+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 weeks and still limping  (Read 2309 times)

diann1460

7 weeks and still limping
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »
I had my right hip done on May 29.  Recovery was pretty easy.  I am currently doing PT three times a week following my 5 week post op doctor's visit.  I am getting stronger but I still have a pronounced limp.  Prior to surgery my right foot rotated out at at 90 degree angle which caused me to limp.  Now, my leg is straight but I am wobbling side to side. Is this normal?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

xocy

Re: 7 weeks and still limping
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »
I call it doing the "Penguin". My grandson had great fun impersonating me before my surgery. I do my PT exercises twice per day, every day and I walk everyday. The routine only consist of 4 exercises and does not take long.

Walking behind a shopping cart also helped me work on my walking form.

Good Luck,
Mike

Dr. Gross
Bilat
6/23/08  and 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »
Hi...before I left the hospital,the PT guy told me to look up and focus on something in the distance-- not to look down (be careful not to trip over anything) and concenrate on your form. Slow down and take smaller steps to begin....then go into a more normal stride...stay focused on the task at hand...don't go too fast. Proper form is the key!  8)

Big Bill, Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy  ...   C.A.S.H.   ;D

John P

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 08:11:04 AM »
Hi,

My progress is quite simular to yours . I had surgery on my right hip ( BHR) June 5th. I can walk but have that wobble you mentioned. It is all down to working on muscles. I didn't do much muscle work in the first month , just walking and light excercises. Now I have started in the pool this week and after two sessions already notice how this is improving my butt muscles and quads. I spend 45 minutes in the pool and plan to do pool excercise every second day. My wife and kids tell me I am walking better already.

I walk up and down the pool for 5 minutes. Stop rest and do stretching excercises moving my leg forward, sideways, backwards and up.  I do each excercise 30 times. I then lie on my back and kick my legs in the water slowely. After these take a couple of minutes to recover and start again. You will be amazed how quickly 45  minutes goes.

I wouldn't be to worried about the wobble/limp. Once your muscles strenghten up everything should be OK.

Regards,

John P (41)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:20:02 AM by John P »

Big Bill

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »
John ....I did water aerobics and swam laps for about 14 months prior to my procedure. I am with you on the pool /water topic...I can't wait to get back in the pool! I believe Pat or another fellow Hippy has listed some water excercies....maybe under the PT topics. Get wet and get better!

Big Bill , C.A.S.H.  8)   

diann1460

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
Thanks so much!  I haven't tried pool exercises yet and will give them a try!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat