+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: help with sleeping at night  (Read 2491 times)

ahershberger

help with sleeping at night
« on: August 14, 2008, 03:06:41 PM »
Anyone have this trouble and if so what did your docs recommend you take for it?  I am having trouble getting a good night's sleep! I fall asleep but not deep enough to be restful...
Thanks.
Alison

xocy

Re: help with sleeping at night
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »
I'm 7 weeks post op from a bilateral and still have trouble sleeping. I think I am just a light sleeper and a little pain wakes me up. I've tried Ambien and Lunesta , but they don't seem to work for me like they do for others. You should probably try them.

I weened myself off Celebrex and Vicodine, but if I get a real urge for a good sleep,I can take these right before bed and they work.

Mike

Dr. Gross
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »
I think the better question would be, has there ever been anyone that didn't have trouble sleeping after this surgery.  :-)  I believe we all did.  I use Benadryl when I have a hard time falling asleep, it knocks me out.

In time, you should get back to a good nights sleep, but in the beginning with not being able to sleep on your side, etc. it can get really hard to get used to. 

Vicky

DirkV

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:06:12 AM »
I'm sure there are multiple, and probably often conflicting, pieces of advice on this issue. I had bilat 5 weeks apart (4 mo ago for the last) and asked my surgeon for sleeping advice for the 2nd surgery. Actually I asked for a sleeping pill prescription after the 2nd surgery.
His advice was that if I don't typically suffer from sleeping issues then the sleeping pills aren't addressing the real cause. So he advised that I get and take a prescrip for overnight pain pills (oxycodone or somesuch). I did take the pain pills at night into the 2nd and 3rd weeks post-op, as I recall, and the lack of sleep was a little bit less of an issue for the 2nd side.
Good luck, and know that it will get better,
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »
Hi

Most people have a difficult time sleeping.  I was so use to not sleeping for years before surgery, that it was no different after surgery except I did not have any pain.  That was the best part.  I also slept better after I stopped taking the heparin shots.

I just did not fight the sleep issue.  I would transfer out to my recliner chair, turn the TV on and nap in my chair in the middle of the night.  For some reason, the recliner chairs are easier to sleep in for most people.  I would spend a couple hours in bed and a couple hours in the chair. Eventually, I was able to sleep better.

Sleeping problems just come with the territory - bad hips and post op recovery after surgery. 

As others have said, some use sleeping pills which work for them and some take pain pills to help them sleep.  You just need to find what works for you and not get upset if it doesn't.  You are in healing mode and life will get better eventually.  The best thing to do at night when you are laying awake is to plan on what you are going to be doing a year from now.  Be Thankful for Hip Resurfacing - count your Surface Hippy Blessings!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »
Hey Alison,

I remember when I sent the same post to Pat weeks ago and along with what her present response is she told me as I become more active sleep will not be such an issue and she was correct once again. Gotta love her.
 I took Lunesta because I could not bare to watch the sun come up another day. It worked for me but not for all. I've had non-sleeping issues for year and had taken benadryl and Tylenol PM almost daily.
 They weren't enough for my Hip Resurfacing Insomina!!!!!
Good Luck falling asleep tonight!

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6/23/08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

ahershberger

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:39:11 PM »
Lisa:
Thanks for the response.

My ortho surgeon passed my request off onto my primary physician and he said that I could safely take Tylenol PM and I'm glad since it usually works for me; although I know that I only need to take one pill instead of two.
Prior to getting my answer though, I had previously bought and tried the last few nights a product by the makers of Tylenol PM called Simply Sleep. It doesn't contain any pain reliever.  Again after only 1 pill, it seemed to help me get my deep, restful sleep. 

So, here's to a better sleep as I go into my 3rd week of recovery!

Alison

scotty

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »
Hi Allison, seems we both had our operations on the same day. it will be interesting comparing recovery notes. I am also having trouble sleeping, however i dont really want the sleeping pills. I talked to the nurse 1 week after the op about the sleeping and simply she said, You are now restricted to bed or chair during the day not using up much energy at all, compare this to before surgery, I know i was and will be again a very busy man, doing 60 to 70 hours per week at work. Now im usually pretty well stuck in bed while i recover. It doesnt help that we must sleep on our back constantly,(drives me nuts).I must admit it was good timing to recover from the operation as the Olympic Games started not long after.(Go the Aussies).  Allison, good luck with your 3rd week, before we know it it will be week 4.

Cheers
Scotty

takilasunrise

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »
I was prescribed Ambien prior to my surgery for lack of sleep from the pain I experienced.  I ended up only taking 1/2 to one because they worked too good for me!  I slept pretty well after the surgery due to the prescription painkillers, but once I started cutting back and then ran out, I started having issues of sleeping, but I don't think it was because of pain or anything, I think because I had gotten used to having help to go to sleep!  I started taking Benadryl for help.  Actually, that's the same ingredient that makes you sleepy in Tylenol PM (it is also the ingredient in Midol).  For me, it was cheaper to buy just the Tylenol by itself and then the Benadryl by itself, and take the recommended dose of each.  I also buy the store brands, so I really save money.  To this day, I still need help on occasion, so I take the Benadryl.  But the best way for me to have the best sleep is to be sure I exercise each day.  If I do at least 20 minutes on my recumbent exercise bike each day, I can almost be guaranteed a good night's sleep! 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:57:36 PM by takilasunrise »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal