+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Re: Questions from a Newbie  (Read 4019 times)

hollyk

Re: Questions from a Newbie
« on: June 06, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »
I am new to this web site also. I am of similar size, and and was diagnosed 2 years ago. I have gone from a little pain, to a major limp, cysts in bone and megga pain. My doctor is a very qualified replacement surgeon but has done about 15 re-surfacing. I am scheduled for 2 weeks from yesterday and am getting nervous about whether I should have done more research..I will be interested to see the responses from the experienced "hippies!"

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
How much research should I do?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
Hi Holly

Welcome to Hip Talk.  I gave you your own topic.

I always recommend using a really experienced surgeon.  Some people, however, either can't due to their insurance, or simply like the surgeon they have choosen.

If you don't have any nagging feelings that things are not right - then you should go with your choice.

The newer surgeons have brought the revision rate of the BHR down from 99.9 to 96% since they joined the rest of the world. Most of these problems occur early on in their learning curve.  So that is the main reason we experienced hippies suggest doctors that have done at least 100 resurfacings.  They should have learned by then.  Some doctors never have problems, while some have quite a few.  The only way to know is to ask them.  However with only 15, he/she doesn't have much of a record to talk about. Also the real problems don't often show right after surgery - it sometimes takes months to show up.

In reality the chance is only 4 out of 100 people possibly having problems according to the statistics.  If you feel comfortable, then don't worry about it.

It is really up to you.  Who is your surgeon?

Many of us have cancelled thrs for a resurf, but not many have canceled a resurf to go to a more expeirenced surgeon.  Usually they don't feel right about the surgeon right after they visit and don't schedule surgery.

If you are younger and want to stay active - resurfacing is really the way to go.  The only real choice you have is who will do the surgery.

If you are in real pain, you need your hip done. 

Please keep in touch with us and let us know how everything is.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hollyk

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »
Thanks! I do feel comfortable with my surgeon here in orlando, Dr. Jeffrey Rosen, and I never got a response from the only other Dr. I saw. In fact, I left messages that I wanted to schedule surgery with him, but no one called back.. They also lost the xray I brought with me. I know they are very busy because he is so good, but being closer to home feels better to me. I still am very nervous because in my mind, my hip is not "bad enough" yet, but when I see myself walk, most people would say I'm crazy! thanks for your response!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 06:39:12 PM by hollyk »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »
If you have major pain, cysts and are not able to live an active life - you are ready to have a hip resurfacing.

You can also wait too long and miss the window of opportunity.  Cycts can get too large, etc.   So if the doctors says it is time, then normally it is.

The experienced surgeons will never do a hip that does not need to be done.  They are way too busy to be trying to make work for themselves.  I know many people that have been told, it is not time yet.

Everyone gets nervous.  Just think about what a great fall you will have walking all over without pain.  You forget how much you stop doing when you have bad hip pain.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

diann1460

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:03:49 AM »
As I read your message, i feel badly that I didn't see it before today...are you having surgery tomorrow?  I hope you have made the decision to do it...it is scary and a big decision but the best one i ever made...I too thought that my hip wasn't "bad" enough.  I will be three weeks out tomorrow and can't believe how great I feel.  No arthritis pain at all...it is a pleasure...I am 45 and feel 10 years younger just because I am no longer dealing with the constant pain of sitting, standing, walking, driving.  I have been good about following my hip precautions and am currently walking with a cane.  Looking forward to my five week check up.  Please write with any questions.  Good Luck!

L. Thomas

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
...I too thought that my hip wasn't "bad" enough.  Luck!

Boy is this me or what????
I m not the young sprite you are but I think I am too young to have a hip replacement (57).  I have had TKA and will need one on the other knee within the next 3 years.  I can live with that because I have been there done that and the results are phenomenal.  But I am so apprehensive about the hip. 

One source of anxiety is that the OS that did my TKA is really into knees.  He doesn't recommend hip arthroscopy or resurfacing.  I decided I needed other opinions so I found the premiere hip arthroscopy OS, Thomas Byrd and a OS that does only joint replacements Craig Morrison (basically only hips). 

Morrison's group Southern Joint Replacement Institute(3 OS) has an incredibly lengthy list of research and development with hip replacements and their group does more resurfacing than any group in the Southeast.  Isn't it coincidental they know each other very well?  The Byrd referrs to Morrison and vice-e-versa.  What are the odd of that happening.?  If Byrd doesn't think I am a candidate for arthroscopy I will have some "surgery" to my hip. 

My TKA OS sent his daughter to Byrd.  When I told my physical therapist I was seeing Byrd and Morrison he said that is who he sees.  He is the team physical therapist for TTU and certified athletic trainer and only does hips and knees.

All change is threatening, even change for the good.  They didn't think I needed a hip replacement because the joint showed only minor joint narrowing.  For 9 months I have been treated for bursitis.  Then a CT showed significant OA of the hip but it is not in the weight bearing area (and thus didn't show on x-ray).  So I am not even sure if I am a candidate for resurfacing.  I do know that hip replacement is indicated and I am fed up with my pain.  Because it is not the normal wear pattern obviously  I do not have the normal pain.  No pain when walking but excruciating unpredictable pain that cannot be associated with any particular movement that may last 20 minutes or 20 days..bam it's there ...bam it's gone. AND everyone agrees it is the hip.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »
Hi L Thomas

Welcome to Hip Talk.  Glad to see you over here.  I hope some of the folks can give you some support and information.

I have written to you on the other board, but my suggestions are still the same.  Get some free input from Dr. Gross of SC.  It is good to have as much info as possible to make decisions.

Dr. Bose of India and De SMet of Belgium also give free consultations. They are among the best in the world.  I doubt, however, that you want to travel that far since you have insurance.  Many people still go to both of them even when they have insurance.

I hope you can find a solution to your pain.  Sometimes is it not easy to figure it all out - as you are experiencing. 

I wish you the best and will answer any questions you have.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 11:09:38 AM »
I'm a 52 year old male who has suffered for the past several years with that bone-on-bone pain of osteoarthritis. I just had the Birmingham hip resurfacing (Jul 1) on my right side, and think that you and your husband should do what you want to do. Before my surgery, I talked to several different docs here in Pittsburgh and settled on Dr. Ari Pressman. He did an excellent job and is very experienced in the BHR method. He had no problem doing it on someone my age.
I would worry less about this new doc's experience - if he's properly trained - than the fact that he says he won't do it on people over 45. That sounds crazy to me.
Anyway, I think you're both asking the right questions, and should do what you feel comfortable doing.
- Tom

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:02 AM »
L.Thomas,

I'm 38 and have OA in left hip. (Bone on Bone) Horrible pain causing me to be on pain meds everyday for 2 yrs, Till I found this site and got educated. The 1st 2 Ortho. doctors I saw told me Total Hip Replacement and that I could not go back to jogging,tennis,skiing etc. Do your research and don't limit yourself.
Dr. Gross in SC preformed Left Hip Resurfacing on 6/23 and I am already walking a mile daily (with cane). Go for it.

Everyones only regret is they waited too long.

Good Luck on your decision's.

Lisa

P.S. I thought I was too young too. So I have to use a cane for a few weeks, better then the rest of my life.
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

ahershberger

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »
I just joined this site yesterday and am amazed at the similar thoughts/fears, etc. people share even after they have made the decision to have the BHR.  I am 46 years old and have OA in both hips and am scheduled for the left on August 4.  There are days that I only feel twinges of pain and other days that make me wish I could have already had the surgery.
I have talked with a former athlete who had walked with a pronounced limp for close to 9 years and although he had the BHR last summer, he told me that there is no pain but the "muscle memory" is taking a long time to change and still walks with a limp.  After hearing this, I decided that I now have no doubts.  Incidentally, I had one ortho whom recommended a TH and the 2nd one told me to look into BHR which then took me to the 3rd surgeon who I am using since he is the premiere doctor in my area.Does anyone post surgery have any exercise suggestions to help prior

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:45 AM »
ahershberger,

I'm two weeks post op and I would suggest to go into surgery as fit as possible without putting yourself in pain. I can only speak for myself but I was teaching 5-8 spinning classes a week and riding outside on the weekends
for 1-2hrs up some good climbs. I also tried to lift 2x/week without hurting my hip. However this had been my routine for the past 4 years when I had to give up running. The key is to ramp up your intensity (if you can) and keeping the volume either the same or even less. My weight training sessions were 20-30 min induration, spinning classes 1hr, and longest ride outside -2hrs. Cycling is the exercise of choice because of the lack of impact. Also stretch if you can and get some massage. If I can be of further help please feel free to ask.

spencer

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
Interesting point made by AHersherger about the person with muscle memory of the old limp. I've been wondering about that myself. I'm now 9 days post op, but doing PT and other exercises to balance the old bad muscles with the muscles on the good side.
And it sounds like I wasn't the only one who was putting off surgery for one reason or another. I guess I was waiting for someone, like a doctor, to say "Now it's time." It was actually my wife - bless her - who finally asked "What are you waiting for?" And when I couldn't give her a good answer, I knew it was time to take the plunge, and i'm glad I did.
- Tom

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 11:35:52 AM »
Tom,

I hear you. I was wondering even up to the day before surgery whether I was doing this at the right time. That speculation ended when my surgeon laughed as he was reading my xray and said he was surprised that I could tie my shoes. I had two big honkin' bone spurs. I think our most valuable resource is the coaching and support from our spouses.

spencer

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal