+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled and Afraid!  (Read 3693 times)

San Francisco Hippy

Scheduled and Afraid!
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »

I am a 45yr. homeschooling mother of three ages 9, 7 and 18mos. I have had increasing discomfort and was suggested by my yoga instructor during a hip opening workshop to seek out an x-ray to find out what's up... Well I have dysplasia, bone on bone and a hole and a cyst it looked yucky and I was stunned! I searched out an answer instead of a THR and found and read about the resurface and was referred to this group! Thank you for being here and letting me lurk and read and slowly take in all the info. about what I could experience and how to prepare for this surgery. I am scared about how I'm going to function afterward and all the things I'll need to have at home (luckily Pat to the rescue on a private email.) Now I'm just reading posts and getting more and more afraid... Can I do this? Will my quality of life be better, the same or worse? It seems like maybe it will be a struggle on the other side as much as it is now? Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it?" I am scheduled with Dr. Amstutz on 11/20 and now I'm scared about the procedure... I freaked myself out by reading too much! Now my head is telling me it can't be any worse than it is now maybe I should just manage and skip it? Ahhhhh! Dr. Amstutz said I have a possible bone disease that is the cause of the hole in my bone and he can graft from the shards of the removed bone. I believe I'm lucky to still be a candidate for this procedure but I just don't know if I am brave enough to recover and go through it all. Also, did anyone go through it with twilight only vs. general anesthesia? Along with the epidural of course. Thanks for being here my new community I'm not sure if I want to belong to! Love, Casey
I might not be much but I'm all I ever think about...

obxpelican

Re: Scheduled and Afraid!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
Casey,

I've seen countless posts about folks being afraid.  Don't be.  Many surface hippies have walked in your shoes and walked out of the hospital (on crutches) virtually pain free.  The last time I had joint pain is when I laid on the gurney 20 minutes before my surgery.

Bone grafting is nothing new, I had cysts and I had bone spurs too.  You would not be able to tell the difference between having a hip done that had cysts grafted or not, it's just one more thing your doctor will do while he's fixing your joint.

Sure, you're going to have some discomfort, but my pain was NEVER worse than my worst days walking around bone on bone.

Look at your surgery as a beginning, not something to dread.  If you have some rare problem the doctor in most cases can fix it, but problems are rare.

You have a good doctor, you're doing the right thing by getting that hip fixed.  Me, I am leaving in 2 weeks to go to the outer banks of NC to go striper fishing, something I could not have done the last 2 years.  I am 3 months post-op and pain free.

Feel free to ask the folks on here anything, you will find our group to be supportive and very nice people.  Nobody pushes one doctor over another, we do not have paid "patient advocates" on here, just people who want to help.

Chuck

I am a 45yr. homeschooling mother of three ages 9, 7 and 18mos. I have had increasing discomfort and was suggested by my yoga instructor during a hip opening workshop to seek out an x-ray to find out what's up... Well I have dysplasia, bone on bone and a hole and a cyst it looked yucky and I was stunned! I searched out an answer instead of a THR and found and read about the resurface and was referred to this group! Thank you for being here and letting me lurk and read and slowly take in all the info. about what I could experience and how to prepare for this surgery. I am scared about how I'm going to function afterward and all the things I'll need to have at home (luckily Pat to the rescue on a private email.) Now I'm just reading posts and getting more and more afraid... Can I do this? Will my quality of life be better, the same or worse? It seems like maybe it will be a struggle on the other side as much as it is now? Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it?" I am scheduled with Dr. Amstutz on 11/20 and now I'm scared about the procedure... I freaked myself out by reading too much! Now my head is telling me it can't be any worse than it is now maybe I should just manage and skip it? Ahhhhh! Dr. Amstutz said I have a possible bone disease that is the cause of the hole in my bone and he can graft from the shards of the removed bone. I believe I'm lucky to still be a candidate for this procedure but I just don't know if I am brave enough to recover and go through it all. Also, did anyone go through it with twilight only vs. general anesthesia? Along with the epidural of course. Thanks for being here my new community I'm not sure if I want to belong to! Love, Casey
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

bothdone

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:09:10 PM »
Hi Casey

I've had BHRs on both hips - left 2004, right 2008.    In the last weeks before both ops I was hobbling a quarter of a mile for my morning paper, having to take breathers as pain washed over me.   I was on anti-inflammatories to help me sleep.

Since both ops I've had discomfort at times, largely when I've over-done things (like a fast 20 miles on an exercise bike), but nothing approaching what I was experiencing before the ops.   6 months after the second op I was striding round a hilly six mile walk.   What a feeling!   (aided by a varied selection of music on my mp3).

I can't tell you what will happen with you.    Your surgeon is the person in the know who has all your notes.

As some-one with no regrets about having BHRs, I send you my very best wishes that you make the decision best for you and that you have a superb outcome.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

windsurfhippy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:51:05 PM »
Casey,
I to got nervous the more I read. I even went on you tube and watched one of the operations. I thought, man I can tough this pain out. Well 7 years of OA in my right hip was enough. My procedure was done by Dr. Stephan Raterman in Tampa FL. Today, I am 15 days post op and..
I just walked a mile with my little girl.
Rode my bicycle.
Bent over and tied my shoes normally for the first time in 5 years.
Have no hip pain.
You will have muscle pain as you retrain yourself to walk correctly. Get as much physical therapy as you can. I believe that has helped me tremendously. So far, this procedure is fantastic and I recommend it anyone. Good luck to you.
Jerry
RBHR 10/21/08 Dr. Raterman

JeanM

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 10:03:24 PM »
Hi Casey,
I completely understand what you're going through.  I was a nervous wreck before my surgery and I considered canceling it several times.  I had never been through a surgery and had never been in the hospital before.  I was so worried about something going wrong and ending up worse off than I already was.  Well, it's been two months now and I have no regrets.  Compared to what I was expecting, my surgery and recovery were a breeze.  I'll reserve final judgment on the success of this procedure until I reach the 6 month mark and finally my year anniversary.  But, so far so good!!!  I'm feeling great!  I have no more joint pain.  I've only had some minor muscular aches and pains throughout the recovery process as healing takes place.  Every week gets better and better.

As with any surgery, there certainly are risks.  But this surgery has a very high success rate with a low incidence of serious complications.  Also, you've chosen a very well respected and experienced surgeon.  So, keep all of that in mind and summon the courage to move forward.

There are many people on this forum who are willing and prepared to offer you plenty of support and kindness.

Good Luck!  
Jeanie
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

San Francisco Hippy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:30:38 AM »
Thank you so much to all who have posted!  I am drinking up your email like mother's milk and it feels really good to know I'm not alone!  I have read more this morning and talked to the doctor's PA and feel better and confident about my ability to go through this procedure and come out the other side grateful and better off!  Now I need to know if anybody can give me suggestions about what to bring to the hospital down to the undies and shoes, etc.  I have no idea what I will and won't need and whether I can safely leave my ipod or bring my cell phone??  Ahhhh, I need help packing!  Thanks again for my welcome!  Casey
I might not be much but I'm all I ever think about...

bothdone

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 04:14:06 AM »
What to take in with you.... earplugs.     I found as I was lying there trying to get some sleep they cut out enough of the hospital noise to help me drift off.
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »
Casey,

I do not know what hospital you'll be in, I was in a smaller hospital outside of Columbia, SC... once I was done with my operation I had my wife bring my laptop, cell phone and wallet.  I never worried about the items as I was always in my room.  Depends on your hospital what you will be able to take in with you.

It sounds like your are more at ease, everyone gets nervous before an operation, but you will turn out fine.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

embcrna05

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
HI,
I am fairly new here, and am here because my husband needs a hip resurfacing.  He is scheduled Dec 22.  We just saw the dr last week in NY-Dr. Su.  We were understandably nervous, but got to speak with 3 other people in the waiting room who had the procedure done.  It put us so much at ease.  It was very reassuring.  I am a nurse anesthetist and can say a spinal or epidural would likely be the way to go.  Of course, you should follow your surgeon's recommendations for anesthesia, but if he allows either regional or general, I feel you will be way more happy with regional.  You are clear headed after surgery, and the pain from the surgery is gradual when it starts, versus feeling all the pain right after awakening with general.  During the procedure, you will receive IV sedation (twilight) to make it so you don't really know what is going on during the case.
Best of luck to you...

Donna

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
Hi Casey.  I just had both hips resurfaced (Sept. 8th--HSS Dr. Su in NY) and is doing incredibly well!  I walked over a mile with my kids on Halloween.  It's amazing.   I was born with slight hip dysplasia and just completely wore out both my hips...at 48.  I was very scared and so apprehensive this summer but I could not take the pain and walked with a horrible limp.  I know everyone is different but it truly was not as bad as I thought it would be.  I have no pain at all!  I feel the worst of it was the 'before' time of worrying about everything, the kids, the family, what if something goes wrong, the unknown, etc.  (ALL NORMAL)  Hang in there.  Your life will totally change once you get it done. Good luck!
Donna I.

nwugrad

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
embcrna,

Happy to hear all went well with your surgery?  I take it you were pleased with Dr. Su and with the HSS.  I am scheduled for bi lat with Dr  Su on 11/21.  Did you get a spinal plus twilight?  How long were you in HSS?  Did you go home afterwards or to a rehab facility?  I am getting the pre op jitters.   Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

stevel

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
Nwugrad,

I had LBHR, Dr. Su on 9/29/08.  They used spinal/epidural.  I stayed 4 days in the hospital.  I stayed 3 days in the hotel afterwards and saw Dr. Su for 1 week post-op, before returning home.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

decooney

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »
Casey,

Today is 3 weeks for me since I had my hip replacement procedure.  I am absolutely glad I did it and have a few things to pass along.  My head is out of the clouds enough to share my .02 cents along with others.  Not an expert by any means but I can pass along first hand how it recently worked for me too. 

Today, I'm actually walking with a cane, just picked it up an hour ago.  I went straight from a walker, bypassed crutches, and directly to a cane.  After some setbacks in the first two weeks, things are really picking up here on week three. 

I have hip dysplasia in both hips, and 43 years of age. My left hip was fairly damaged as a result of torn cartlidge (laberal tear) with a cyst.  For the most part, I was very active in my younger years, rode motocross on a lot of left hand tracks... as I'm figuring out now.  Also, later years on bicycles probably did not help.  The older I got, the worse it got and the more pain it became... I kept thinking i was just getting older and my back was failing me... Turns out it was my left hip causing all the problems, not my back.  The nerves were getting hammered due to alignment problems.  My hip would just kind of sting and ache and come in and out of pain depending on what I had been doing the prior day.  Just getting my back yard mowed and edged became a major challenge for me. 45 minutes of yardwork would then translate to 3-4 days of pain, laying on my back after work each day, just to get my back to relax and stop going into muscle spasms.  Just got to that point... logic took over and told my analytical mind to just stop and go get it done!   

If you are in pain in your hip, and in pain in your lower back, and feeling more discomfort than quality of life at this point, what I can tell you is that you probably did not schedule it soon enough.  I'm now seeing that I waited too long to do this, and studied it too much.   Just figure the first week or so you will be a tad sore, but following directions day by day, within three weeks (or maybe sooner for you) after surgery you will start to see that it's all worth it. 

My pain in my lower back is almost absolutely GONE. I can't believe it. 

My hip/socket area is still a bit sore, but I can tell that most if not all of the arthiritis is GONE.  Now I just go into slower rehap and recovery day by day, step by step.

Just still a little sore with streched tendons and all.  My surgery was difficult and bit unique with some post-op complications due to allergies to meds.

If your procedure goes as they normally do, what I can tell you is what others passed along to me, and it's true.

You'll be fine.  You'll be glad you did it.  Just give yourself the first few weeks of recovery time and watch what happens, day by day it will all come clear.  Good Luck, and congratulations on making the decision to schedule your approintment to get this done.   I too, along with others here...can now confirm that it's worth it and you are on the right path. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:50:44 PM by decooney »

montanahippy

• 9 days post-op
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »
Keep the positive thoughts and get your leg muscles in as good a shape as you can before your surgery. Stronger in is stronger out.

All of us recover at different rates and there is no predicting how yours will be. However, it is an absolute certainty that every week afterward you will feel better instead of worse, like now. Life will spiral upward.

The day will come when you realize you never thought about your hip. It's a miracle.

percy hipkiss

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »
I'm not yet 'scheduled' but I'm on the list...not so much 'afraid' as wondering am I doing the right thing.

I have never been off work due to arthritis...work  as a truck driver...manage to climb in and out of cab and onto trailer okay - I take my time.
I have pain - sometimes acute...always stiffness after sitting for a while and aching bum when I lie down - this is getting to be the most troublesome symptom.

Today though I ran (jogged) for about fifty yards...I walk with  a bit of a limp...I'm wondering if I've become so stoical and resigned over the last few years that I'm adjusted to the difficulty now. Of course it's not going to get any better on its own.  I just wonder if over six months recuperating is justified given the way I can live my life now.

I suppose it IS starting to dominate my thoughts - as I'm in here talking about it. I'm 57 years old and do tend to grimace a lot. :-\

wayne-0

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
Hey Casey,
I just went thru my surgery on Nov 7th and couldn't be happier. I am only 8 days post op and I feel none of that pain I had prior to surgery. I am sore but it feels like a big charlie horse that keeps getting smaller. The first few days my energy level was very low but every day that goes by my energy is coming back so much. I feel very strong right now :).By the way I had both done on the same day and the Dr. you are using is the one that trained the Dr. that did my surgery.I believe you are in very good hands with Dr. Amstud.Good luck and go for it.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

fenceman

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »
Hi Casey,

After home schooling 3 kids this will be a piece of cake.  :)  I am 3 months out and very happy I did it.  I was able to do yoga on a cruise last week with no pain.  My first week was tough because the pain meds did not agree with me but the actual operation and recovery was not bad.  I had a spinal (do epidural if you get the option) and was in twilight during the operation.  I have 3 kids and they were a great help during recovery.  You will do fine and look forward to being pain free.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

takilasunrise

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »
It will be one year for me this coming January!  I don't know how many times I've been walking, like at work or at a museum or shopping and I think to myself, I don't have pain anymore in my hip, and I'm amazed and grateful!  I'll be honest, the first couple of days in the hospital I did think to myself what the heck did I do this for?  Then after I got home, the first week I still wondered why I did it, but more so because of the help I needed from my family and doing those simple things we take for granted, like going to the bathroom and taking a shower and getting dressed was a challenge.  4 weeks of PT was not my favorite, either.  But, once you get past that first month or maybe two, and you can see the healing progress and you can do more and more each day, you''ll be glad you did it!  I had my surgery in January.  By the end of May, I was able to go on a 2,500 mile motorcycle trip with my husband!  I was a few months shy of my 45th birthday when I had mine...........and after all the pain I endured prior, it was all worth it!  Good luck!  And here's to a speedy recovery!

decooney

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:01:04 AM »
Update; at 4-weeks post op, I can honestly say I'm not having the same arthritic pain in my hip joint/socket any more like I did before the surgery.  Even with some complications I experienced, I feel more confident and my hip is not giving me that disjointed or clunking feeling like I use to have.  So far so good, and now really starting to see the benefits of the decision.   

Saw my 4-week post op XRAY yesterday and thought I would feel funny about it, as if I gave up something or had something foreign in me.  Not at all... it was actually a big relief to see my socket and femor deep seated and in the correct positon as it is suppose to be, now being able to tell myself this was most certainly the right thing to do and I don't have to think about constant joint pain every 10 seconds any more!  Just passing it along as I go through recovery.

obxpelican

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 07:27:29 AM »
I never felt bad about giving up my old joint, I wish all my joints felt like my operated hip now. 

I played just about every contact sport in high school so all my joints feel sore everyday except that is except my right hip.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well, it only gets better.  It's funny how we often forget about the pain we used to have, for instance I stood for a long while in a store last night and I kept thinking something was different, what was different was NO PAIN.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat