+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pinching and groin pain after exercise  (Read 7043 times)

Heightsmomma

Pinching and groin pain after exercise
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »
I had a right hip resurfacing in 2005.  I have arthritis in my left hip and arthritis in my back.

Sometimes, I experience a great deal of pain after elliptical exercising (30 minutes), but not consistently.

Could it be attributed to the right hip surgery or referred pain from the left hip or my back.  My medical insurance isn't great right now...so I'm trying to solve this by figuring out some sort of modification to my exercise routine versus having to return to my doctor or physical therapy.

Thanks!

hernanu

Re: Pinching and groin pain after exercise
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Where is that pain localized?

I had a lot of referred pain before the resurfacings. They are gone now, so if you have arthritis in the other hip, it may well be the cause of referred pain.

Are you concerned about your implant? If so, an MRI would spot problems with tissues, but it sounds more likely that the other sources are putting pressure on your body.

Has your surgeon told you how far along your left hip is?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Heightsmomma

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
My surgeon (several years ago) said that arthroscopy would help the left hip.  I put it off, and now our insurance situation is terrible.  (We might get back on track this summer, so then I'll go back to my surgeon)

I did physical therapy to help with the arthritis in my back that was contributing to the left hip problems and that helped with everyday pain.

It's just when I try to step it up and do some regular exercise that I have pain.  (And some of it might be my right knee as well, which seems to give me problems).  As long as I remain sedentary, it's not much of an issue...but I don't want to stay sedentary! 

Thanks for your help in this!

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »
Sounds like your right side is carrying the load, and may be pushed a bit.

If you're concerned at all about the implant, if you can - have xrays done and reassure yourself that it's in good shape. It most likely is, probably your right is just doing a lot of work.

If it's groin pain, it may be the Illeopsoas muscle(s), which start at the lower back (blue) and go through the hip to the groin (blue and red), to the outside of the thigh connected at the knee (green).

This set of muscles can become irritated, shortened, etc. with a hip procedure and takes special attention to keep loose or get relaxed. They are also an issue for runners and other sports that rely on that area.

Some things you can do to help the irritation:

• Use a styrofoam roller. These are not expensive at all, and can be applied to the outside of the thigh and the lower back to calm down the IT band (green)
  • Use a tennis ball to massage the groin and lower back. For the lower back, I just put it between my back and a wall, lean back and roll it around the affected area (avoid the spine).
  • Do core exercises as well as the others you're doing to get those muscles stronger.

Good luck, I hope it clears up.

Heightsmomma

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
Thanks so much!  Will go out and buy Styrofoam roller TODAY!  And my dog loves to chase tennis balls, so I needed to buy a new batch as well! 

I so appreciate this!  We only have catastrophic insurance right now and will get our great insurance back this July.  Meanwhile, trying to help one child out financially as she graduates from law school and another one getting read to go to college!  Not the best time for major expenses!

I plan to set up an appointment right away with Dr. Greg Stocks here in Houston once we get our better coverage.

I was actually the first hip resurfacing done here in Houston....Dr. Stocks had studied in England and then done cadaver studies, when I decided to take the leap of faith (and the fact that he would sit and talk to me, instead of running out the door after 5 minutes)...

I didn't take up heavy duty exercise, but tried was always on my feet (job-wise).  I have even managed to fall a couple of times being too much in a hurry, but since the pain was intermittent, figured it had nothing to do with that?

But as great as Dr. Stocks is (and I highly recommend him)....he still didn't seem to understand the dynamics of muscle balance and referred pain (but then I had FIVE opinions before my surgery and none of the doctors did!)....it took a physical therapist helping me to deal with back arthritis that referred to my hips....I wish I could just go to a physical therapist on my own, instead of waiting for a doctor's orders....

Thanks again SO MUCH!  It's always good to here from the people with "boots on the ground"!

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »
No problem. My styrofoam roller has been my friend for almost three years now (!) - you'll be amazed how much it helps the outside of your thigh.

Keep us posted...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat