+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The "window of opportunity for hip resurfacing"  (Read 1739 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
The "window of opportunity for hip resurfacing"
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:09:27 AM »
This is a reply I made to a person on this board and I want to give it it's own topic since it is so important.

There is one other point I want to make for people on the fence - thinking about resurfacing or trying other methods to solve their hip problems.

Hips can deteriorate to a point that they are beyond hip resurfacing. There is a definite window of opportunity - if your hips go beyond that, you can't have a hip resurfacing.  Sometimes PAIN is not the best indicator of the condition of your hip.  Some people feel a great amount of pain and their hip condition is not too bad while others feel much less pain and have hips in very bad condition.  We all feel pain at different levels. So the only way to really know what shape your hip is in and if you are a candidate for hip resurfacing is to get an expereinced hip resurfacing surgeon to read your x-rays.

You can have great mental power and be very stoic- but meanwhile your hip might be going beyond that "window of opportunity for a hip resurfacing"   Some people have waited to the point that Dr. De Smet had them come IMMEDIATELY to Belgium for their hip resurfacing.  Waiting even a couple weeks would be too long.  He never does a hip that does not need to be done. I know because he says my right hip is not bad enough yet and has told others the same thing.  He has done over 3000 hip resurfacings and over 3000 thrs - he does not need to create business.

So in my experience of reading stories from people from the really experienced surgeons - they will do no hip until it is ready, but sometimes you are not able to determine if it is ready to do.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

lisae

Re: The "window of opportunity for hip resurfacing"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »
I wanted to reply to this topic as my experience illustrates the Pat's point.  I had avn in my left hip; when I started to consult surgeons I was told that I was not a candidate for resurfacing as the femur head had collapsed.    I would have preferred to have a resurfacing.  But I knew the extent of the damage from looking at my MRI and felt that the surgeons were correct.

While I experience a loss of ROM and functional abilities, I never had a lot of pain with the avn. I didn't have x-rays taken early on.  If I had, resurfacing would have been an option.  I do regret that, but things still turned out well.

I had a thr on 4/2/08 and am recovering well.  My surgeon used an anterior approach, so I had few restrictions on movement.  I have been walking without a cane since week two and have had very little pain.  I still limp a little bit, but compared to before surgery it is night and day. I was told it may take a while for the limp to go away.  I am going to pt and my strength and flexibility are coming back which is gratifying.

I am a 55 yr old woman.  Before I injured my hip, I hiked and climbed (technical rock climbing).  My most important question was would I be able to climb after surgery.  I saw the  surgeon this week for the 6 week post op check and was told I can try top roping at this point.  So I am pretty happy!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: The "window of opportunity for hip resurfacing"
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »
Hi Lisae

Welcome to Hip Talk and Thank You for your story.

I hope you will continue to give us updates.

I also wonder if you would consider joining Total Hip Talk http://www.hipsforyou.com/totalhiptalk/ and post your story?  I started Hips For You about THRs because some people could not have hip resurfacing, some people did not want hip resurfacing and some people have required revisions after having problems with their hip resurfacing.  If you post your story and updates, I will add it to the main website page featuring hip stories.

The group there is small, but growing.  There is equal interest to share and learn about THRs for many people.

I wish you the best of luck.  I hope you will be back doing what you love soon.  I am sure you will.  Having a MOM thr is also a good hip for staying active. Of course, most of us want the hip resurfacing first - if we can get it.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz