+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Regret  (Read 3720 times)

Eddieb

Regret
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
On feb. 20 I had BHR on my right hip. All went well and at 6 weeks my surgeon took away my walker and I was using a cane. He also told me I could start to do things within reason. This gave me a chance to catch up on a few household chores.At nine weeks  I was moving around pretty good and even went for coffee with some freinds without using my cane. Got around pretty well with just a slight limp. Our builtin dishwasher broke down and we ordered a new one. When it was delivered our old one was taken and the new one dropped 3 feet from the opening so I did not have to do any heavy lifting. All I had to do was hook it up and push it in place which involved alot of bending over , kneeling and occasional lying on my stomach. By the time I was done I could hardly walk at all. It just so happened I had another appointment with my surgeon the next day that required an x-ray. My doctor said all was well an still properly in place. It is now 6 days later and I still can't put any weight on my leg and have gone back to the walker. I regret having installed that dishwasher and am likely in for a lengthy set back at the least. Am hoping for a few encouraging words from someone maybe going though or have been though something like this.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Regret
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:13:49 AM »
Set backs happen to us all mate. Just take it even easier for a while and ice plenty and I'm sure you'll be fine in time.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
It might take awhile to get back to some sort of normal since you are only 5 weeks post op.  Bending and pushing at your point of post op is way too much - as you learned.  Even though you feel good, you need to let the mind make the decisions for the body.  There is no way to hurry or push healing - it is a waiting game.

Give your body time to recover, rest and do a lot of icing.  Patience is important. 

For new patients - learn and realize you can't do what seems OK because you are not in pain.  Your body has to heal. You don't want to do damage.

Thank You for posting your story.  You might help some future patients from doing damage to their new resurfacing.

Good Luck.  If for some reason you are having too much pain or are not getting back to normal, I would talk to your surgeon and see if he wants to do another x-ray just to make sure everything is OK.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
Hey Eddie - we've all had setbacks. You did the right thing in clearing up any possible issues with the device.

Now, ice, elevate and let it rest. As soon as you can, get back to walking and the usual recovery exercises you were doing. I had setbacks from doing too much, many others have as well.

It can be overwhelming, the feeling of freedom from that constant pain. That's why patience with the recovery is so hard, because we start feeling so much better.

Like Pat mentioned, doublecheck if it persists, but most likely it's just from pushing it too much.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »
Hi Eddieb,
Many of us have been through the cycle you are describing; feeling pretty good, doing too much too early, having a setback in pain, and then being scared to death that we have done some damage. I got involved in remodeling our home starting at six weeks, and found myself in many situations similar to yours. I scared myself pretty good a few times from using bad judgement.
You were very fortunate in that you were able to have an x-ray soon after so that you know you have not damaged the placement. The roller coaster can continue for awhile during the healing process. My advice is to take it easy and follow your surgeons schedule of activity increase. What you are experiencing is not that unusual; just try not to do it again.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Arrojo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
At least your dishes are clean now, right?
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Eddieb

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »
Thanks all for imformative and positive responses. Will take your advice, and yes the cursed dishwasher works  good.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat