+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New hip is terrific - why can't I sleep?????  (Read 2781 times)

dimples

New hip is terrific - why can't I sleep?????
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:21:04 AM »
Hi all,
I had LBHR 6 weeks ago.  The new hip is doing great and improving every day.  Just wondering why I can't sleep at this point.  I can comfortably change positions in bed now.  I am also active during the day with PT and walking.  My PT suggested that I ask the Dr. for sleeping pills, but the Dr. said no (he doesn't do that). I often find myself taking pain meds at night just to get a few hours sleep even though I am not in much pain (just muscle stiffness and soreness). Any ideas?  Should I need any meds at this point?
Thanks all!

cgraves

Re: New hip is terrific - why can't I sleep?????
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:25:12 AM »
Hi,
I am now 20 days out from surgery.
There has been continuous strong improvment.
Hip pain is gone.  Muscle soreness and stiffness is decreasing.
But, I have great difficulty sleeping.
Anxiety ?
Not enough physical activity ?
I too am taking pain medication just to sleep.
Even that does not work some nights.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:39 AM »
Hi

Sleeping is often a problem.  I spent a lot of time in my lounge chair in the middle of the night.  Don't know why, but I could sleep better there.  The heprin shots I took really bothered med.  I slept better when  I stopped them 14 days later.

I don't see why a doctor won't give you a few sleeping meds temporarily.  THere are some over the counter meds.  The sleep meds are normally the same medicine as Benedryl.  Can't hurt to try that.  My pain doctor gave me some Sonoma - it has a half life shorter than regular sleep meds.  You can take it later in the night and not be hung over the next morning. That is my problem with sleep meds.

I think sleep is important and using something temporarily should not be a problem. There are the newer non addiictive meds - supposedly.  Most doctors will just give you some samples to try.  I would think it getter to take some of the newer sleeping pills than your pain meds.  The pain meds can become addictive. 

Trying to get a nights sleep is a problem most people have.  It just takes a long time for the physical body to heal and for our minds to settle down after major surgery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
Do you have pain at night when you lay down?
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

dimples

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:08:18 AM »
No real pain when I lay down other than a little soreness in the muscles. Thanks for the suggestions.  I've tried Benadryl but it seems to have to opposite affect on me and makes me WIDE awake. My recliner is very comfortable to sit in but I can't manage to sleep there either.  Any other thoughts on the subject are welcome!

DKM21ROLLOUT

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »
It must be fairly normal with this procedure. I can usually sleep in two hour segments. In between each I get up, stretch, walk, and many times read. Reading and drinking a cup of hot tea (bed time by Yogi Tea) will usually result in 2 hours of good sleep. I think you will just have to try different things and see what works for you.

Good Luck!

DKM

takilasunrise

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
My peronsal theory is that you've been sleeping good since your surgery because of the pain meds. and not dealing with the old pain.  Now that you're past the initial surgery pain and not needing the pain meds. like you did, your body is kind of going through withdrawl of the meds.  If you're still taking naps during the day like I did before I went back to work, you're probably just not as sleepy at night because of them.  Maybe back off of the daytime naps if your taking them.  Also, the allergy tabs (over-the-counter antihistimines like Benadryl or store brand) like mentioned above could help.  You could also take a look on-line for some home remedies for insomnia.  Right now I'm having the opposite problem, I am so tired and sleepy, I can't get enough sleep!  Good luck!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat