+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 12 Months. BHR perfect. Arthroscope for other hip?  (Read 2154 times)

mike1966

12 Months. BHR perfect. Arthroscope for other hip?
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I had my 12 month review yesterday and got a great report on my left BHR as I had expected. My right has been painful and I was expecting to prepare for another BHR but the X-rays showed good joint space and my surgeon recommended an arthroscope to fix a Ganz bump on the femur and spurs around the acetabulum. I have read some poor reports on outcomes for arthroscope but my surgeon advised that he believed it would address my FAI and prolong joint life. Anyone any experience with similar?

Many thanks

Mike
LBHR 2nd April 2012 Dr Van Winden

claudia

Re: 12 Months. BHR perfect. Arthroscope for other hip?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »
Hi Mike,
Yes - I have been scoped twice on my hip (the same one I am now having  HR on).
I was a runner, tore up my labrum, and things seemed to go downhill quickly from that point. (also had FAI) I nursed it by PT, chiropractors, message, etc for a year.  I went to two ortho's who said I had arthritis, just live with it - don't run any more.  My PT was actually the one who recommended arthroscopic surgery to clean it up and repair the labrum. 
My first was done by a surgeon who had great credentials but I later found out (when the surgery was not successful) that he was a relative "newbie" in regard to doing this.  He was in and out in 40 minutes and the recovery was as bad as a hip replacement, if not worse.  I was actually worse than when I went in and bone spurs, calcification started forming very soon afterwards and within a year I was looking to have someone who knew what they were doing make another attempt. I just felt I was too young and too active to give in to a hip "replacement".  I found one of the best men, in my opinion, in arthroscopic, hip surgery.  He is like the "Dr. Gross" of arthroscopic surgery on hips.  He is also a researcher and has invented some of the tools used in the procedure.  He is known as a pioneer in the field.  Dr. Byrd is in Nashville and hip scopes are all he does.  He's been doing them for years and has done thousands.
The second surgery with Dr. Byrd, took two and a half hours, the recovery was, again, as intensive as hip surgery, or worse.  It was highly successful, however, and I was probably 80% pain free and had regained much of my ROM.  I have never run again on pavement, instead I use a treadmil with an "orthopedic belt".  The second surgery was in 2008 and I was maintaining until July of 2011 when I had a major fall on that hip (torqued it BAD as I fell on cement) and now - I am here on this board looking forward to a hip resurfacing.
Aside from my story I can tell you that a lot of times the recovery from hip arthroscopic surgery can be worse.  Some surgeons do "microfracture" (which I had) to encourage bone growth.  The first surgery I was on crutches for 2 weeks and had PT for at least 2 months.  The second scope I was on crutches for one month and PT for 12 weeks.  For a scope, the hip is distracted like hip replacement/resurfacing and there is a lot of work going on in there.  The only difference is that you don't have a 4-6 inch incision.  You only have the three "holes" from the scope they use.  Unlike hip replacement/resurface, you cannot put a lot of weight on your joint after the scope.  Not having had the hip resurfacing yet, I have been told that scoping is more difficult to recover from than replacement.  My first surgery was totally ineffective.  I can tell you that out of the 4 people who I personally know that had the surgery - 3 were not very successful.   Just as in hip resurfacing - success is based on the surgeon and the number that he has done.   I live in Florida and travelled to Nashville for the best surgeon that I could get.  It was well worth it and had I not fallen, I probably would not be on this board.  Unfortunately, Dr. Byrd could not do another scope as the hip was too far gone. 
In my opinion, it is presented as a simple, easy, no problem surgery - I was even given promises of "oh yeah, you will run again by the first surgeon.  I think if you talk with most people you will find that isn't the case. I am sure it depends on how bad your hip is and your age, etc...
It definitely worked for me the second time because I found a good surgeon.  I will most likely go to dr. Byrd for my other hip when or if the time comes that I need to do something.
I am sure others will chime in on this.
Hope this helps.

Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

claudia

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »
oops- see that you are from Australia... My recommendation in Nashville will be of no help!
The recommendation to find a surgeon who does this procedure often still stands however. :D
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

mike1966

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
Hi Claudia,

Thanks for taking the trouble to give such a comprehensive reply. It is reassuring that you got good results from your second surgery. Im in Tasmania which is about as regional as it gets. I agonized over travelling to a high volume surgeon and ended up going with the local surgeon who has an outstanding reputation and 7 years of resurfacing but not the same volume as was recommended to me. Thus far my results are excellent, and i will keep faith with him for the scope. I read your other thread about your concerns leading into your resurfacing. I wish you all the best and I will follow your hip story with interest!

Many thanks once again,

Mike
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:27:08 AM by mike1966 »

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »
Mike,

Welcome.  Most of the feedback on this site around scoping is that it offered little relief, and as Claudia mentions above, is a non trivial procedure and recovery.  Of course the sample here consists of folks who ultimately had a HR, so perhaps that feedback is a bit skewed.  My surgeon advised against it, as it would only delay the eventual HR.  I'm glad I did not have to go through that, and then the BHRs.

Best regards,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

mike1966

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:24:08 AM »
Thanks Dan,

It's a hard call isn't it? The whole point would be to delay another BHR for a significant period and its pointless if I just go through an extra surgery instead. I have recovered well from my BHR but I'm not in significant pain in my other hip and only considering the scope on my surgeon's advice that removing the Ganz bump will delay cartilage degeneration. Your point about the sample on here would be spot on. I wondered if anyone had 'saved' a second hip with a scope. At the end of the day, I trust my surgeon and I will go with his advice - in some months, I'm not quite in enough pain to put with another recovery yet! :)

Many Thanks

Mike

Ross

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
Hi Mike,

I guess the questions is if your surgery was successful would you be content with a hip that would be 80% at best?  Worst case scenario the scope fails and you are in the exact same spot 6 months down the road but facing another surgery.  Dr Byrd is a great surgeon for hip scopes.  He would review your MRIs for free and give you his clinical views.  A least you would hear it from. The horses mouth.  I had a failed hip scope.  It was very difficult and frustrating.   I rehab the heck out of it and got no where.  Dr Bharam did mine at NYU.  If you do have it make sure that they give you an epidural because general sucks and you will be hating life.
Ross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal