+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing for Women  (Read 2535 times)

SUZY

Resurfacing for Women
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »
HELLO,   Sorry, but I am not familiar with using  a chat room or blog.  I need to have hip surgery, and would like to have a BHR instead of THR.  I have received information both for and against the BHR, from doctors, nurses, and other.   What I keep hearing is that there is declining statistics for women with a BHR.   Therefore, my question is "What are these declining stats?"

Also, please direct me on how to use this site properly.

Thank you,

SUZY
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:56:50 PM by Pat Walter »

obxpelican

Hip Resurfacing for Women
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
Suzy,

The elevated failure rates for women are because of the sized of your bone stock and sometimes because of poor bone density.

The rate of failure is higher, but it's something like 1% men and like (don't quote) 5 or 6% women, yes it's higher but the plus with doing a HRS overrides the worry about the higher rates of failure.  Look at it this way if it's 6% that means 6 out of every 100 tend to fail, with men it's 1 out of every hundred on average.

With hip resurfacing you end up with your femoral head being preserved so that you can still get a THR down the road.  With a HRS you have very few limitations, a natural feeling joint and very little chance of dislocation. 

Once you get a THR, that's it, you've lost that bone.  Many doctors talk HRS down because either they are not trained in the surgery or they have the old stats from early HRS.  Todays hip resurfacing surgeries are light years ahead of what was done in the past.

Read the stories on this site, you'll be amazed how very live changing the surgery is.

Chuck
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:31:10 PM by Pat Walter »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Resurfacing for Women
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »
Hi Suzy

I gave you your town topic so people could read your concerns.

There is declining stats for women happening, what you are reading is from the results of the Australian National Registry.  Here is a summary

http://www.surfacehippy.info/aoanationalreg08.php

The full registry here   http://www.surfacehippy.info/pdf/NJRRAnnRep08.pdf

Basically the registry reports that smaller women under 55 and actually smaller men under 55 have more revisions that larger men and women.  It is not a really large number and what it really comes down to is - you need to ask your surgeon if you are a candidate no matter your age.  Being a good candidate is based on your bone stock, your femur neck size and some other considerations.

I wrote an article to explain more about it here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/perfecthrcandidate.php

People have to remember that no one fits the perfect profile.  You must have x-rays and an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon decide if you are a candidate.  I know of men in the 80's being done and women in their late 60's being done.  I was 61 when I had my resurfacing.  So it is a very individual thing. 

Don't let the bad press and stats scare you.   Visit an experienced surgeon and find out if you are a candidate.  I will tell you that many of the less experineced hip resurfacing surgeons would often prefer to just give you a THR because it is easier and they don't want to take chances.  They do not have the exprience that the really experienced surgeons that have done many hundreds or thousands have done.  So they are very conservative.

I would even want my other hip resurfacing at 64 if I needed it.  It would depend on my bone stock and my x-rays.  I would not be discouraged by bad press and articles, I know it is an individual consideration.

I hope that helps.  Pick a really experienced hip resurfacing surgeon from my list and ask their opinion.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php  If you don't like the answer they give you, seek another opinion.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

obxpelican

Re: Hip Resurfacing for Women
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:27:40 PM »
Suzy,

The elevated failure rates for women are because of the size of your bone stock and sometimes because of poor bone density.

The rate of failure is higher, but it's something like 1% men and like (don't quote) 5 or 6% women, yes it's higher but the plus with doing a HRS overrides the worry about the higher rates of failure.  Look at it this way if it's 6% that means 6 out of every 100 tend to fail, with men it's 1 out of every hundred on average.

With hip resurfacing you end up with your femoral head being preserved so that you can still get a THR down the road.  With a HRS you have very few limitations, a natural feeling joint and very little chance of dislocation. 

Once you get a THR, that's it, you've lost that bone.  Many doctors talk HRS down because either they are not trained in the surgery or they have the old stats from early HRS.  Todays hip resurfacing surgeries are light years ahead of what was done in the past.

Read the stories on this site, you'll be amazed how very live changing the surgery is.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

cindy26

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
That is one reason that my dr will not do my resurfacing the other is that I have slipped capital femoral epiphysis with a deformed neck.  In his notes it stated will not attempt to do a HR because of the issues with women and a deformed head secondary to SCFE.  I have to have a THR in jan.  Alot of women get resurfaced though.  I think its more because of my other condition and on top of things I am a woman which adds more difficult.

Cindy

stevel

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:52:32 PM »
Did you contact pfagundes or paula as she also had a condition similar to yours?  Did she end up with a THR?  May I call you "The Penguin" at least until January when you have your surgery? 
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

cindy26

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
I tried I contacted Vicky but she never did give me Paula's info.  I E-mailed Vicky several times.  She just e-mails me back but not with the info I need about Paula.  I appreciate that Steve.  I am going Dec 17th for a 3rd opinion with a dr that specializes in lower extermity replacements and resurfacing.  He already has all of my info from the other 2 drs so I guess I'll just wait and see.  Thanks.

Cindy

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat