+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Am I Crazy ? Hope to play hockey again.  (Read 12100 times)

bciam

Am I Crazy ? Hope to play hockey again.
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
I wasn't sure exactly where to post, but I would describe myself as a hockey player / triathlete so I figured this is probably the best place. 

I have been accessing this site for about the last 7 months as that was about the time I was diagnosed with OA in both hips.  My quick story: I am 35 yrs old and about 6-yrs ago I felt my first "twinge" in my right hip while trying to extend it out to the side.  Figuring it was a sports injury I tried rehabing myself (I know more than any doctor right ?).  Well as you might suspect over the next 6-yrs I gradually lost more mobility and pain increased and when this September my left hip started I finally got the x-ray and was informed of the OA.  I just had a FAO procedure done on my left hip in hopes of saving that hip at least for a while, but after much consideration I also scheduled a BHR resurfacing for June on the right hip.

I have read just about everything on this site as well as spoken to several doctors and have convinced myself that this is the right decision, but I am beggining to worry that I am too young.   

Looking for support and/or any folks around my age who have had the procedure done :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:22:55 PM by Pat Walter »

Clarkefan

Re: Am I Crazy ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:50:23 PM »
Crazy? No. But you are correct that it's a major decision and the long-term (20-30 year... 40-year I hope) data simply don't exist (at least to my knowledge).

I'll soon enter my 4th week post op, and I still have those nagging questions, but I can also tell you I am amazed at what I can do with my hip now that I couldn't before. Sure, the surgical discomfort is still there (and I'm not yet allowed to violate the dreaded "hip precautions"), but I can now raise my leg to nearly 90 degrees. Four weeks ago I could hardly raise my leg in the front. So I have some hope that I made the right decision at the right time. I could have toughed it out a while longer, I suppose, but I wanted to return to my active lifestyle; I wanted to climb hills with my kids; I wanted to walk through the Magic Kingdom and not be the one having to constantly stop and sit (or not sit if the seat was uncomfortable).

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »
Hi

You are very young at 35 and definitely should be considering hip resurfacing instead of a THR if possible.

I was 61 when I had my hip resurfacing and still felt I was too young for a THR.

You are never too young for a hip resurfacing if your life has come to a stand still.  If you need pain medicine to sleep - or can't even sleep with pain meds.  You can also wait too long and end up missing the window of opportunity for a hip resurfacing.

If you want to get back into the sports you love, you need good hips. The best solution is a hip resurfacing.

I am sorry that I am not your age - but almost twice your age and would not accept a THR. 

There have been a lot of younger people with hip problems.  It is just up to you how long you want to put your life on hold and medicate your body to get thru the day and night.  Fortunately, there is a good solution for bad hips. 

Good LUck and Keep in Touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »
Boy I am knew at this.

It took me about 15 min to figure out how to reply. 

Thank you both Clarkefan and Pat for the response.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »
Hi Bicam

I am sorry you had difficulty with posting on the group.  I have tried several types of software programs and none seem easy or intuitive. 

I am glad you figured it out and hope you will keep in touch.

Good LUck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rlm869

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 10:32:32 PM »
crazy? absolutely not. at 38, i can tell you i had more than my share of worries and doubts. i had to re-talk myself into the surgery 2 weeks before. i can tell you that i am VERY happy i went ahead. although far from a triathelete, i am very active at the gym, hiking and bike riding. you can read my 8 days post-op story here:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=386.0

if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. at your age pain should not be limiting your activities.
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

bciam

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
Well, crazy or not it's too late now.  My surgery which was originally scheduled for Wednesday the 25th was moved up to this Monday.  I am very excited for the surgery and can't wait for the rehab.  The sooner I start the sooner it will be over.  I very much hope I can get back to Ice Hockey as well as Triathlon, but mainly I can't wait to be back to "normal" so I can play with my kids who at 9 and 7 are also becoming very active (following in the old mans footstep, excluding the bad hips I hope).

I just wanted to drop a line to everyone on the site who has responded, I greatly appreciate all the experiences you have shared.  I will post again after surgery just to let everyone know how it went.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »
Hi

I want to wish you Good Luck.  I will keep you in my thoughts.

We will look forward to your return and reading your story.  I hope you will post your story on the Hip Stories section or the Athletes section as you recover and start to return to ice hocky and maybe the Triathlon.  Take some photos for us when you are back in action.

Good Luck. I bet your kids can't wait for you to play with them again.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DirkV

Re: Am I Crazy ? Hope to play hockey again.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »
Hi Brian,
Tomorrow's the big day. I'm sure you'll have lots of well wishes and prayers. I'm sure you'll do fine.
I look forward to hearing the report of how things went. I hope you have a great surgery and great outcome and can regain an active lifestyle!
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

J B

Re: Am I Crazy ? Hope to play hockey again.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:39:54 AM »
Just wanted to let you know that you were in my prayers today and hope everything went well. Talk to you when you get back home. John

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat