute. For the past 21 days, I have dutifully performed all my exercises twice a day, and they're getting very easy (except for the knee pain, but that's only when I go to my fully allowed range of motion).

In two weeks, if the X-rays look good, I'll move on to out-patient PT with some more advanced moves. I sense I'll need the help and guidance at that point.

rlm869

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »
i agree with clarkefan. i wish i had waited and used my pt for later when i can put more weight on the leg and am allowed more exercises by my surgeon. at this point i have spent 3 weeks 3X per week in therapy doing the same exercises i do at home. the only difference is the electrotherapy which supposedly helps tissues heal faster.

save your money and start upping the reps of the exercises you already do. i am assuming you are doing the foot flexes, glute squeezes, pressing the back of your knees to the bed, and the abduction? i upped those to 30 reps in the third week and am now at 45. as i said in my other email, be patient with yourself. at your next visit to your surgeon let him know about your feelings and ask him about pt then.
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

abc

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »
I started going to an out-patient PT at 3 weeks.  I had a lot of swelling in my knee and could not deflect it.  I had two large knots on the tendons that run directly behind the knee.  After a couple of sessions of ultrasound and massage by the PT those knots quickly dissapated.

Also the PT had some other tricks like a balancing board, a large execise ball (to work hamstrings while on back and quads against wall), incorporated an elastic band for a few exercises and a variety of other exercises that seemed to really isolate some weak muscles.  Also, from the beginning, she put me on the upright exercise bike with the seat raised high (so as not to violate the 90 degree restriction) which seemed to pay dividends.

In conclusion, I found the PT to be invaluable.  Also, since she has dealt with many hip replacements her knowledge level is high and she is much more accessible for asking questions then the surgeon. 

rbrill

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll keep working at home diligently

john

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:02:48 AM »
I did the same home exercises everyone has described for a month by myself and it went well. I did a little resistance work in a warm therapy pool for a couple weeks after the incision was healed over and then I started going to see a PT about  6 weeks post surgery and did that for a month. It was helpful with range of motion and strength.Once I got back on my elliptical machine at about 2 months I really started improving.
Good luck!

SJS

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
After surgery, I had PT at home for the first two weeks. At week three, I began out patient therapy. The exercises mirrored what I was doing at home and I considered not scheduling further. I talked with the therapist and decided to go one more week.  At week four more advanced exercises were added (using hip precautions) that pushed a bit harder. Electric stimulus was added and it benefited greatly. Week five (this week) additional exercises will be added to push the quads and increase my range of motion. For me, therapy will continue through week six. I return to work, week seven, and will no longer see a PT at that time. We have a company fitness center that I will use to continue rehabilitation.  In the end, our success is based on " due diligence" whether doing PT at home or with assistance. There are many success stories on this website and the common denominator is willingness, drive and determination. Best of luck.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat