+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long on pain meds?  (Read 3985 times)

hollyk

How long on pain meds?
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »
What do most patients feel is the average time they are on pain meds after coming home? I find I still need tham every 5 hours or so in order to do the exercises, etc. I am 6 days out of hip resurfacing, but don't like meds..

terryi

Re: How long on pain meds?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »
I think you'll find everyone is different, which isn't a very satisfying answer.  I didn't take any of my vicodin.  It makes me feel loopy.  Instead, I went right to tylenol and took it for 1 week.  Now, I'm only taking celebrex and a blood thinner.  Regarding the latter, only 3 more days of injections!

All the meds made me feel sick to my stomach.  For me, I'd rather deal with the pain than the feelings of nausea, which so far has been the biggest downside to my surgery.  (Well, that and getting in and out of a car, which I find extremely difficult.)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:15:58 PM »
There is no correct answer.  I did not take anything but Advil after leaving the hospital in 2 1/2 days while some others took heavy meds for weeks and months.

A lot depends on your body and if you had any special problems.  Sometimes people that had difficult surgeries require more meds while their muscles get use to the new hip and sometimes new leg length or angle of the hip.   

Normally, a standard resurfacing for OA is usually the easiest recovery.

So whatever you are doing is RIGHT FOR YOU.    If you need the meds, by all means take them.  It makes recovering easier.  Some people liked to just take them at night to help them sleep.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

terryi

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »
Pat, did you take Celebrex with the Advil?  I've always been an Advil-guy, but doc didn't want me to mix it with Celebrex, so I took tylenol for a while.

Also, in another thread, I saw that you wore TEDS.  How common is that?  I was never told to wear them.  Am I taking a risk?

Thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »
I did not take Celebrex with the Advil.  I have more recently, but try not to very often since the Celebrex is a NSAID and so is Ibupropen.

THere has been conflicting info from doctors about taking Celebrex after surgery.  Some say it helps new bone growth and others say it hinders it.  Go figure.  Half the time you don't know what to do. 

Listen to your own doctor = that is always best.  ;)

Many doctors have you use TEDS and take shots like heprin.  I took the shots for 14 days.  I have some studies that say the TEDS and meds are likely to help, but again it is all so controversial.  I just did want my doctor said.  I also was flying on an airplane 10 days post op for almost 9 hours.  I took double shots of heprin before the flight.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hollyk

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:17 AM »
I am taking shots of levenox (blood thinner) for another few days, so Dr. said take only pain meds or Tylenol. I am able to spread it out now to every 6 hours, so hopefully in the next few days I can switch to just Tylenol.

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 12:00:25 PM »
Holly,

I started out needing Vicodin every 3-4 hrs, then went to 6, then 8 now on day 6 I take then every 10 hrs. It might help if you eat something when you take the Vicodin. I usually take them before my last set of exercises and my long walk of the day.  I'm not big on pain meds but I'm also not big on being in pain. I was taking tramadol on a daily basis before surgery and Vicodin on days I knew I was going to over-exert myself. I am also on a blood thinner injection (Arixtra), Celebrex and Repliva (Iron Supplement).  Lisa

Terri,

When getting in and out of car this is what I do and it seems to help. I have an SUV so that is helpful in itself but get as close to the seat as possible -turn around so your back is to the seat then use your crutch/cane on your good side and grab the dashboard with the surgey side- slowly lean back - once you are in upright seated position bring your legs around slowly. I hope that makes sense and helps...I've had to do that since before surgery..Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

terryi

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:06:47 PM »
Thanks.  My wife has an SUV, and it's easier to get in and out of than my coupe. 

With my car, I do enter backwards, but it is difficult to get my head/torso in without breaking 90 degrees.  I sit on the door sill and lean backwards, as you recommended, then scoot up to the seat and swing in.  Must be funny to watch...   

m2taylor

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »
my surgeon cautioned me not to take ibuprofen for the first twelve weeks as it is an NSAID and may compromise strengthening around the joint so I have been taking tylenol which is not an NSAID.   
of course, I needed much stronger meds first few weeks post op (Norco aka Percocet (sp?) aka Hydrocondin).   didnt like side effects (incl. no bowel movement for 7 days) & discontinued within 3 weeks. 
needed morphine first day post op to relieve discomfort , a considerable restlessness , itching & a very warm feeling in both legs akin to playing too much tennis before going to bed.   
I stopped using Ambien (supposed to help w. sleep) my 2nd night at home ... I woke up after only a couple hours w. a very odd sweat.

Big Bill

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
Hi ...I stopped mine about 7 days post op ...alot of times I do not think I really needed them...now I just wear the TED hose,use ice and massage. I am nine days post op and just finished a 1/2 mile walk. I prefer to listen to my body...everyone is different...if you need it -use it ...if you do not need it-don't !

Big Bill ,Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy (C.A.S.H.)

ginnie

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:18 PM »
you might want to start experimenting with fractions. I am also 6 days since surgery and when I need pain meds and it isnt all the time I only take 1/2 of one. I also suffered great indigestion with all the stuff they make you take in the hospital and after. I found a glass of milk usually doest the tridk on that one too. good luck! My biggest pain is wakeing up every day with a major headache. I think its the muscle tightness from waling with my arm crutches. It seems to go away after sitting upright for a while and having my sholder messaged.

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
Have you told your doctor about your headaches? That sounds unusual and I would ask a professional.
Good luck - Tom
RBHR 7-1-08
PS - I'm down to 2 tylenol in the morning and evening.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat