+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Gross and Physical Therapy  (Read 4307 times)

Ross

Dr Gross and Physical Therapy
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
Anyone attend PT after hip resurfacing with Dr Gross and did you find it useful.  I have a tender L groin at 7 weeks postop and thought PT may help.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Cordially,
Ross

John C

Re: Dr Gross and Physical Therapy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
I went to two different PTs;  one at about 4 weeks, and one in a different area at about 6 weeks.
The first understood the conservative approach that Dr Gross believes in, and was beneficial in terms of good body mechanics and some easy strengthening exercises. The second one was a classic example of pushing too aggressively for early range of motion that Dr Gross fears, and I had to bark at the guy to back off, and walked out of his office.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: Dr Gross and Physical Therapy
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »
I followed Dr. Gross' protocol until about 4 months.  I asked him for a script for PT at 4 months, which he provided, but stipulated strengthening ONLY. 

My PT was really decent, and did not do any ROM stuff.  But, I will say that the PT helped me make some real progress that I wasn't making by just walking and doing leg lifts.  I would encourage it, but you might consider waiting a little while longer.  That's just my $0.02.

For what it's worth, my wife's good friend is a PT.  We visited them over New Year's, and I asked her a question.  My groin gets sore when I run over 1/2 mile, and I have to stop.  She suggested stability exercises (stand on just the operated leg and balance, one legged BOSU squats) to overcome that.  You probably would not do the squats, but doing some balance exercises that isolate the operated hip could help.

In fact, when I WAS in PT, I was hooked up to the cable machine to do leg lifts (front, back, side, other side).  When I did the NON-OPERATED hip, my new hip was forced to balance and hold the hip still when the other leg did the lifts.  That made a huge difference.  You might be able to do that with some latex exercise bands just as well (LIGHT weight).
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat