+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Skin Infection  (Read 13030 times)

Jennifer

Skin Infection
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
I had an allergic reaction to my absorbable sutures which caused inflammation and pain at my incision site 10 days post-op.  Dr. Su said it is not common, but he cleaned debrided it and removed the offending sutures.  He also put me on oral antibiotics.  After just a few days, it is much improved and healing nicely. 
If you have any pain or discharge at your incision site, see your surgeon ASAP.
Jennifer

jackmac32

Re: Skin Infection
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
Hi Jen,
I had the same thing happen about 3 weeks after surgery.  There were a few stitches that didnt disolve and part of the incision became "angry".  His assistant laid me on a table and opened me up with no sedative or pain medication.  This procedure was actually MUCH worse than the surgery itself...although it only lasted about 10 minutes.   If anyone needs to have it done, make sure you pop a few vic's or have them numb the area 1st...or bring a nip of Irish Whiskey.   I think for the right hip I will request staples.
Jackmac
Dr Su LBHR
10/01/2009

Jennifer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
That's exactly what they did with me!  SO painful!!!  A few pain pills would've definitely helped!  Glad I'm not the only one who dealt with it.  How is your hip now at 3 months post-op?
Jenn

jackmac32

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 07:31:01 AM »
By 3 weeks I actually put the Vic's away for good, but after the "debridement" I broke them out for another week.  (I am not afraid to admit during the procedure, I actually let out one or two womanly screams.)  They put me on oral anti-biotics for 3 weeks and I had a nurse come to my house daily for 2 weeks to "Pack and re-Pack" the wound...that was a no picnic either.   Oh well, I am actually 4 months post-op and everything is great. The actual "Joint" feels amazing but the incision still gets tender and "itchy" and can hurt if I sit too long or over-do it.  When was your surgery?   How is everything else going with your hip?

Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:03:21 PM »
My surgery was 1/14/10, and the incision revision was 1/25.  It's still open, but not packed, and I see Dr. Su again on the 9th.  Hopefully I can get off the crutches by then!  I went off the pain meds after only a few days because I developed ileus from them, but the pain has been surprisingly tolerable!  My hip joint feels great, the incision and surrounding area are still pretty sore.  When were you off crutches?  And do you walk with a limp? (sorry so many questions, just curious!)

jackmac32

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:09:42 AM »
I was using a cane after about a week and was walking with nothing at the 18th day.  Everyone is different, but I am sure the good Dr. Su will give you some great insights!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »
Hi Jack and Jennifer

Glad to hear things are starting to heal for both of you.

I can't believe a doctor would work on an incision without numbing the area!  I could not have let them continue if it was that painful.  They should have given you a shot before they started.  I would have been very angry.

Maybe this will help warn others that if they have the same problem - be sure to make sure they numb that area first.

My incision itched for years.  Still itches at times and I am 4 years post op.  I have very sensitive skin.  I had the self melting sutures and had no problems with them.

If you are still limping, maybe you still need a cane or assistance.  Dr. De Smet, my surgeon, told me I could stop using any walking aid when I was no longer limping.  If you are still limping, then your muscles are not ready to take on the load themselves.  Walking with a limp is not good for the healing process.  You should talk to your surgeon about the limp and if you should still be using a cane.  You may also need to work with a PT about your gait to get it back to normal.  It takes some people a long time to get back to a normal gait and walk.

I am glad you both shared your stories.  I hope everything continues to go well for both of you.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
Hi Pat!  Yeah it was pretty weird that he didn't numb the area, but he said during the procedure that pain was "good", that it meant it was viable tissue.  Regardless, it was extremely painful, but now the incision is healing perfectly.  I still walk with a very big limp with no assistance, but I use the cane full-time for now.  My hip feels great!  I still have good days and bad days, but I feel I'm improving steadily.

Debbie

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
Luckily, Dr. Ball stitched up the inside "tight as a drum" with disolvable stitches.  For the outside he only glued it and used steri-strips for a few weeks for extra support until they fell off.  My scar looks very good (6/5/09).  It is hardly visible and nearly the same color as the rest of my skin.  I would definitely recommend this method to everyone for a nicer scar and less issues with stitch or staple infections.  It worked great for me!

NJDRE

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
I didn't realize this was an issue until now. I had my operation in August of 2011. Several days after the operation I noticed the same redness around the operation site. It soon spread all over my body. My surgeon was no help. I had to go to a dermatologist. He said it was an allergic reaction. I have never been allergic to anything in my life, not even poison ivy. He could not be positive as to the cause, it may have been the glue that was used to close the poeratio site or the Celebrex that was prescribed to me before and after the operation. Since then I have assumed that it was the Celebrex because that was the first and last time I took it, but after reading these posts, I'm, more inclined to believe it was the glue that got into my system. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Ken

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat