+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: LHR - U/C Biomet, Dr. Gross - Dec 4th  (Read 2543 times)

John from Thornhill

LHR - U/C Biomet, Dr. Gross - Dec 4th
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:33:35 PM »
Happy to be on the other side of the resurfacing surgery. Experience with Dr. Gross was excellent, small hospital catered to hip patients, food was, well hospital food, but not too bad.

Tips to those that follow:

1) Stay at the Residence Inn, better than the Marriott.  We stayed at M Courtyard before and during (my wife) and we moved into the Residence Inn on discharge.

2) If possible, stay a few days post discharge. I am glad I did not have to do anything
yesterday than do my walks, exercises and watch movies. We live in Toronto and the prospect of going back to the ice and snow just was not appealing (actually still isn't)

3) Order a lazy boy through Eric at the front desk. $36 for min 2-week rental well worth it, even if we are only here 3-4 days. Makes it much easier to sleep and get up and down.
Actually slept well last night.

4) Take the meds they offer...and take them for a few days post op. KarenZ warned me not to skip meds day 2 and I took her advice thankfully. If you get too painful it hurts your progress and puts you behind the curve. Plenty of time to get off the meds later.

5) Bring sweat pants with snaps on each leg seam. These make it easier to dress and to apply the ice machine.

6) Go slow, Dr. Gross tells you, the therapists tell you, so do it. I know we all feel like we are the exceptions to the rule, but the reality is we probably are not.....so take it easy and in the long run, we probably all end up at the same place.

I was up in the air on the cemented/uncemented decision until I met with Dr. G in his office. He is just so logical, detailed and convinced that uncemented in better that I was happy to go that way.

I am sure I will have my setbacks and look forward to asking those ahead of me, for advice.

John

obxpelican

Re: LHR - U/C Biomet, Dr. Gross - Dec 4th
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »
John,

Good luck with that uncemented hip, let us know if anything falls out, save the parts though  ;)

I think you were being kind of the hospital food, I thought it was tasteless, however, the care that is given by the staff at that hospital is worth having to eat McDonalds every meal.  They were very attentive to my needs, even if I just wanted a coke they were there within a few minutes.

Keep us up to date on your rehab, as you know we have a large group of really nice Gross hippies (that sounds bad huh?) on this forum.  Gross hippies, I must remember to change that.

Chuck

Happy to be on the other side of the resurfacing surgery. Experience with Dr. Gross was excellent, small hospital catered to hip patients, food was, well hospital food, but not too bad.

Tips to those that follow:

1) Stay at the Residence Inn, better than the Marriott.  We stayed at M Courtyard before and during (my wife) and we moved into the Residence Inn on discharge.

2) If possible, stay a few days post discharge. I am glad I did not have to do anything
yesterday than do my walks, exercises and watch movies. We live in Toronto and the prospect of going back to the ice and snow just was not appealing (actually still isn't)

3) Order a lazy boy through Eric at the front desk. $36 for min 2-week rental well worth it, even if we are only here 3-4 days. Makes it much easier to sleep and get up and down.
Actually slept well last night.

4) Take the meds they offer...and take them for a few days post op. KarenZ warned me not to skip meds day 2 and I took her advice thankfully. If you get too painful it hurts your progress and puts you behind the curve. Plenty of time to get off the meds later.

5) Bring sweat pants with snaps on each leg seam. These make it easier to dress and to apply the ice machine.

6) Go slow, Dr. Gross tells you, the therapists tell you, so do it. I know we all feel like we are the exceptions to the rule, but the reality is we probably are not.....so take it easy and in the long run, we probably all end up at the same place.

I was up in the air on the cemented/uncemented decision until I met with Dr. G in his office. He is just so logical, detailed and convinced that uncemented in better that I was happy to go that way.

I am sure I will have my setbacks and look forward to asking those ahead of me, for advice.

John
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Bionic

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
Congratulations, John, and thank you for the pointers.  I am scheduled with Dr. Gross in March, and I'll be sure to check out the Residence Inn.

I also need to decide between cemented and uncemented.  Was there any piece of information that swayed you in favor of uncemented, or was it more a matter of being impressed with Dr. Gross and willing to defer to his good judgment?

John from Thornhill

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »
I guess I was mostly impressed my Dr. G, however he makes good points:

1) Total hip replacement does not use cement
2) Even cemented only uses cement on the femer side
3) actually seeing the hardware in itself is convincing
4) he has done over 400 u/c with no difference in outcomes.....
5) if bone growth is good, it could last for life
6) there is always excess cement, and where does that go?
one less foreign substance in your body

Hope this helps,

John

John from Thornhill

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »
Nice, Gross hippies, I like that

Bionic

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »
All good reasons, John.  Thanks for replying.

KarenZ

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
Hi John,
I loved reading your points of advice.  Somehow I missed Dr Gross' lecture on going slow.  I am fairly certain that was due to my selective hearing!  It sounds like you are doing great as result of heeding his advice.  I, on the other hand, had a pretty uneventful day yesterday as I recovered from the effects of over doing it a bit. 
Today was a better day, I went out and got my hair done.  That will be about it for the day though.  I am beginning to understand that this first week post op is really just about resting and getting strength back.  Once I drink coffee, eat, shower, dress, do my Dr Gross exercises, and walk a little bit I feel pretty accomplished for the day. I am testing the waters with using just one crutch for the short stuff around the house though.
It was fun to get to come across the hall and visit with you & Ellen while in the hospital. Be sure to let Joe & I know when you are headed to Arizona.  We would love connect with you while you are here.
Keep us posted on your progress!
Karen
Karen
R / Biomet UC / Dr Gross / 12-3-08

John from Thornhill

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »
Hey Karen,

Glad you are having a better day today.

Noticed improvement today in the exercises and the strength, seem much stronger on my feet. Have you able to sleep with the ice machine on?  I go to sleep with it and then take it off after 3-4 hours.

Still have a lot of swelling around the wound, and the upper leg. Seems to swell when I am on my feet for a while, but a good 30-40 min on the ice machine seems to help.

Trying not to eat too much as I am not used to so little physical activity during the day, although the body does need the nutrition to heal.

Ellen and I will definitely get in touch with you and Joe if/when we come to Scottsdale in the next few months. It will be fun to compare notes on our recoveries.

John

hmcraig

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I am going next week for my procedure.  The Rental Center no longer offers the chair unless it is a 30 day minimum for $89.
Marshall
Marshall Craig

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat