+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knock Knock  (Read 2553 times)

B.I.L.L.

Knock Knock
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
Hey you guys, I'm curious how long you guys (and gals) had that knocking/slipping feeling.  I seem to have pain right on the outside of my hip and it "knocks" with almost every step.  I started riding the stationary bike this week but it was doing it before that.  I'll be 9 weeks out on monday. Is that what most of you experienced ?  Some days are better than others.  Just wondering how long I should expect it to go on, Thanks, Bill.

John C

Re: Knock Knock
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »
I have heard that this gradually decreases with time. My own experience was that I had major "clunking" deep in the joint over the first few weeks. The next few weeks had a more irregular "clicking" on the outside of the joint when I walked, associated with pain on the outside. Over the next few months I experienced an occasional minor "slip/click" when I turned certain ways. Now, at five months, I will sometimes have a very subtle clicking when I first start walking, but it always goes away after awhile.
I had a LOT of trouble with the pain you describe on the outside, often with the click feeling, over the first six weeks. It pretty much went away in the six to nine week period, but will sometimes come back to a minor degree if I push it too hard.
Based on my experience so far, I am sure that we can both look forward to continued improvement.
John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

stevel

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »
Bill,

I'm nearly 8 weeks post-op, LBHR Dr. Su, and I have had no clunking, knocking or squeaking.  The implant feels so normal, I can't tell the difference between the feeling for my right hip.  I've read elsewhere that the "breaking in" period can extend for two years.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

fenceman

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
At 13 weeks I still have some clicking, not clunking any more.  I used an elliptical trainer for the first time 2 days in a row this week and had a lot of clicking.  Also feeling that pain on the outside of the hip today. Probably over did it.

Mine will click a lot if I am sitting in a certain position and bounce my leg (nervous habit).  It doesn't hurt but it does feel weird.

I am feeling a little down today because we got 8" of snow and I am not allowed to ski this season.  :(
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 03:39:17 AM »
At 13 weeks I still have some clicking, not clunking any more.  I used an elliptical trainer for the first time 2 days in a row this week and had a lot of clicking.  Also feeling that pain on the outside of the hip today. Probably over did it.

Mine will click a lot if I am sitting in a certain position and bounce my leg (nervous habit).  It doesn't hurt but it does feel weird.

I am feeling a little down today because we got 8" of snow and I am not allowed to ski this season.  :(
Bill

Thanks for the replys you guys.  The pain on the outside of the hip seems to come on strong when overdoing it, my problem is knowing when you are overdoing it, it's seems to be a fine line between what you can get away with and what bites you for 4 or 5 days.   And yes the "knocking" is the most un-pleasant part of the healing for me. The pain is just pain but that knocking and clicking drives me nuts, I start wondering if everything is right and probably over thinking it.  It sounds like it will slowly go away and eventually just be an occasional reminder when trying to do to much.  It's reassuring to hear that all this is probably normal, thanks for sharing it makes it easier.
Hey Fenceman,  I know what you mean about not getting to play this year. I live in San Clemente and am a surfer, the surf conditions have been absolutley perfect almost everyday since I had the surgery ::) ::) Oh Well Ha Ha no biggie...Just think about charging it pain free next season 8)  Good Luck to you all, B.I.L.L. out !! 

stevel

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:29:40 PM »
Bill,

Have you had a recent post-op x-ray to verify that the implant is in proper position and hasn't slipped (cap or socket)?  I had a 4 week post-op x-ray and the implant was postitioned great!  It even looked great to my eye and I am not a Dr.
Steve
Age 70

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:01 PM »
Bill,

I agree with Steve.... especially if the sounds are associated with pain.  An extra x-ray or 2 is not going to hurt.

If you're having just incision pain or muscle/tendon pain you're going to have that.  On some days I get sore if I overdo it.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:13:50 AM »
The 6 week x-ray looked good. It was a little better today, I have backed off a little on the exercises and walking.  I have been spending alot of time on my feet the last few days so I'm gonna back off (hopefully) and try to lie flat and rest several times a day and try to get off it a little bit.   I expect to have pain, but the loose, knocking,
feeling comes on strong some times, it feels like a trailer rattling around on the ball. The pt says to not do anything that hurts and do the exercises with less intensity for a few days and go from there, I'll keep you posted.   I'm pretty sure if the either one of the componets slipped or moved I would be in much more pain.....  Right ?? I mean if either the ball or socket came loose I'm sure you would be at a 3 or 4 on the pain scale 24/7 wouldn't ya ?  I'm pain free if I lie down and get comfortable, I don't think I could do that if something was loose, right ?

stevel

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 02:20:21 AM »
Bill,

Your implant should be secure or you would have more serious pain if it was loose (according to what I have read).  Dr. DeSmet's website describes squeaking and clunking in FAQ's # 53 & 54.  According to Dr. DeSmet, the clunking should be painless and usually resolves by 6 months.  If the clunking is associated with pain and continues after 6 months, it could be caused by an improperly positioned implant and needs to be diagnosed by your Dr..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:26:14 AM by stevel »
Steve
Age 70

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »
Bill,

Your implant should be secure or you would have more serious pain if it was loose (according to what I have read).  Dr. DeSmet's website describes squeaking and clunking in FAQ's # 53 & 54.  According to Dr. DeSmet, the clunking should be painless and usually resolves by 6 months.  If the clunking is associated with pain and continues after 6 months, it could be caused by an improperly positioned implant and needs to be diagnosed by your Dr..

Well I hope if the x-ray showed any sign of anything being improperly placed he would have said something at the 6 week mark.  I am at 9 weeks out so I have a long way to go to hit the 6 month mark, I will just have to wait and see how it progresses over the next few weeks, hopefully I can get it to "Tighten up"  If I wait 6 months and then find out that something was placed wrong, someones gonna get punched, know what I mean ?  If there was any doubt about the placement I would hope they would address that issue as soon as it is discovered.
According to the Dr. everything looked great at 6 weeks, I don't think it could move after that without a severe amount of pain.  At least I know other people have the same issues and they eventually went away.  If Dr. DeSmet says it happens for up to 6 months I guess I still have awhile to wait and see, but could you imagine getting to the 6 month mark and then finding out something was done wrong and you need a revision,  and then back to square one ?   Oooohhh I don't even want to think about it......

stevel

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »
Bill,

Hopefully your clunking will resolve soon.  I suppose you could send (via email) the x-rays of the new implant to an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon such as Dr. DeSmet for an interpretation of the placement.
Steve
Age 70

wayne-0

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
Hey Bill,
I remember reading about how the muscels take some time to regrow and sort of attach themselves around the implant thus holding it in place.Before that happens the implant is sorta just all by itself so hang in there bro you'll be fine. I have also read some people have that feeling a year after surgery although the frequency of that happening becomes less. We are both on the recovery road which has its detours but hang in there and in 3 or 4 more months surfing will be part of our lives again ;D.

Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

annie

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this site.  Have had some advice from Pat which was really good.

I am 43 and from Scotland, had left BHR 22/10/08 (4.5 weeks) due to slipped ephipysis pain and movement been a problem since 21 so greatful to the already increased range of movement and no arthritic pain.

I like B.I.L.L. get pain when I have done too much.  We had snow this week-end and I really wanted to watch my nieces and nephew sledging which was great at the time but I am suffering with stiffness and tiredness as a result of trudging through the snow today.

I have experienced so far, swelling, a wee bit of clicking (but nothing like the bad hip which was replaced), groin pain, pain on the outside beside the scar and tightness due probably to muscle activity.  Cannot wait until the 6 week restrictions are lifted and I am able to return to work.

Great site, great to hear everyone's experiences as it really helps knowing that I am not alone with the feelings I am experiencing at present.

All for now... Annie the frozen Scottie.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 04:26:51 PM by annie »

Barbara

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 11:37:28 PM »
I am 6 weeks post op and so far have not had much of that knocking slipping feeling. Hope things improve for you soon Bill.

Annie I come from Scotland but live in Sunny Seattle. We have had mostly sunny, dry weather and mild temperatures since my surgery but I know what you are experiencing. Good luck with the snow and ice etc. I spoke to my family yesterday and as always the weather was discussed at great length.. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Keep warm
Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal