+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One Year Anniversary - My New Hip  (Read 1671 times)

Baby Barista

One Year Anniversary - My New Hip
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:12:18 AM »
Hard to believe it's been one year since my first BHR surgery. Maybe it's because the new one is less than two months old. First, I'll say that even though I'm only 38, I do not regret for one second having surgery. It's a pretty remarkable thing to be pain free. By this summer, I'll be at seven months on the new one, and will be able to be pretty active.

Those of you who've been here awhile will remember it was a bit of a rough go for me the first few weeks. But over the course of the next several months, I improved by leaps and bounds. I'd say the hip really started to feel like "mine" at about 7 months. That's when most of the clunking had passed and the pain in my quad. That's also when I started to notice dramatic improvement in my range of motion. It continues to improve to this day.

Where I'm hoping for continued improvement is in flexed external rotation -- the "sock-putting-on" position. I don't quite have the strength to easily pull my left foot over my right knee. Doing so without help from my hand can also induce a stomach churning cramp high in my groin area. Dr. Pritchett believes both will come with time. As he said, "You're only a year out." I think part of the problem has been my recently resurfaced right hip, limiting me from some stretches and exercises that could be helping me.

Speaking of that hip... it's doing very well. I'll reach the two month mark next week. It feels about a month and a half ahead of where I was with the left side. None of the excruciating quad pain, a lot more strength and ROM, and generally just "better". I had my six week followup with Dr. Pritchett and he said the x-ray looked great. He doesn't feel a need to see me again until the one-year mark.

I think what is going to be challenging this time, is making sure to take it slow. Last time I didn't have an appetite the first few weeks and actually lost about 10 pounds. This time I *did* have an appetite... and during the holidays no-less. I've gained about 10 pounds. Back at work now, the shirt collars and suits are fitting a bit snug. I asked Dr. Pritchett about any potential harm in reducing calories during this critical time of bone ingrowth. He said as long as it's nothing too drastic, there isn't a problem.

All and all, I'm a very happy hippy. I will consider this a success if I'm able to be super active and adventurous with my kids until the last one heads off to college. That's 13 years. Of course, I hope I've had my last hip-surgery ever, but only time will tell.

Thanks to everyone on here who's been supportive on the journey thus far.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:04:28 AM by Baby Barista »
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
Re: One Year Anniversary - My New Hip
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:28 AM »
Great to hear - your experience is very encouraging for folks like me who are waiting for bilateral HR surgery (I'm also 38, and am scheduled to see Dr. Pritchett on April 1 for my right side). Continued good luck on your recovery!
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »
   Congrats on a successful and improving set of hips!!  Its fun too start paying attention to everything else for once!!  Hope your next anniversary is even more boring!

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »
Hey Rob,  time definitely flies. I'm really glad you're doing so well. The ROM on that will come, I had trouble with my left putting my ankle on my right knee for a while, seemed to kick in about 14 months.

It still is not as 'loose' as my right, but I do think it's because it needed to be there to support my right in its recovery. It comes with time, brother - great report, and I do think by summer you'll be able to chase the little baristas around with abandon.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
Great to hear on your progress.  I am 2 weeks behind you and Dee and this hip has also done better than my first.  I have also gained 10 lbs since just before surgery.  I thought it might be the extra metal I am carrying around :).
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »
Sounds like all is going well.  That's great to hear.  I think the hip capsule tightnesss will go away in time and you will probably find it easier to get the socks a few more months down the road.  Having a recent surgery will delay the progress.  I recall at one year still having some difficulty getting my foot up easilly enough to put a sock on.  Now I don't need to "assist" my foot with my hand, but once in awhile, habit maybe, i do use my hand to help get the foot up.  I think if had an actual excercise and stretching program, it would gain more ROM, but for now I'm happy where I'm at.

Good job!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing your updates.  It's the little things!
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Dee Dee

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »
Rob,

Glad to hear you are doing well.  It is interesting to see the recovery differences between hip #1 and #2. My biggest surprise was how sore my right leg has become in the recovery of the left.  BUT I don't have the screaming quad this time or the aching in the lower leg.  I do have an old problem that has resurfaced- metatarsal inflammation on my right foot is giving me some trouble when I walk. 

My right leg had great flexibility by now and shoe tying was no problem. I still struggle to put my left foot on my right knee and that is totally frustrating me.  I think my home pool therapy and swimming was a great help in getting strength and flexibilty last summer for hip #1.  I can go to our aquatic center, but it is expensive.  I did not think about that when I scheduled a winter surgery. 

I am waiting to hear from Dr. gross office to get a script for PT.  He let me have some last time.  All in all I am happy that #2 is over and I can actually work on strengthening both legs at the same time. 

Keep us in the loop!

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat