+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Follow up visit after surgery  (Read 1634 times)

stokesrobin

Follow up visit after surgery
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »
I am having surgery in one state then flying home to a different state.
 How long after surgery do you have a follow up visit and can that be done with my local Orthopaedic Dr where I live?
Robin
stokesrobin
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:54:49 PM by stokesrobin »

John C

Re: air travel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
Ask your doctor for his recommendation. Even though my doctor said that I could fly as soon as I was out of the hospital, personally I chose to wait until the 4th day after surgery, staying at the hotel across from the hospital just in case any complications  showed up in those first few days. I would strongly suggest asking for a bulkhead seat, in part because it is near the restrooms during a long flight.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
and the bulkhead seat might have a little more leg room.  I was in a 6 hour car ride at 31 hours after surgery.  The first one was a little rough, the second one was much better.

I think the whole messing about in the airport and waiting in lines, and all that stuff adds a lot more discomfort than simply jumping in a car and being able to stop and get out once in awhile.  I don't think I would have wanted to mess around in an airport and airplane at 1 or 2 days post op.  I like John's post, I'd say 4 days is good.  Lots of initial swelling, tenderness, getting use to crutches, narcotics messing with your guts,...things were more stable with regards to all that about 3 days post op.   Good luck
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

packman

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the input John, and the question Robin. I will let you know my experiences within the next month. I am having surgery on a Thursday, and flying out on a Sunday effectively day 3. Only a 1.5 hour drive and 1 1/4 hour flight and for safety I did get bulkhead for my wife and I. My biggest fear is the cross border stuff being Cdn, and I do hope you have a direct flight
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

stokesrobin

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:59:32 AM »
And how long after surgery do you have a follow up visit or can that be done with my local Orthopedic Dr where I live?
Robin

Dee Dee

Re: Follow up visit after surgery
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
My doc did not want me to follow up at a different doc's office.  I returned to his office by choice at 7 weeks post op.  I did a long distance paper follow up after hip 2, which was an option for both. 

I hope you find answers for your circumstance.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat