+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I need your support  (Read 1815 times)

Leonardo

I need your support
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:15:07 AM »
Hi,

My name is Leonardo and I did Resurfacing on my left hip on 4/12/08 by the doctor Steven Velkes in Israel.
First I would like to thank Pat for the great Website that helped me a lot  :) !!!

I’m 36 years old and the reason was a severe Arthritis that eats all my cartilage.
I looked for the different choices and understood that THR is not a good idea at my age.
For the last 6 month I have been with a terrible pain when walking and standing.
Right now I’m one week post op and feeling better every day.

On the other hand my feelings are confusing.
I’m a positive person, but right now I don’t feel so good and I’m all the time thinking about what will happen now. I’m so young !!!
I’m counting years…… and if I will need an additional operation I could find myself with no more options……
Although the head of the femur was not so strong the doctor told me that it was good enough for the operation, I wonder how can I do to preserve it strong? Please your recommendations.
In addition, when I look at the X-ray I see that the 54mm capsule took lot of space in the acetabular bone and I’m worry about future operations and the lack of space there.
I’m sorry if I don’t sound so optimistic but this are my feelings right now and I’ll be glad to get some support here.

Many thanks,

Leonardo.

Elaine Y.

Re: I need your support
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 06:24:59 AM »
Hi Leonardo,

I am not an MD, but a very good reason why you are not your positive self is the effects of the anesthesia and that your body has just undergone a major surgery. Give yourself time on that one, but you will see in a few days to weeks, you will be back to your chipper self :D

Also, again I am not an MD, but please realize that your femur head is bone and bone does grow back. Right now it is sitting in a nice little capsule, kind of like getting your tooth capped. They grind your tooth down and then put a cap on it. The wonderful thing about bone is that it does grow back. So, unless I am totally off base here, I believe that your femur head will grow bone to fill the cap, the neck will grow bone around the stem. This should make you very strong. Weight bearing exercises, walking, will speed bone growth. Of course calcium is good too, but do not take more than 500 mg at one time, as the rest is wasted as your body can only absorb and use 500 mg at a time. Also be sure to take calcium supplements that is with vitamin D, then the calcium works at its best. I'm not sure about the cartilage, but a lot has been written that Glucosamine  Chondroiten (spelling might be wrong) regenerates cartilage, but I don't think there are conclusive studies.

Here in the U.S. MD's are being very conservative about returning to activities. I was told to be very,very, very careful for the first 12 weeks so as not to break the femur neck. That is what I would warn for you. Also, I was told for the 1st year do not run or jump. Any due diligence to preserve the femur neck is what you need to do during this first year. That is your biggest risk, my friend, fracturing the femur neck.

At this point, Leonardo, my best advice... Don't worry about future operations. You have done a good thing getting your hip resurfaced. Focus on your recovery right now and everything else will just work itself out. Believe everyone on this site. We all have been where you are now. And, we've made it and are living pain-free and doing a lot of things we were not able to do before surgery.

What will happen now... you are so young... go enjoy yourself and your life cuz the pain is gone. Keep us posted, Elaine
Right BHR 1/22/08 Dr. Eugene Lopez

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 07:41:24 AM »
Hi Leonardo

Congratulations on your new hip.  Please be patient and know that you will be active again when you heal.

People often feel mentally down or a little depressed after major surgery.  Your hip resurfacing was definitely major surgery.  The anathesia and surgery cause many changes in your body.  Know that many people feel emotionally upset after they receive a new hip. 

The best reason you received a resurfacing was that it is bone conserving - so if you ever need another revision, you will be able to easily have a THR because you have a full femur bone left.  Also understand that if you ever needed a revision to a THR - that is not the last option.  Many people have 2 or 3 or more revisions of their THRs in some cases where they have problems.  The surgeons are becoming more and more skilled in their ability to revise even a THR.  The most important fact in getting revisions of THRs is to use the very best and most experienced surgeon you can find. 

Therefore - you have no reason to be so negative.  You have a great new hip now and if in the future, it needs a revision - you can have it converted to a MOM THR.  That can also be revised if required.

I also had a loss of bone density since I was a 61 year old woman when I had my resurfacing.  I have had several doctors tell me that weight bearing activities like walking will help increase bone density.  The best advice for stregthening your bones is walk, walk and walk.  You can also consider taking calcium, using bone buiding medicines like Acetonel or Fosamx, etc.  Talk with your Doctor and come up with a plan.  I also take calcium, Acetonel and walk.  That's the best I can do for myself.  You can do the same.

Be positive - you are going to be out of pain and active again.  Enjoy every minute of your new hip when you heal.  Don't forget your mental attitude is also very important. Know that you have made a great decision and still have many options if or when your resurfacing should wear out.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

KarenZ

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »
Hi Leonard,
I think I understand exactly what you are going through.   I am 9 days post op today and I have had some pretty intense episodes of irrational fear since my surgery.  This is very out of character for me.  I am normally a very logical and optimistic person.  The best reason I can come up with is the anesthesia and general trauma of the surgery.  It has gotten better, today I feel pretty darn good.  I still have some muscle pain in my quad and IT area, but it gets better every day.  I just worked my way down to one crutch today, so that gives me hope.  I think it is the little things that mark our progress that help.  Tomorrow I will be done with those Arixtra shots!!!  Yippee!!!!
I got into the trap of comparing myself with other people's progress. I'd read about people having no pain and being able to use a cane after 4 days, etc and get freaked out that something was wrong with me.  What I am realizing, mostly because people on this site told me, is that you have to take it easy and allow your body to heal at it's own pace.  Focus on the good things that happen every day.  If you have a bad day, take a step back and recover.  The next day will be better.
That funky depression will lift soon.  It took about 6 or 7 days for me.
I am glad you are posting your experience.  When we only see positive posts it makes us wonder what is the matter with us if we are not happy, joyous, and pain-free.  I think the first week just sucked!  It gets much better though - hang in there!
Karen
Karen
R / Biomet UC / Dr Gross / 12-3-08

Leonardo

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:41:09 AM »
Hi all,

I have no words to express my thanks to you!
I read all your answers and this make me feel better.
Sometimes I'm confuse since on one hand I want to walk to me the hip and neck strong, but on the other hand I'm steping very carefully....
Also, my doctor days that I can drive a car in 3 weeks, but the the Physiotherapy guy thnik I need to wait more, what was your experience on this?

Many thanks,

Leonardo.

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »
Leonard,

I too felt very down the week after surgery but by 2-3 weeks I felt much more positive.  You will feel better.

I drove 1 week after surgery (I wasn't suppose to) and did OK.  The hardest part is getting in and out of the car.  I also had a BHR on my non-driving leg.  I am not sure I would recommend it.  At 3 weeks it was no problem.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Tarhoo2

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »
Leonardo,

Yes, you are young to be going through this.  But that is also a plus, because you should recover more rapidly and more completely.  Barring circumstances you haven't mentioned, there is no reason not to be completely optimistic about the prospects for your recovery.  I am 48 and have had BHR's on both hips in the last year.  My outlook is totally positive and yours should be too.  Whenever I'm out walking I am grateful for what my doctors have done for me ... just to walk without pain, not to mention the fact that I'm playing golf again (no pain, during or after) and look forward to running again in April.

Be positive.  Appreciate the small gains.  Don't get frustrated (good things take time) and believe in what you'll be able to achieve.

Hang in there and don't hesitate to reach out to any of us if you have questions, doubts, or just need encouragement.

Life is good.

Jim

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat