+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Regional vs General anesthesia  (Read 1889 times)

claudia

Regional vs General anesthesia
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
In general, what are the determining factors for the type of anesthesia for hip resurfacing?
I am contemplating hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross and completely forgot to ask that question so if there are any of Dr. Gross's patients out there - your input would be helpful. 
Thank you! 
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Dee Dee

Re: Regional vs General anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
Try using the search function.  You will get a lot of posts on the topic!

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:11:06 AM »
I think generally most surgeons prefer a spinal along wih a light general. Don't worry yourself too much with things like that just let Dr Gross do that for you. Just concentrate on getting better.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »
If it were me I would do a nerve block over a general everyday, with a general it takes longer to come around and you end up groggy the rest of the day.  With a spinal you wake up like waking up from a nice nap. 

Dr. Gross's people are excellent at what they do from beginning to end, your experience will be postive and while it's easy to say, don't worry you will be fine.  My left hip is probably a year or so from needing done, when it comes time I will not worry a bit.

Chuck

In general, what are the determining factors for the type of anesthesia for hip resurfacing?
I am contemplating hip resurfacing by Dr. Gross and completely forgot to ask that question so if there are any of Dr. Gross's patients out there - your input would be helpful. 
Thank you!
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

einreb

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
Thank you!

Dr Gross uses a spinal and then something to put you to sleep (propofol?).

I woke up incredibly clear headed, alert and pain completely free.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »
I think that's a common concern/question.  Like Chuck and others said, I think you shouldn't be too concerned about it.  Regardless of what direction you go, early on in the pre-op room you'll likely be given a narcotic and/or a benzo like valium.  After that you won't care what they do to.  I had a narcotic and it was pretty mellowing, went to the OR, then I moved myself to the table with the help of the staff, then spinal went in and legs went numb, then the benzo Versed was given for the light general, bascially slept or thought I did, from there on out.  Snappilly returned to reality in the OR as they finished up. 

I think the spinal with light general is the way to go though.   As folks have pointed out you'll probably feel more normal quicker in recovery.  Good luck.

BTW - talk to the anesthiologist, you'll probably be consulting with them in the pre-op, they're there by your side walking through all this as you go to sleep.  Very comforting
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

kimberly52

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
Last year I had general for a hip arthroscopy and was as sick as a dog.  Last week I had a spinal and light sedation.  The last thing I remember was hunching over so they could do the spinal and nothing more.  Woke in recovery much easier this time and within hours I was alert and never became sick like with general.

I was very afraid not to have general and glad I did not have it this time.  Also, there are increased risks when under general so you may want to look into that.

Best,

Kim

Dr. Michael Clarke
LBHR
4/6/13
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM