+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New and need wisdom  (Read 1834 times)

Soccerhip

New and need wisdom
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:52:54 PM »
Great site and thanks for allthe input from everyone.

Can someone answer some questions I have?
1) Say 10-15 years down the road and I have an issue,  is it possible to fix the BHR? Does one need to goto a THR or can the BHR be revised?
2) I have a desk job and can telecommute at least for awhile.  As I know everyone heals differently, would a decent benchmark be about a month out of the office?

First of many many questions
Thanks for reading
Chris 38 yo male

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: New and need wisdom
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
Hi Chris

Normally you can't fix a hip resurfacing with another resurfacing.  Generally it is converted to a THR.  Sometimes they can keep the acetabular cup and only use a new femur component.

15 years down the road is a long time.  Who know 15 years from now what might be possible.  We can hope they will find new ways to restore our old hip resurfaced hips.

Everyone does heal at a different rate.  It is difficult to say that you can return to work at one month.  Some people have returned sooner and others took much longer.  One problem is that it is still a bit difficult to sit for a long time even a month out.  It would probably depend on your job and how often you could get up.  Also on your energy level.

You can ask your doctor his/her opinion about when you can return to work.  That is always a good person to ask.

Thanks for posting.  You are very young to need a hip replacement and I am glad you learned about hip resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
Everyone heals at a different rate.  I was stupid and went back to the office 1 week later.  I lasted an hour the first day, 2 hours the second day, and did not go in the third.  By 2 weeks I was able to due full days without a problem but I am able to walk a lot around the warehouse to exercise during the day.  At 1 month I felt pretty good and was using 1 crutch per my doctors orders. 

I did however start coaching soccer on my crutches 1-1/2 weeks after.  I did have a lot of help.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

PrairieGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
Hi, Chris,

I, too, am 38 years old. It's comforting to know I'm not the only thirty-something with a bum hip!

Got a left BHR in Kansas City on Nov. 26. Celebrated my 3-week anniversary on Wednesday and couldn't be better. I've been blessed with a speedy recovery! I'm very close to being back to presurgery condition, minus the arthritis pain. I'm no longer using crutches or cane and I'm only taking Tylenol occasionally for pain, mainly during my PT sessions or when I've been sitting too long.

I'm ready to go back to work, which is a graphic design & printing business I run from my home office. The rest of my time is spent chasing my 4 year-old daughter.

My quick recovery may be bit unusual rather than the norm, but I thought  you might like to hear what's possible for us young hippies.

I attribute my easy recuperation to the fact that I was in pretty good shape before the surgery. I was going to the gym 3 times a week (lifting weights and going 4 miles on the elliptical) to get ready.

PrairieGirl
PrairieGirl
Age 38
Left BHR, Nov. 26, 2008
Dr. Scott Cook, Shawnee Mission Medical Center, Shawnee Mission, KS

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

15 years down the road is a long time.  Who know 15 years from now what might be possible.  We can hope they will find new ways to restore our old hip resurfaced hips.

Here's hoping !   I'd certainly go along with that thought - who knows what developments are down the line.   Just to add a thought... does anyone know how long BHRs are lasting/have lasted/are expected to last ?     I was told 30 years was a possible life span of a BHR.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

Tarhoo2

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Chris,

Today is the one-year anniversary of my first BHR (second was done 4/4/08) and I am a very happy hippy!  I'm sure you do and will have many questions.  Rest assured that most of the people on this site are more than happy to share their experiences.

I am hoping that I don't need to even think about revisions until at least 15-20 years from now and I have every reason to believe it will be longer, if ever, before I have to worry about it.  The BHR procedure made sense to me because, as I'm sure you already know, it preserves more bone and is easier to revise if that becomes necessary.

Obviously, everyone recovers at a different rate, but in general, barring unusual circumstances, I think it's probably safe to assume that you will be able to return to work at 4-5 weeks.  I was teleworking and getting a fair amount of work done from home after about a week.

Gotta run now, but I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.

Jim

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat