+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Recommendations for Antibiotics for Dental Work 2012  (Read 2235 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
New Recommendations for Antibiotics for Dental Work 2012
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
Guidelines by the American Dental Association and Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons  Updated 12/8/2012 are now available.  They are not recommending antiobiotics before dental work based on a review of many studies, but feel the decision should still be left up to the surgeon.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/antibiotics-dental-hip-surgery-2012.php

I still like a conservative approach and will continue to protect my mom hip resurfacing and new tissue aortic valve.  My dentists gives me the script for my antibiotics and recommends them.

I am sure there will continue to be much discussion about dental work and antiobiotics.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

Re: New Recommendations for Antibiotics for Dental Work 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »
Funny, Pat - I just had my teeth cleaned a few days ago, and dutifully took my four pills an hour before, the hygienist checked with me to make sure, etc.

I agree - I'll be conservative.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tim Bratten

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
Thanks Pat, that's nice to know.
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

Anna

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »
Thanks Pat  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

lyn

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
Thanks for the info, Im going to head my doctors advise

tedroberts

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
My surgeon's guidelines after my bi-lat surgery was two years of antibiotics before dental work.
Since I am four years out now I no longer take the antibiotics.  I am concerned about the over use of antibiotics contributing to the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria (super bugs).
Bi-Lateral BHR 1-7-09 Dr. Nelson, MPLS, MN

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:29:09 AM »
I went to a new dentist for a cleaning and exam yesterday.  First I had to run home because I forgot to pre-medicate.  Then when I was talking to the hygienist she said that I'd only have to do it for two years and I'm half way there.  I thought this was a life time thing.  So which way do we go, pre-med for life, two years, forget about it.  I'll continue for at lest another year but after that I'm confused.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

kwarendorf

• LBHR 2/13/2009
    • Kyle's Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »
I am 4 years out. I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago and they called my doc to see about premedicating. The doc said 'for life'.

Just one doc's opinion.

Kyle

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure the previous recommendations by the ADA and AAOS was for life, but I have heard differing time frames from other professional (surgeons and dentists alike).  If I recall correctly, the orginal study in the 70s that created the recommendation for prophylactic antibiotics for dental work, had very little statistical value.  The recommendation was more based on the potential for the problem to be really bad (ie revision), but the potential for the problem to even exist was super low.  With the negative potential effect being so great, the recommendation was to simply take the antibiotics.  In 2012/13, we may be a little more concerned about over use of antibiotics than we were in the 70s and thus I would expect that there are some new considerations being looked at. 

The few times I've taken the anitbiotic, my digestive system gets messed up for a a week or so and that's with an increase in acidopholous.  Based on the recent recommendation, I think I might steer away from taking propho anitbiotics. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

phillwad

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
Good update - thanks

mslendzion

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
I went to the dentist 2 days ago and they would not clean my teeth unless I confirmed I took the antibiotics.  I just feel safer taking them too. 
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

luann again

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »
Hi Pat!
Thanks for the info. I do believe, pwrsonally, it is mostly overkill regarding how much the antibiotic premeds are prescribed. However, no matter what the AHA recommends, at our ( and most, as I understand it) dental practice ( I am a hygienist) we will ONLY take the surgeons advice on whether or not a patient still needs prophylactic antibiotic premed.
I know you did state that in your post. I just wanted to let the hippies know that they will need to get a letter, fax, or call ( have their Dr's call their dental office) before they can quit taking it.
Thanks ( by the way, my HR surgeon said LIFETIME)  Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »
Good to know, thanks Luann Again.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
My dentist actually perscribed the antibiotics for me prior to my surgary so I would have them in hand for my next visit (post surgery).  The orders did not come from the surgeon.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

luann again

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
Yes, your dentist can prescribe the antibiotics for you. He/she did that because you MUST take them before a dental appt. until your dentist hears otherwise.  So the orders really did come (silent partner you might say) from your surgeon. We always make sure the patient is covered. At dental offices we error on the side of caution.  So, we will make you take prophylatic premed after joint replacement EVEN if your surgeon neglected to tell you that you needed it ( usually taken 1 hr before appt.). But we will not let you QUIT taking it unless we hear from your surgeon "personally".  Again: fax, call to our office, letter, etc.   Thanks everyone. Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat