+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Core exercises  (Read 8137 times)

Mike D

Core exercises
« on: February 07, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
Hi all, I'm 8 weeks into my PT programme following my THR in August last year, and tonights session included some core exercises.
I was introduced to 'The Plank' and this will now be included every week-what a tough one!
If anyone's done it, I'd love to know how you got on.
It involves getting into the same position for press-ups but with weight on the forearms rather than than just the palms on the floor, then hold for 30 secs.
Stay in position and hold one arm out, again for 30 secs.
Stay in position and swap arms, 30 secs.
Stay in position and hold one leg out, then swap legs.
So the whole thing involves supporting your weight continuosly for 150 seconds with the various limbs held out!
The idea is to do it while being timed and slowly increase each week- I managed 45 seconds  on the first go but it was hard.
I didn't realise how big a part these core exercises can play in recovering from hip surgery-anyone tried it?
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

hernanu

Re: Core exercises
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »
I've done it and do it now, mostly in yoga or doing core on my own.

At eight weeks, anything you do is hard, your muscles, bones and everything else is mending and recovering. I didn't do planks at eight weeks, but definitely did a lot of other core exercises.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

maxx6789

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:21:10 AM »
doing the complete set that you mentioned without stopping would have been a challenge for me at 8 weeks but i will give this a try tomorrow (at 10 months).

there are lots of other plank variations. try to add the side plank variation ... i started doing these at 3 weeks holding this position for 20 seconds, 5 reps on each side. i continue to this plank today several times a week ... i am up to 60 seconds, 3 reps on each side.

i tried the lifting leg plank at about 4 weeks but could not do it. but, i do that plank today without any issue. i do a different variation of your leg rise plank ... i lift one leg for 1-2 seconds, then alternate by lifting the other leg and repeating this 20 times on each leg, 3 sets.

enjoy your planks!!!
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

evant

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:23:37 AM »
I'm 5 weeks post-op. I've have been doing the basic exercises I was given on discharge from hospital plus @ 1 hour walking daily.

Out of interest I tried the 'plank' and lasted @ 15 seconds in total! I've a long way to go but I like the concept.

I see Mr Treacy for my 6 week follow-up next week and am hoping to get his approval for more advanced exercising including swimming.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

morph

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:16:47 AM »
I love this excercise. Great for transverse abs which are important for supporting the back like a corset when standing/walking, very important muscle.

It is quite a tough one initially. You probably will find that you start to tremble/shake quickly. This means your stabiliser muscles are exhausted and other muscles which are designed for movement kick in, hence the trembling. Try to keep your shoulders down into the rib cage. There are lots of variations like the side plank, Max has already mentioned. You can even just hold the starting pressup position.

All of the Core excercises were a big part of my recovery.
LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
I had a go at the side plank in my session and enjoyed it.
The Physio stressed to me the importance of breathing correctly during all the exercises and it did make a big difference.
I was too tensed up at first but when he got me breathing right I could hold on for longer. What a great feeling it is after with all those previously dormant muscles tingling!
No doubt the Guys who do martial arts here will know all about it but its all new to me and it feels great so far.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Anna

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:10:06 AM »
Lol, I can just about do the plank now Dave. It kills me.

Glad to hear you are still doing well :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Tim Bratten

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »
Hi Mike D
Glad to hear your hip is working out. I never had done these so I gave them a try last night (like you said, extending one arm and latter one leg, for some seconds) They are pretty hard (like you said, breathing is key for holding the position for more than a few seconds). Pretty cool exercise, but I'm kind of lazy to do exercises.
Tim
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
You're right Tim - you just climb cliffs at impossible angles  ::)
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat