+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: surgery on October 24th - couple questions  (Read 1708 times)

datkins587

surgery on October 24th - couple questions
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »
I'm scheduled to get a resurface on my left hip on 10-24-08 with Doctor Rector in Boulder CO. Couple questions for you folks who have done it already.

First I live alone and I don't have nor do I expect much help other than a trip back home from the hospital. Is this something I can do alone or will I definitely need some sort of help with food, toilet etc? I plan on getting some easy to prepare meals and soups but is that something I should even consider. Not sure I have any choice really but what are your thoughts?

Second question is how much actual pain should I expect after surgery. I don’t handle pain well (pussy) and I'm more concerned with the first day or two after surgery. I had a hernia operation years back and if its anything like that (Horrible) then I better be ready for it mentally.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: surgery on October 24th - couple questions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:11:54 PM »
Hi Datkins

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Some people get along fairly well by themselves.  I know people that traveled to Belgium and India by themselves, then stayed alone pre op until they were ready to go home.  A lot depends on your own body.  Some people can hardly get out of bed, while many can get around.  They move slowly, but are able to walk and do stairs.

The thing that is difficult to do is take TEDS on and off if you have to wear them.  I took mine off at night and my husband had to do that for me.  As far as shoes and socks, chose slip ons.  Have someone help you with the socks every couple days and just wear then all night.

Some people are on walkers, some on crutches and others on only one crutch.  One crutch is the easiest because you have one hand free.  You can normally get around a kitchen by hanging on to the counters.  Everyone is different.  I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Belgium and walked the long halls to each meal after I was released from the hospital at 2 1/2 days.  I could have eaisly gotten around my house.  Other people say they can't hardly get around.  So a lot depends on you.  If you have a friend or neighbor, just have them drop in every day.  Keep a cell phone near so you can call for help if you need it.

The pain question is also different for everyone.  I only took Advil after leaving the hospital at 2 1/2 days.  Other people took regular heavy pain meds for weeks and some longer.  It depends on each person.

You should ask your doctor what is normal for his patients.

Most hospitals won't let you be in pain.  Be sure to tell them you feel pain and don't want any.  I also told them I got naseated easily and would need meds.  They took care of it all. 

Sorry I can't be more specific but everyone is different.  Let's hope you will have a quick and easy recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »
Datkins... Big Bill here....I had hernia surgery 2 years ago.  :(  My resurfacing (7/9/08) was NOTHING compared to the hernia surgery  ::) . I was just apprehensive with the resurfacing ...I was in pain with the hernia ordeal...Much more lengthy rehab on the hip though. If you have any Q's you just ask...you will get an answer. If I were to have an issue with my other hip ...i would not hesitate to go thru with another resurfacing...although I hope I never need any surgery,ever again!

Big Bill   C.A.S.H.  7/9/08  8) 

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:27:44 AM »
Datkins, I am one week out of surgery and will be on my own tomorow as my wife goes back to work. I feel confident I will be ok but would not have wanted to do the first few days solo.  I fall into the my hip hurts like a #@*&^&^%$#!! and am on 1-2 norcos every 4-6 hours and using a walker categorie.  Pat is right about the teds, they are an absolute pain in the butt.  Thinking about doing it solo......hmmmm, here are a few things that come into my mind. You wont be able to bend over and pick anything up without using the little grabber tool, until you drop it. Maybe a standby on top of a table just in case (oops I mean when) that happens. Since you really dont know how well you will do I would go with a walker with a basket or tuperware container zip tied to the front of it so you can carry stuff like food, a bottle of water, cell phone etc.  Pre-made ready to eat microwave meals sound like a good way to go but you don't want to try and frisbie them into the microwave from the other side of the kitchen.... ;D.  You will want an easy way to carry things. I rented a toilet chair with handles to make life easier, I paid 40 bucks for a month rental, I dont think I will need it that long but it makes life on the throne very easy. You still have plenty of time to plan so be creative, maybe zip tie a 2x4 to your bad side some weekend and have a little "dry run", Ha Ha good visual right ?  Me personally I think some one for at least the first afternoon and night to kinda help you get dialed in and then go from there...just my  $.02   Good Luck !! and hope all goes well for you, Bill.

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:20:17 AM »
As Bill and Pat stated microwave meals and pre-made frozen meals would be a lot of help for you.

One thing nobody mentioned, have you called your insurance company and made them aware of your situation?  I know in the hospital in SC they had a social worker come in and quized me on if I live alone, how many steps... I am just wondering if your insurance company would not allow you some assistance at least for the first week or so.  You might also want to check your phone book around here there are agencies that will come and give you assistance, they are not nurses, but rather helping hands.

Every case is different but after I got home from the hostpital (3 days post op) I was pretty mobile, although I know I would not have been able to put teds on myself, although my doctor did not use that protocol.  After the first week I was up in the kitchen helping to make meals as my wife tends to burn water when she boils it (sorry honey) as long as she helped with the low lying stuff it worked out.

A raised toilet seat is a must, with handles, greatest invention ever, although some use those plastic urinals, I never did as I wanted to be up and mobile ASAP. 

The more you get up and move around the better you will be, don't lie around every so often the first few days get up out of bed, laying around too much is not good for you.  Even if you are on limited weight bearing post op, MOVE AROUND. 

As far as pain, ask your doctor what is protocol is.  If he answers with "what is that?"  CANCEL THE SURGERY.  Most all doctors have ways of dealing with your pain.  Dr Gross prefers spinals for surgery and loads you up with pain meds so that your leg in numb the first 24-36 hours.  I woke up with no pain whatsoever, I never even took an advil or pain pill till late in the 2nd day post-op but my pain was never worse than my worst day with my hip.  My hip felt more like a big old monkey fist cramp for the first 9 days, then everything got really good.  If your doctor has a good pain protocol, you won't have real bad pain the day of surgery, in fact the first day may be your best day.   Important thing is talk to your doctor.

Good luck with the surgery, please come back and tell us how you did.

Chuck

I'm scheduled to get a resurface on my left hip on 10-24-08 with Doctor Rector in Boulder CO. Couple questions for you folks who have done it already.

First I live alone and I don't have nor do I expect much help other than a trip back home from the hospital. Is this something I can do alone or will I definitely need some sort of help with food, toilet etc? I plan on getting some easy to prepare meals and soups but is that something I should even consider. Not sure I have any choice really but what are your thoughts?

Second question is how much actual pain should I expect after surgery. I don’t handle pain well (pussy) and I'm more concerned with the first day or two after surgery. I had a hernia operation years back and if its anything like that (Horrible) then I better be ready for it mentally.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:29:52 AM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

datkins587

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
Thanks every one for the advice. I feel a little better now about life after surgery the 1st week or so.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat