+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clearing metal ions from the system after revision surgery  (Read 23429 times)

Ernie

Re: Clearing metal ions from the system after revision surgery
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:31 PM »
when I had my hip resurfacing, I had to get up to pee every hour or so during the night for the first couple of weeks.
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »
I think the pain meds cause fluid retention.  As I said on this site and my blog I happen to weigh right after I got home from the hospital and the next morning.  I had lost 8 pounds (almost a gallon) of fluid overnight.  It took several days but I was pretty much back to normal about the time I quit taking the Oxycontin.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

JMS

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
Following on from earlier posts about clearing metal ions from the system after revision surgery, these are the results of the most recent metals test done ten months after the revision surgery.  I will post the whole series for comparison purposes.

Prior to surgery      6 weeks after        6 months after     10 months after
Cobalt             2265                          153                            38.2             36.7
Chromium       1219                          165                            98.3             64.2

Cobalt appears to be leveling off, and chromium is continuing to drop.           

JMS

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
Hi cwg
So sorry to hear that you have these additional worries.  No wonder you are feeling stressed.  Best of luck with the ultrasound next week, and let us know how you get on.
j.

Stingley Gulch

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »
I am most interested in post #14 by linnett. She mentioned symptoms of fatigue, lack of energy which is exactly what has happened to me. I have not visited surfacehippy for a long time now as I was one of the successful ones who had no pain and my resurfacing a success.  Or so I thought.  I had had a few symptoms of mild chronic fatigue before surgery. They were reoccurring under times of stress.  But I felt in great shape when I went to Belgium to have BHR implant in November 2005.  I had been training hard with my Pilates trainer who also had gone to Dr. de Smet and was really in the best shape of my life.  However,  within months of surgery the Chronic Fatigue returned and from that time  has been an ongoing problem.  I had to quit Pilates, quit much exercise at all.  I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction and had various treatments - anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal as the general consensus of thought is that this disease is caused by under - lying infections.  I have had no improvement.  I did have slight and occasional soreness around operated hip joint but so very mild.  I did  go to an excellent orthopedic surgeon at the famous Stedman Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado to get it checked along with other issues.  He told me that it was normal to feel some soreness around an implant.  The soft tissue doesn't like it as well as natural bone.  The x- rays looked fine and he said all was well with hip resurfacing. 

Finally this year after feeling sicker than ever and reading so much about metal toxicity with de Puy etc. I decided to have my cobalt and chromium tested.  I am confused by the differing numbers of the results I have read about.  Mine were done supposedly using the correct procedure and vials etc. and were sent to the Mayo Clinic Lab for testing.  The Chromium was  elevated at 1.0 ng/mL with a reference of<0.3.  My cobalt only slightly elevated at again 1.0 with a normal reference range of 0.0 - 0.9.

Does this number seem excessively high for chromium?  Has anyone else felt the symptoms of fatigue lack of energy, I also have coated tongue.  Could the chromium perhaps be at the root of
my illness?  Sorry to be so long winded.  I would really appreciate anyone's ideas or help with this matter.  I am considering going to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale for an evaluation.

p.s. I noticed I was taking an large amount of chromium in my special Energy Revitalization vitamin.  Have quit that immediately.  Have no idea if this can make an impact.  It say 167% of
daily requirement at 200 mcg!!!
p.s.s. I had my IGE serum tested and it showed normal meaning I have no allergic response.

cwg

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 12:46:38 AM »
Stingley, your levels are fine.. I'm pretty sure. Certainly lower than mine, and definitely  much lower than those here with the giant ones like JMS

Ease your mind and go for evaluations anywhere you are covered or can afford
Stress just adds nonsense to the body- go ease your mind

Report back

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz