+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled for Bilat with Dr. Su  (Read 1825 times)

moultoncj

Scheduled for Bilat with Dr. Su
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
I am scheduled for double hip resurfacing with Dr. Su at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City on Sept 11, 2008 (an ominous date, all around!).  So, while I am somewhat immobile these days, I decided to google hip resurfacing and found this site.  This is wonderful- thank you.  I am 50 years old and have had hip pain for around seven years.  The last six months being particularly awful.  I approach this surgery with feelings of optimism mixed with fear.  But, learning through reading this website is very helpful. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:27:27 PM by Pat Walter »

Vicky

Hello from a newcomer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »
What is your name?  You have picked one of THE best hip resurfacing surgeons in the U.S. if not in the world.  You will be in excellent hands.  The Hospital for Special Surgery also has the lowest infection rate of any U.S. hospital.  Do you live in NYC?  By the way, I had surgery with Dr. Bose in India back in 2005, my hip is doing great, just like a normal hip now.

Vicky

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Scheduled for Bilat with Dr. Su
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
Hi
Welcome to Hip Talk.

Dr. Su is one of the most experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in the US.  He has many happy patients.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.  This group is very supportive and helpful.  It is a great place to talk about your fears since we have all been thru it or about to go thru surgery.

I hope you have been able to read the many Dr. Su Patient stories here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._Su_Hip_Stories_

Dr. Bob Arnot is a bilat patient with a great story.

Many of us have been in pain for years and our lives had come to a stand still.  My best activity before my hip resurfacing was sitting in a chair.

Good luck and keep in touch.  I hope you will write a story for the website after you get your hips donw.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moultoncj

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »
Thank you, all for the quick, welcoming responses.  My name is Janet and I live in Westchester County, just outside of Manhattan.  I look forward to reading and learning. 

nwugrad

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »
Janet,

I have an appointment with Dr. Su in Sept. and I am also considering a bi-lat.  Are you having both done simultaneously,i.e., during the same day/procedure? How long was the wait b/t your consultation and your surgery date?   Best of luck to you!  I look forward to hearing about your progress.

moultoncj

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 10:10:59 AM »
Hi!   I had my appointment with Dr. Su on June 4th.  I could have had surgery toward the end of August but I have to get my youngest off to college, so we put the surgery off until 9/11.  My left hip is, in Dr. Su's words, "severely deteriorated" while the right hip is "moderate to severely deteriorated".  He gave me the choice to have just the left hip done now and the right done later (six months later) or to do both.  I opted for both but I really am not sure if that is the right decision as my house has quite a few stairs.  I may end up renting a hospital bed and sleeping in the dining room!  I am confident with my choice of doctor and hospital.  I have a friend who is an anesthesiologist at Hospital for Special Surgery and he is the one who told me about hip resurfacing and Dr. Su.  I thought that my only choice was total hip replacement. 

nwugrad

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »
THank you for responding!  I believe I would do the same, w/ re: to simultaneous bi lat.  Why go thru the procedure and rehab twice??  I have waited until the end of the summer for similar reasons.  My oldest is moving into his college dorm on labor day weekend.  I have friends in the NYC area and all have spoken highly of the Hospital for Special Surgery.  Dr. Su was recommended by Vicky and also is discussed very positively on this site esp'ly re: bi lats.   Best of luck to you!

stevenp

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »
I had a RBHR done on July 10 by Dr. Su.  He and the hospital were great. Several bilats seem toprefer having them done at the same time. It could be tricky getting around and sitting for a few days though. His approach does seem to give a good recovery though, with no movement restrictions, no injections of blood thinners (just aspirin twice a day), no post-discharge TEDS stockings, etc.  At 4 weeks I'm walking around the house with barely a limp, and use a cane or 1 crutch when going out.

BTW, my time between initial consult and surgery was 3 days. But I'm local.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat