+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Gross Surface Hippy - 5 Days Post-Op!!!  (Read 3076 times)

JeanM

New Gross Surface Hippy - 5 Days Post-Op!!!
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:46:06 PM »
I had my left hip re-surfaced by Dr. Gross last Wednesday and I'm happy to report that I'm feeling pretty great!  So far, my recovery has been much better than I ever imagined.  I was released from the hospital on Friday and we drove three hours to my sister's house in North Carolina.  I'll continue to recover here all week before flying home to Utah on Saturday.  Amazingly, I've had really no pain at all.  I've taken nothing stronger than Tylenol so far.  I truly can't believe it.  But, I'm grateful for it.  Today, I've started to use just one crutch to walk.  I didn't intend to move to one crutch this soon.  It just happened because I began to realize that the second crutch was really just in the way at this point. 

Last week in the hospital, I was feeling pretty crummy.  So, I'm really surprised that I've rebounded so quickly.  My blood pressure and heart rate were really, really low and I think that was causing me to be very weak and nauseous all the time.  Since leaving the hospital, my blood pressure has returned to normal, my appetite has returned and I've been feeling better every day.  I had a hard time sleeping at first.  But, each night gets better.  Last night, I got a really good night's sleep.  I've also been napping a lot throughout the day.

I'm not sure why my recovery has been so good and so free of pain so far.  But, I think it might be because I went into the surgery in really good physical condition.  After giving up so many sports over the last 12 years of pain, road cycling was the one sport that I could still do pretty well.  In the months before my surgery, I rode many miles and regularly climbed my bike up all of our long and steep canyon roads.  I think all that climbing really paid off.  So, my advice is to try to go into the surgery in the best physical shape possible.   I found cycling to be a great way to achieve that because it's not weight bearing and it happened to be the one motion that I could still do with my hip.  It was bizarre.  I could easily ride a century on my bike and climb several thousand feet in a ride.  Yet off the bike, I could barely manage to walk around the grocery store. 

The second piece of advice that I have is to ice your hip a lot.  Dr. Gross sends his patients home with a really great ice machine thing.  It's wonderful.  I think icing my hip regularly since surgery has helped to eliminate pain and reduce the swelling.  At the very least, it just feels great!

Dr. Gross is very conservative and I intend to follow all of his rules and be super conservative during my recovery even if I continue to feel this good.  I'm very nervous about getting beyond the 6 month point without a fracture.  So, I intend to be very conservative.  If all goes well, I should be cleared to snowboard by March, but I might wait until next year to snowboard.  I don't want to screw this up by doing something stupid too soon!

I was very nervous about doing this surgery and I did 6 months of research before choosing Dr. Gross and scheduling the surgery.  By the way, I went with the uncemented Biomet device.  The reasons that Dr. Gross and Biomet have pursued the development of an uncemented device make a lot of sense to me.  My hunch is that they're onto something.  I'm only 41 and I need a long term solution.  Eliminating the long term weak link in the system makes sense to me.  However, it is a risk.  Everyone needs to make their own decision about this.  It felt like the right decision for me.  So far, Dr. Gross has put in about 300 uncemented devices.

So, that's my scoop!  Another happy surface hippy . . . at least so far! 

Thanks so much to Pat and all of the folks that have shared so much of their personal experience and thoughts on this forum!  In the coming months, I'll try to do the same for others behind me in this journey!

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

obxpelican

Re: New Gross Surface Hippy - 5 Days Post-Op!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »
Jean,

Hey welcome to the Gross surface hippy club.

Glad to hear you are doing so well.  Did his crew treat you like we've all come to know?

Good luck in the future.

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »
Hi Jeanie

Congratulations on being an official Surface Hippy!

Great to sound you are having a quick and easy recovery.  We wish that for everyone. 

We hope your recovery contiues and you will be off and walking your way into fall very shortly.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

JeanM

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »
Yes!  Dr. Gross and his staff were top notch all the way!  Also, the hospital staff is well versed in Dr. Gross' very specific protocol.  The only complaint that I have is the hospital food is the worst food that I've ever tasted.  I didn't know food could be so bad! 

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
LOL   ;)

I would have to agree the food was not the best food I've ever had, but to be honest with you I've never been in a hospital where the hospital was what I would say was good.  Almost always tasteless, over cooked etc.

Keep up the great rehab!

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:55:44 PM »
Jean,

Welcome to Hippyville!!! Dr. G and Lee are an awesome team as well as Nancy and the entire staff including Povidence staff. I look forward to skiing but will wait till next season. This winter I'll just focus on strengthening muscles. I'm about 2 1/2 months in and feel great. Good Luck with your recovery.

Hey Chuck-The food is nasty in every hospital but there are sooo many places to get around that area. I had Olive Garden! Yum!

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08

Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »
Jean,

Hey I was thinking about you tonight.... how are you doing now?

You ought to be doing laps by now  ;)

Hope all is well.

BTW--- I was going to email you, but you have it hidden   :(

Chuck

LOL   ;)

I would have to agree the food was not the best food I've ever had, but to be honest with you I've never been in a hospital where the hospital was what I would say was good.  Almost always tasteless, over cooked etc.

Keep up the great rehab!

Chuck

Chuck
8-6-08

JeanM

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »
Hey Chuck,
Thanks for the post!  I'm doing great.  My recovery has been much better than I ever imagined.  I'm so grateful for that.  Today, I walked a hilly 2.5 miles with the cane.  So far, the hip seems good!  Amazingly, I've had no pain during my recovery.  But, I do get tired and I sleep a lot! 

My operated leg is still about 1/2 inch longer than it should be.  I'm not too concerned about that right now because I've read plenty of posts that have said the discrepancy will disappear over time as interior inflammation subsides and tissues compress.  Was your operated leg longer after surgery? 

How are you feeling?  How has your recovery been?

Oh, I modified my profile to allow my email address to be visible.  Thanks for letting me know about it!

Jeanie

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »
I've dumped my crutches, as of last week I guess.  I too felt tired everyday the first 3 weeks or so, just doing something like taking a ride in the car would wipe me out.  Now I am pretty much back to normal energy wise.

On long walks I use a walking stick, but other than that when I go out I use nothing at all.  I too had that long leg feeling, but it was only the first week or so, then it went away.  I had moderate pain, mostly a feeling like a monkey fist cramp in my hip below my incision but the joint pain was gone the second I was up on crutches the day of surgery.

I am so glad to hear you're doing well.  Keep up the good healing work.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,
Thanks for the post!  I'm doing great.  My recovery has been much better than I ever imagined.  I'm so grateful for that.  Today, I walked a hilly 2.5 miles with the cane.  So far, the hip seems good!  Amazingly, I've had no pain during my recovery.  But, I do get tired and I sleep a lot! 

My operated leg is still about 1/2 inch longer than it should be.  I'm not too concerned about that right now because I've read plenty of posts that have said the discrepancy will disappear over time as interior inflammation subsides and tissues compress.  Was your operated leg longer after surgery? 

How are you feeling?  How has your recovery been?

Oh, I modified my profile to allow my email address to be visible.  Thanks for letting me know about it!

Jeanie

Chuck
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
Jean, glad to hear you are doing well so soon after surgery. Good luck !!   Bill. 

sherry

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:56:56 PM »
Jeanie, Your OTOS (on the other side). Welcome to the wonderful pain free world of being a surfacehippy.
Dr G and Lee are wonderful. I was going to have Dr G do my 1st resurf but I got in to see Dr Kennedy.
I only took 1 Darvacet in the hosp and Aleve after that. Very smart to rest, take it easy and follow Dr G's instructions. Glad your doing so well. Hope my 2nd resurf on other side goes as well.

Sherry LC+ 11-10-08 Kennedy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat