+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: is procedure appropriate if previous injury and pins?  (Read 1729 times)

tkay

is procedure appropriate if previous injury and pins?
« on: July 20, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
15 years ago I fractured the neck of my femur in a biking accident and 3 pins were inserted to fix it.  A few years ago I was diagnosed with AVN on the head of the femur.  I’m currently 54.  The painful symptoms are getting worse and it’s time to take care of it.  I like the idea of hip resurfacing but because of my past injury am I a candidate for the procedure?

Vicky

Re: is procedure appropriate if previous injury and pins?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »
Only a doctor can tell you that for sure, but I would definitely send your x-rays via email for a free consult with Dr. Bose (in India, info under Listing of doctors here) since he is the world expert on AVN cases.  Both Cory Foulk (the triathlete listed under athletes here) and Floyd Landis (Tour de France) had broken the necks in their femur, Floyd had three pins in his hip and Cory had 5 pins, they both developed AVN and were both successfully resurfaced.

Vicky

tkay

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:22:49 AM »
Well that's good to know.  Thanks for the speedy reply.  I'd like to find someone in the Phoenix area that does this.  Any ideas?

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:29:27 AM »
Well AVN is considered a complicated case by most surgeons.  If you want to obtain a succesful hip resurfacing procedure, I would recommend not using distance as a number one concern but the skill of the surgeon as your top priority.  Many resurfacing surgeons will tell AVN cases that they should get a THR.  Some of the newer resurfacing surgeons might resurface you too soon or not preserve the neck capsulte which will cause early failure.  In the U.S. one of the most experienced resurfacing surgeons is Dr. Su in NYC.  Closer to Arizona, you would have Dr. Ure in Mt. Shasta.  Again, if you are asking for my opinion, I would only recommend going to a really experienced surgeon when you have AVN.  You really should email your x-rays to Dr. Bose for a free email consult to find out where you stand.  Do you have your x-rays in jpeg format?

Vicky

tkay

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »
I agree, I was just hoping there would be someone closer with the right experience.  I can get my last x-rays in digital format and send them to the doctors you mentioned.  Thanks for the info.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:26:53 AM »
Hi tkay

I just wanted to welcome you to Hip Talk.

I do know of several other people that had pins in their femurs too and had sucessful hip resurfacings. The surgeons were able to work around the pins.  I have an x-ray of one that I will put up in a few days.  It is interesting to look at.

When you have difficult hip problems, you need to look for the really experinced hip surgeons to do the surgery.  The less experineced surgeons will often revert to THRs if the surgery is too difficult for them.  Some will tell you to go to a more experienced hip resurfacing surgeon, but not too many will do that.

So keep that in mind that you need to worry more about finding an experienced surgeon than worrying about one in your back yard. Most of us don't have the worlds best of any sport, medical speciality or musician in our neighborhoods.  We have to travel to find them.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat