+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What to pack?  (Read 2106 times)

triathloner

What to pack?
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »
Well I'm two weeks out and have done most of my homework.  I'm just thinking about what I need to pack.  I don't want to take too much so my dear wife doesn't have to lug too much around at the airport on the way home.  We will be in SC for two days before Wed surgery and we will be flying home on Sat.  Do I need clothes for in the hospital?  will they let me wear my own, or am I looking at 2 days of gowns?  Just curious. Thanks.  Al.
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

JeanM

Re: What to pack?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
Hi Al,
You'll need very little.  I was in hospital gowns for the entire time in the hospital.  When I was in the hospital, I was pretty weak and tired and had no strong desire to change out of the hospital gown.  They also give you socks to put on with rubbery stuff on the bottom so you don't slip.  When you leave you'll want some big, baggy shorts or something like sweatpants to put on.  Whatever you bring it should be big and baggy and of a soft, stretchy material.  I was very swollen and didn't fit comfortably into any of my normal shorts.  My sister had to go out and buy me a pair of big, baggy shorts!  Although I think I may have been more swollen than most for my first, few days.   Also, you'll want to be able to put the Polarcare wrap on comfortable over whatever you wear.  So, you want something that's a heavy enough material to provide a buffer so that the Polarcare isn't right against your skin, but light enough so that the cold makes it through. 

It would probably be great to have a pair of shorts or sport pants made from that slippery, silky material because then you'll be able to slide over the bed and seats more easily without the need for a plastic bag.

Hope this helps!

Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:45:41 PM »
Hi Al,

Pack several pairs of athletic shorts and boxers, flips flops (good ones) and sweats if it's cold. I also had some running socks and running shoes equipped with speed laces to avoid tying. A few t-shirts and you'll be good to go. Pj's too if you find the gowns a bit drafty.

take care,

spencer

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 01:11:18 PM »
Al,

Take 2 large garbage bags, if you take those silky athletic shorts and you place the bags on your car seat it makes it real easy to slide around when you swing your legs in.  Hospital gowns suck, get out of them asap.

You won't need much in the hospital, 3 pair of underwear, some shirts and those shorts.  SC is warm most of the time and it should be in October, check the forecast though.

You can change into shorts post op and they make you feel more comfy, the shorts is all I needed for the polar care unit that they will give you..... have them show you how the hoses can get kinked, nurse Lynn is real good at explaining that she was also Dr. G's 50th patient.

Most of all do not worry, Dr. G has a fantastic pain protocol and the hospital people are great to deal with--- if a young african american guy does your pre-registration tell him that Chuck says "Go Steelers!"  he's a big Browns fan and we really got on each other the Tuesday before my surgery.

You will also get a kit to help you with socks, and a grabber which became my best friend.  One thing you might want to consider pre-op is a raised comode with handles, it really does help with the 90 degree rule that Dr. G will put you on.

Give Nancy, Lee and Dr. G my best.

Chuck

Well I'm two weeks out and have done most of my homework.  I'm just thinking about what I need to pack.  I don't want to take too much so my dear wife doesn't have to lug too much around at the airport on the way home.  We will be in SC for two days before Wed surgery and we will be flying home on Sat.  Do I need clothes for in the hospital?  will they let me wear my own, or am I looking at 2 days of gowns?  Just curious. Thanks.  Al.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

xocy

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
I had bilateral surgery by Dr. G in June, so I was admitted on Monday and discharged on Friday. Loose fitting gym shorts are the order of the day at the hospital and at home. If the weather turns off cold, loose "couch potato" pants. I like the ones from Costco.

When I went for my 6 week follow up, I told Lee that for the entire six weeks I was most comfortable going "commando". She said that she had heard that from many of the patients. I wanted to keep my incisions as clean and dry as possible.

Flip flops are good because you don't have to bend over to put them on or tie them. Even sandals can be a problem. You will do your rehab at the hospital with footies that they provide. They have a none slip surface on the bottom.

Since you have to travel by plane, use tennis shoes when you are discharged. You will also want tennis shoes once you start your daily walks.

If you have a shower caddie take it with you. For some reason the hospital doesn't even have a soap dish. You wouldn't believe how inconvenient it is when you are standing in a shower on crutches (with both hips impaired) trying to find a place for the soap. LOL

If you need me to answer any other questions, send an email. mraycox@aol.com

Mike
Dr. Gross
Bilateral
L 6/23/08  R  6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

triathloner

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:22 AM »
Chuck the hip kit you received, did you get it from the hospital or did you pick it up at the pharmacy there?  I was actually going to order one off the internet today to have delivered to my home so I don't have to lug it on the plane home.  What do you think.  Is is transportable, or would I be better off ordering one soon?
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

LKS

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »
Hi Al,
I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Gross on Monday the 20th of Oct. so I'll be discharging when you come on Wed.  Stop by and say "Hi" if you have time before the surgery. 

Thanks for asking all these practical questions.  I find I have the same ones.  I guess you are taking your crutches with you on the plane?  Just check them (hopefully don't have to pay for an additional bag?) 

I was told by Nancy Smith (the nurse) that you can order the hip kit from Long's drug and they will ship it to your house.  She said you could wait to use it until you got home if you are concerned with luggage space.  My husband and I will spend the weekend in Charleston playing one last round of golf..so I will have my clubs also! 

One additional question for someone...   Can you take the ice machine device on the plane with you?  Did you wish you had had it on the plane if you could not take it?  I have a 2 hour flight home.  If you cannot take it on...should I get ice from the food court and put it in a zip lock to use while on the flight? Can the ice machine fit in a large duffle bag?   Seems like we will leave with more than we come with so we should pack light and bring a big suitcase. 

Thanks for all the support and advice.  Laura

xocy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:00:43 AM »
The ice machine is in a cardboard box with a plastic bag liner. The box is about the size of a carry on bag. To use it you will need electricity. It has a pump that circulates ice water thur a thin bladder. I had a three hour car ride home and did not have any problems. Keep in mind that I had bilateral surgery.  When you are discharged you still have enough pain meds in your veins that having ice probalbly won't matter. I'd probably check the machine. Security may not know what it is and think it's a bomb. LOL If it is a concern, carry a big baggie and get the flight attendant to give you some ice.

Good Luck,

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R  6/25/08
mraycox@aol.com
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts