+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: At 5 wks post-op my HIP seems fine, but my KNEE is very painful  (Read 4362 times)

Jbsloop

Hello,

I've read that so many of you are healing and progressing so well at 2 & 3 weeks that it makes my significant and lingering knee pain at 5 weeks seem quite the exception?!

I was 62 and in great shape going into this hip resurfacing and had very quick recovery expectations after hearing from my surgeon. However, after 5 weeks of recovery and PT 3 times a week, I am just to the point of sometimes using 1 crutch or occasionally maybe using a cane, but generally do well to just tolerate barely 50% weight and somehow get thru my exercises without the knee pain driving me up the wall. This doesn't even cover the extreme torsional knee pain I get when trying to move around in bed.

Honestly, I know this was a significant surgery, but it seems many of you are doing remarkably better and at times my seemingly delayed improvement is a bit depressing. I've heard the term 'referred pain' over and over, but this knee pain certainly seems real to me though my PT person thinks everything is progressing just fine and assures me that we are indeed all different.

I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences you might have to share, thank you much!

hernanu

Re: At 5 wks post-op my HIP seems fine, but my KNEE is very painful
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
We have had several people (including myself) who had issues with pain in several areas other than the hip after surgery.

The mechanics of the body have been contorted to help the body deal with the OA, when its effect is lifted you are left with a body that has some muscles and joints that have been overworked and some that may have atrophied.

Given the years that you faced it, it may take some time to undo the damage and relearn how to move correctly.

Having said that, I didn't have knee pain to the extent you're describing. The best thing to do probably would be to talk to your surgeon, describe the pain. Make it clear that your hip is not the direct source of the pain, and its manifestations, just like you've told us.

If he or she has you come in, the best thing is that it clears your mind and you can move on. If your knee is becoming irritated, then you can identify whether rest is the best thing for it. It is a marathon, so taking a long term view on this is valuable; you will get there, maybe not as fast as some, but speed is not the goal, full function is.

If you can't recuperate your hip properly because the knee pain is interfering, you are not accomplishing what you need to with the exercises. Get the knee straightened out until it becomes a help and not a hindrance to your recuperation.

Lastly - we've all had setbacks at different times. If you handle this to clear your mind and allow the knee to recoup, in the future you'll just look at this as a misstep.

Pain is a good guide that something is up, though, so talking frankly with your surgeon is key - they are here to provide service to you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Ross

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
Hi JB.  Five weeks is early.   Once you have surgery most of your leg muscle go on vacation except your IT band.  I understand that it is the same if you have knee surgery.  The first muscle to kick in and take over the work load is the IT band.   It takes over the action of the quad and glute medius and major.  Probably, it is the insertion of the IT band  at the knee.  Tell your therapist to mobilize your knee cap.   It is basically massage and might hurt a little if it is as painful as you say.  The foam roller is great for your IT band as well but run it by your doctor first.  Everyone recovers differently and at their own pace.  Take it from me.  The harder you try to rush it the longer it will take.  Lessons hard learned.

mike1966

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Hi JB,

I had a very similar experience at about 6-8 weeks. IT band pulling on my knee caused me heaps of pain. Really worried me at the time. roller, pool and a very good massage therapist fixed me up. No lasting knee pain. Don't be in a rush to get off your walking aids. I was a similar pace to you and at 12 months I'm great and have had very few problems. All the best.
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
How goes it Mike? How's the TKD recovery going?

mike1966

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
Hi Hern,

Strength and stability in the hip is great. Range of movement is still less than I would like but slowly improving. I have been very cautious to limit myself to non impact and little kicking till 12 months. I teach 3 classes a week and do all the hand work, limited light and low kicking and get one of the seniors up front to demonstrate the rest of the kicking. I think the major limiting factor will be preserving the other hip as long as i can. it didnt get a great report. i plan to go for a run in a week to mark my 12 months and Everything else I want to do in life, walking, gym, bike riding, jet ski riding and even racing is going great. It's a good hip! Thanks for asking!

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »
Good to hear that, I think you're handling it right.

I'm back to full bag workouts with no restraint on the kicks now at two years. I worked it in slowly, didn't really get to full kicks at impact until about 1.5 years.

Only time it 'reports' to me is when I work in a new exercise. Then feel it slightly, but it goes away once it becomes part of the routine.

Only things yet to be worked in are jumping kicks. The rest are going well. Kicking at about chest / face level with most kicks.

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
JB, I was told that some doctors grab you lower leg and knee to dislocate the hip during surgery.  This torque on you knee can cause it to be sore for a number of weeks after surgery.  Mine has been sore for 12 weeks but is getting better every week.

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

mike1966

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »
I'm very emcouraged to hear that you have made that kind of progress, Hern. JB, how is the knee fairing?

Jbsloop

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
Thx, FM.

I've heard that from others too, but I'd hate to think that aspect could possibly have been avoided.  :(  It certainly could explain, though, why my knee pain has been far more extreme than my hip pain.

Fortunately, my progress during just this past week 6 has been quite significant. I'm gaining better walking ability and strength from all those exercises and leg stretchings my PT gal has been putting me thru.

Do you think the particular PT person you elect has a significant influence on the recovery process, or do you think they all operate from the same script and provide similar therapy?

JB

Denver_wrench

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »
I had quite a bit of pain in the knee opposite the surgery leg. It settled down pretty nicely, although I have torn menisci in both legs. Doing nothing about that right now, but I've been skiing and working on it. As they say, Time takes Time.
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

PattyM

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
Hi
My right knee bothered me for about 6 weeks, it hurt more than the hip after surgery.
I know it was from how they dislocated at surgery. I made a point of telling the Dr..
they must have made an adjustment for me on the second surgery because I had
zero problems the  knee.
Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

kimberly52

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
I am only 13 days out but was also experiencing knee pain on the affected leg.  The pain is on the outside and wraps right around the knee cap.  Told my therapist about this but his response was that we needed to stretch and work the muscles.  Continued  to work it and the pain went away.  However, today he introduced new exercises for me and it is back!  His response again was because we are working new muscles.  I will continue to push through this and hope he is right.
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat