+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Joining the club of bilaterals - 4 days to go!  (Read 1524 times)

keepmovin

Joining the club of bilaterals - 4 days to go!
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Hi Folks,
I am four days out from surgery on my other hip.  My left was done 2 1/2 years ago; I thought I was good for another 5 years before my right went, but sometimes the body has other ideas!

In the coming months, I hope to use this forum to help and inform future and past surface hippies, just as this site has helped me tremendously and to also use this as a journal for myself.  My first time around, I kept no notes.  I felt helpless to comment when you would post questions and I couldn't quite remember my details.  What I do remember was leaving the hospital on a Thursday and on Friday, I was on a plane to Bermuda with my family for vacation/recuperation! ;D  We had a family vacation planned, my surgery was moved back which almost collided with our vacation.  My Dr. said if all looks good, you're good to go!  I was a very good patient!  I got the VIP treatment the whole way there and back and all worked out well!

Upon my return from sunny and warm Bermuda, I came home to damp and cold spring weather.  My at home PT began and I just remember walking around my block with crutches forever and taking it very slowly.  I wanted no complications so I did everything by the book.  My recovery was a bit slower than most due to on-going back issues.  I had my left hip resurfaced but my left back side was and is my worst side which hampered recovery.  I would like to share a short version of a lifetime of issues:

-I have always had back problems - pretty much all my life - never a problem with my hips.
 I made aggressive steps to solve the back issues, but most medical help meant some form of surgery.  I wasn't interested so just moved through the pain, which became my normal.   I'm very active and flexible - my yoga instructors thought I might be too flexible - I've been told that before.
-I've been exercising and running since the age of 12, used to swim, but walking was my favorite.  I used to work in NYC and when everyone else was taking cabs, subways or buses, I would walk - no matter how long it took.  I depended on my legs to get me everywhere.
-So, when I started having problems running and walking a few years ago, I was devastated.  When I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis AND hip dysplasia, I went through a short period of denial.
-I developed arthritis in my left hip due to the dysplasia, the right seemed OK but there was a labral tear noticed on the MRI.  It caused me no pain so we left that alone and concentrated on the left hip.  It took a year for me to work through the system until I found the right Dr. to perform a hip resurfacing.  My concern with a THR was dislocation.  Since I was extremely flexible, even pre-surgery, I felt I would easily dislocate my hip.
-The surgery was done on 4/11/11.  Due to the stenosis and what later showed were pinched nerves on both sides, it was difficult to do what PT required. Time moved on, I healed, put it all behind me and I became active and happy once again.
-Until my right went out December 2012.  This time it was the slight labral tear that tore further that created excruciating pain.  I still had cartilage but not healthy cartilage so nothing else could be done other than get a new hip.  I chose to have the hip shot, which I understand is controversial, but it did buy me time.

So, here I am.  I have spent the last couple of months just enjoying myself and having fun! :)  I discovered bike riding and have discovered new places because of riding!  I still do yoga and my ROM is still incredible!  Although, I can't walk without pain and becoming exhausted very quickly.

Thursday I head to HSS, Dr. Su is my Dr.  Now I'm nervous, of course, and just wish it to be over.
Once again, thank you all for your supported stories - I think this time around, I am more aware and prepared.  Unfortunately, I have no plans to fly to a beautiful island to recoup! :(

Cheers, everyone...literally, a nice glass of wine does wonders!
Debbie
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

hernanu

Re: Joining the club of bilaterals - 4 days to go!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »
I do feel for you on not going on vacation afterwards, but you are going to get a great gift afterwards - you will be fully done and can just go ahead with your life.

I was really looking towards my second with a bit of nervousness but mostly anticipation of completeness. I've gotten that, both hips keeping me happy.

You're going to be very happy once both are fully healed and ready to go. It's a ways off as you know, but in the rear view mirror, it seems quick to me now.

Good luck!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

oldsoccerplayer

Re: Joining the club of bilaterals - 4 days to go!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
Great coincidence, I fell in love with Bermuda on a business trip there about 10 years ago. My wife & I treated ourselves to a few days on the island at about a month pre-op. I'm still amazed how much walking I did there. Must have been mind over matter because after we got back I couldn't walk for more than 15 minutes without pain.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat