+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cleared  (Read 2869 times)

Limper

Cleared
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »

Surgery on Friday with Dr. Su.  Hopefully my limping days are numbered. 

-Limper

Mr.Box

Re: Cleared
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »
Good Luck Limper@!

If you have any questions.. I just went though the surgery 4 months ago at HSS with Dr. Su.
Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

phillwad

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
Limper - soon to be ex-limper
I hope it goes well

patrick_d

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »
Best of luck!  You are in very good hands.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »
Good luck! <hippie formerly known as limper!>  let us know how it goes.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Limping will definitely be a thing of the past.  Believe it!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »
In a few weeks you'll have to change your handle.  Actually I like Limper, regardless of you limping, which you won't be doing for long.  I guess I'm not going to be jumping into a fire one-legged with my loved one anytime soon and I'm not really "one-legged" anymore but I still like my handle. 

Congrats!  Looking forward to your recovery posts.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dee Dee

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
Praying all goes well and you have a stress free recovery.
Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Marco Polo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »
Limp No More:

You've done your homework and picked a great surgeon.  I am sure it will go well. 

Wishing you a great outcome and a speedy recovery!

Marco
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Limper

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
My surgery on Friday went well.  Thank you to all for the words of encouragement.  My case was a little more complicated than most as I had some old hardware in there from the early 1980's, and there was some chance that a resurfacing would not be possible.  Fortunately the old hardware (some old plates and screws) didn't present a problem and the resurfacing was installed successfully.  I hope to be released to go home in a couple of hours. 

-Limper

phillwad

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
 ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Glad it went well - Phill

patrick_d

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
Awesome!  Glad it went well.  Get lots of rest and take it nice and easy for the next few weeks.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
Wow, hardware from the 80s?  That sounds kinda cool, not in a surgical way but in a retro New Wave pop music sort of way.  Glad to hear you're doing well and it all worked out.  Take recovery slow and steady. 

Anna

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:05 AM »
Congratulations Limper! So glad to hear its gone well. Now you can sit back and rest :)

.... and Mr Box - has it been 4 months?! Time flies. Hope all is going well

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Mr.Box

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »
Yep it was 4 months a few days ago. Boy it flies, I'm so happy I had the surgery. I'm doing things without thinking anymore. I caught myself running in my warehouse playing catch with myself in a moment of childish fun. I stopped and looked around and went " Holy crow ! "

I did limit myself tonight though, I was asked to play some hockey and I decided against pushing myself even though I was only going to suit up for some warm up.

I can wait a few months more for that and maybe at that time I'll be doing so much more without seconds thoughts :).

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
Yep it was 4 months a few days ago. Boy it flies, I'm so happy I had the surgery. I'm doing things without thinking anymore. I caught myself running in my warehouse playing catch with myself in a moment of childish fun. I stopped and looked around and went " Holy crow ! "

I did limit myself tonight though, I was asked to play some hockey and I decided against pushing myself even though I was only going to suit up for some warm up.

I can wait a few months more for that and maybe at that time I'll be doing so much more without seconds thoughts :).

Very cool - glad to see you doing so well.

Limper

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

All - thanks for the encouraging words.  I thought I'd provide an update for anyone interested, and for anyone browsing, as I did for many months, looking for first hand narratives. 

Tomorrow will be two weeks out.  My surgery was on a Friday and I was home on Sunday afternoon.  I did not have any major pain and did not take any pain killers after the day of surgery.  I did not bother to get the prescription filled and so far the only discomfort I have had is some muscle soreness and bruising.  I don't know if this has anything to do with my particular pain threshold, or whether mine is high or low, as I have nothing to compare it to.  It could be I'm a hard case, or a total ninny - I just don't know.  Bottom line is that your milage may vary, but I have been more or less pain free since the day of surgery (it did smart in the recovery room.)

I had originally planned to have a family member here to help me during my recovery, as my wife works full time, but another health crisis of another family member prevented that.  As a result, I have been largely on my own since I got home, which has not been a problem.  If there were an emergency there is a babysitter in the apartment (we have three small kids), but I have been spending my days in a part of the apartment segregated from them.  Since the first day home I have been able to run errands on my crutches, so long as I don't try to retrieve anything too large.  Crutches make picking up the laundry etc. more or less impossible, but smaller items are doable.  It helps that we live in NYC so everything we need is right on the block.  It also makes it possible to hobble down to the corner to have coffee or lunch, which has been nice.

I started working from home more or less right away, in very small doses, and have been gearing up since.  I plan to be back in the office on Monday, although I will probably need to take a car service or a cab.  I don't feel ready for the morning rush on the subway. 

The PT exercises have been fairly easy, with the exception of anything involving the lifting of my leg. I think the big muscle on the front of the thigh is the quadriceps, and mine is still pretty sore and weak.  I'm working on it.  I'm still using crutches, but I'm bearing more and more weight all the time.  So far so good.

The staples in my leg (32!) were removed on Monday, after which the shower felt luxurious.  As a general matter, the bathroom has ceased to be the fortress of solitude and contemplation it once was, as navigating it with a bum leg has been somewhat challenging.  I found the loud use of bad language helpful.  Mercifully, my leg has become a little more mobile and things have improved.   

I'm a long way from running marathons, but so far everything seems to be on track. 

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
All sounds good, Limper. I had a similar recovery on both legs, little actual pain, more soreness like having worked out too much.

I started driving after two weeks, my walking was more and more confident,etc. The PT exercises will get easier as you do them, just make sure you keep it up. Are you going to do outpatient PT? It really helped me to get stronger and more capable in walking, stairs, etc.

One thing to remember, despite the good recovery is that your bone is at the very beginning of healing.

I know that your muscles are feeling increasingly good, but your bones healing onto the device is the real goal here, so make sure you allow that to happen by not going too hard.

I really started working on getting the muscles in shape at about six to eight months - anything before that was to wake up those long sleeping muscles gently and to strengthen the smaller stabilizing muscles.

I started juggling again at about three months, to get those little muscles working. I'm pretty freakin' good now   ::).

Mr.Box

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:16 AM »
Congrats Limper! Can't say I had such a quick recovery as yourself, but man I'm loving it now!

How big's ya scar!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Good job, Limper.  I know how you feel with trying to pick things up with crutches, a real pain.  Need one of those soda carrying trays things they have at the ball park.   

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat