+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Kusuma - Needed cane to walk before...now play soccer and chase 4 grandkids  (Read 1502 times)

ericrbaker

• My three sons and me...30 years ago ;-)
Thanks to Dr. Sharat Kusuma's skillful use of the Birmingham hip resurfacing technology, I've gone from needing a cane to walk to being able to play soccer daily as much as 4 hours and chase 4 grandkids...with no pain whatsoever...oh, and I'm 60.

Got tackled from behind while playing soccer about 10 years ago.  May have dislocated my hip but kept playing soccer in pain anyway for several years.  Tried a variety of physical therapies but still a too much pain to really play competitively...and eventually so much pain needed a cane to walk.

Three years ago, finally decided that I had to do something about my hip.  If at all possible, wanted to be able to play competitive soccer again.  At the very least, wanted to be able to kick a soccer ball around with my grandkids.

After less than a year, got back to playing very competitive soccer with 20 and 30 year olds...indoor and outdoor...almost daily and often as much as 4 hours a day.  No pain whatsoever and as my son who got a full ride to college on a soccer scholarship says "...Dad, you run way more than anyone on the pitch but you'll still never be as good as me."  Oh well.

The kicker is that I have no problem at all taking care of all 4 of his kids (my grandkids are all under 5)...which at least he says I am pretty good at ;-)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:22:41 PM by Pat Walter »

podgornymd

Re: Needed cane to walk before...now play soccer and chase 4 grandkids
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
Great story and sounds like surgery was a big success. Dr. Kusuma seems to be an up and coming BHR surgeon. Keep it up and glad you are beating up on those young 20 year olds.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hi Eric

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Thanks for taking time to tell us your story.  Sounds like you are really doing great after your hip resurfacing with Dr. Kusuma.  I am sorry, but I moved your story and added Dr. Kusuma's name to the topic to help future patients searching for information about Dr. Kusuma.

Give us an update whenever you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz