+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any re-surfers still surfing after op?  (Read 4937 times)

LV2SRF

Any re-surfers still surfing after op?
« on: September 14, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »
I am a surfer from Guam scheduled for op in India. Wondering what to expect as far as getting back out into the surf.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Any re-surfers still surfing after op?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »
Hi

When are you scheduled for your surgery with Dr. Bose?

If you ask Dr. Bose what you can do after you recover - he will say anything you want.

Many hip resurfacing patients have returned to surfing.

Hopefully, you will hook up with a few here on the website eventually.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

peteuk

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
hi, i am a surfer from the uk , i was supposed to get a resurfacement but ended up with a thr metal on metal, i am at 6 months at the moment , i have been in the water a few times but can/t jump to my feet yet but just to paddle around  to try and maintain paddle fitness,

i asked a similar question at www.swaylocks.com and several people there have returned to surfing ok,

you have to be guided by your pain and discomfort level, i thought i would have been back in by now but it still feels a few months off yet ,

you may be quicker ,just don/t rush things , pete

John C

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:55:15 AM »
I have met two or three people out on the water who have returned to surfing after THRs, some in as little as two or three months. I have heard about people after resurfacing, just not met any. I am now three months out from resurfacing. I have paddled around some, but definitely not ready to jump to my feet yet. Dr. Gross bans surfing for six months, so I plan to wait until then.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 01:15:01 AM »
I know two guys who surf with thr's. I'm sure a resurfaced hip will perform just as well.  I plan on surfing again, it's a big part of the reason I'm going to do it.  I'm planning a surf trip one year after my surgery date (9-22-08)  If I could still surf I would put it off, but I can't, so in we go !!!! ;D

graza

• Right Mid Head Resection McMinn 20/08/08
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »
Yo guys!

2 of my mates are now surfing better than they did before hip surgery. 1 guy had his hip smashed on a bike crash, took him a year to get back in, and the other guy was rippin it up in the snow and in the water 4 months post op after a BHR. (not sure about the snow though, i might skip a year to be safe).

I'm 4 weeks post op after having a BMHR or (Birmingham Mid Head Resection) with Mr. McMinn in Brimngham.

I managed my last surf a week before my operation but partly dislocated my hip during that session as i had no socket left. Man the amount of pain killers/anti-inflam's i needed to take in order to surf was crazy.

Hopefully another 3 months before getting wet again. Off to Morocco for Christmas waves with no pills! Heaven.

Keep me posted as it's soooo good to hear bout people getting back in the water after the op.

Cheers
Graza

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat