+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: SurfaceHippy in Mississippi  (Read 3346 times)

Dev

SurfaceHippy in Mississippi
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:10:05 PM »
I am 34 year old male and just had my hip resurfaced in Hattiesbug, MS.  I am 2 days post-op and already feel better.  My doctor is Richard Conn and he used the Cormet Hip Device.  I cant say enough about how wonderful he and his staff have been.  I have been to PT 3 times and it has been better each time.  My first time was brutal.  Threw up twice.  Literrally the pain that i had radiating from my hip and quad is gone.  Dont get me wrong, there is new pain from the incision and disruption of my muscles, but it is better every hour.  Dr Conn uses a lateral approach.  I know i have a ways to go, but words cant describe the relief and outlook I now have.  I have been athletic my whole life, but have really down for the past two years due to my hip pain.  I have only posted once before, but I will keep you all updated of my progress.  Pat, thanks for this website, it was really a big help.  I know there are other details I need to give but I have PT in 30 minutes and want to get some lunch.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: SurfaceHippy in Mississippi
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »
Hi Dev

Congratulations on the new hip! You are an official surface hippy!

I am glad you are starting to feel better.  It will get better and better.  Sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and one backwards - but on the whole you will be moving forward to a great summer.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going for you.  You story will help others who will follow in your path.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dev

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »
Leaving hospital today.  Physical Therapy has been better everyday.  Ice, ice, and more ice is best advice i can give so far.  Home health begins monday, but so far i have a pretty good outlook so far.  Long way to go. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
You will be happy to be home.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
Congrats on what sounds like a succesfull surgery thus far  :)

You sound psyched which seems like a great attitude for recovery.
I hope it continues to go well and look forward to hearing about your recovery.

I am scheduled for resurfacing in June and am about your age as well.

-Brian

Dev

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »
Brian,

You're doing the right thing by researching on this website.  I knew what to expect and not to expect.  I am getting better by the day.  I do not like the way the pain meds make me feel, but its better than the alternative.  One thing that I was not prepared for was the ride home.  I live about 2 1/2 hours from where I had my surgery done.  I felt every bump on the way home.  Take plenty of pillows if you have to travel any distance.  Good luck on your surgery and don't let the anticipation get to you. 

Tarhoo2

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:12:20 PM »
Dev and Brian,

Congratulations to both of you.  I am 5 weeks post-op on my second BHR and my first was done 12/18/07.  I am a bit older (48), but have always been athletic and, even though I still have a ways to go with my PT, could not be happier with things so far.  Brian, I'm sure you are anxious -- as we all are before surgery -- but I think you will be satisfied with the outcome.  Please keep in mind that every surgery and recovery is different, but, from what I have experienced, heard and read, most of us enjoy a vastly improved quality of life as a result of this procedure.  Just be patient and make sure you observe your doctor's protocols.

If either of you would like to contact me directly, please feel free to e-mail me.

Jim

Dev

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 07:45:19 PM »
I am now a little over two weeks post op now and so far so good!  I am very happy with my recovery.  I have gone back to work, much to my wife's (has her doctorate is physical therapy) dismay.  I was going crazy sitting at home!  Everyday is better than the one before.  Just slowly building back up my strength in my quad.  Using one crutch right now.  Could use a cane, but I like the crutch better.  I am amazed how good I feel.  Right after surgery I wondered how was I ever going to be able to move my leg again.  Slowly but surely it comes back.  I am not going to sugarcoat it, I was in some pain.  My first physical therapy session, I got sick twice.  Partly from the pain, and partly from the morphine. I am not on any pain medication now.  The doc gave me a prescription of 30 Lortab and I thought I would go right through them, but I probably still have about 10 left.  Switched to Extra Strength Tylenol one week post op and was fine.  Now I just ice when it gets too sore.  I can't stand the way any pain medication makes me feel so it is a little different for me.  I would suggest if you hurt take your meds.  Staples came out last Sunday and my wife says we can start aquatic therapy this weekend so I am very excited to go swimming.  Jim, hope your recovery is going well, and Brian, good luck with yours!

Tarhoo2

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:38:59 PM »
Glad to hear things are going well for you Dev.  I can relate to "going crazy sitting at home," although I was doing work -- e-mails, phone calls and reading -- about four hours a day within five days after my surgery.  I did not have much pain, other than some serious throbbing from the swelling.  Having already had one BHR, I was prepared for the instability of my leg after the second and was not overly anxious and impatient about the instability of my leg after the second: I knew it would gradually strengthen.  I'm seven weeks post-op tomorrow and have walked without crutches or cane for two weeks.  I'm pretty confident that within a week no one will be able to tell I've had the surgeries from watching me walk.  I had dissolvable internal stitches and a plastic surface closure that came off after ten days.  The incision closed quickly and the scar is healing nicely.  I've applied Mederma daily with a moderately vigorous massage since the incision was fully closed.

bciam

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:02 AM »
Dev,

Sounds awesome ! just two weeks and it seems like you are well on your way.  Lots of luck in the pool, I would expect that swimming will really help things stay loose.  Pretty impresive that you are able to listen to your wife as PT, keep up the good work  :)

Jim,

You are the first one I have heard that did not get staples.  How big was the incision ? It sure sounds like your recovery is going great.  Have you made it back to any type of athletics yet ?

I am really starting to look ahead to my surgery and I hope that it goes as well as it has for both of you.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement 

Dev

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:15:55 PM »
Brian, You only know the half of it with my Physical Therapist being my wife also.  Tomorrow morning at 5:45 we are going to the hospital to have our second baby girl.  She was confident all along.  When the decision was made that this surgery was necessary, I thought we would wait until after the baby came.  My wife was totally confident that she could get me on a cane and mobile before her due date.  Due date is May 30, my surgery was May 7.  I was freaking out right after surgery!  I thought what have I got myself into!  My wife is going to go into labor and here I am worthless!  She never waivered.  I hate to say it, but she was right.  I had my 3 week follow up visit today and 2 more weeks on the cane and I can put it down.  I can walk up and down stairs right now without help, but the doc wants me to use the cane a little longer.  I can walk, but not without limping.  The wife says half the battle is attitude.  Your mind gives up, your body is sure to follow.  She has her Doctorate in Physical Therapy so I have had an added advantage.  But, yea you're right, she gives me that "I am right and you know it" look all the time.  New hip, new baby daughter, life doesn't get much better.  Don't here that often...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:35:15 PM »
Hi Dev

Sounds like everything is going well for you.

I want to wish you the best of luck tomorrow on your new baby girl.

You are right - new hip, new baby - life doesn't get much better.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bciam

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
Dev,

Wow ! You're right I didn't know the half of it.  It sounds like your wife is a pretty special lady.  Conrgrats on your second daughter.  Hopefully mom and newborn are doing well.  Good thing you had the hip resurfaced, you may need it to chase off future suiters  ;D I have a 9-yr old daughter myself and am not looking forward to that.

Anyway, good luck to both of you on your recoveries.  How's the aqua therapy going ?

-Brian 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat