+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal ions document, looking for help  (Read 21602 times)

Luanna

Re: Metal ions document, looking for help
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »
Agree with Hernanu on this. I was trained in grad school to write research reports for the expert audience and not for the general public. Seems like the more obtuse the article or report the more likely you'd be to get a good peer review and be published. Now days tho...I find that my writing needs to be consumable by experts and others as well. Internet journals maybe?  ;)  Here's an article by my surgeon that I found clear, concise, and well written.

James W. Pritchett MD - Metallosis of the Resurfaced Hip  - http://www.pritchettorthopedics.com/articles/pritchett_metallosis_of_the_hip.pdf

Abstract
".... The reasons patients develop metallosis are multifactorial, involving the interaction of patient, surgical, and implant factors. Contributing factors may include component malposition, edge loading, impingement, third-body particles, and sensitivity to cobalt. However, no single factor or type of implant is responsible. Metallosis can develop after ideal surgical technique and, conversely, some patients with implants placed with less than ideal surgical technique will not develop this complication."

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

JMS

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
Yes, Pritchett does write well.  Presumably because he spends time talking to patients and not just fellow geek researchers!  (Full disclosure - I'm included in the geek researcher group!)
I am particularly fond of this article because here is one of the big guys admitting that "Metallosis can develop after ideal surgical technique." - which was my experience of course.

cwg

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
Thank goodness for you geeks because you can re-interpret to us non geeks. Excellent

Don't need help with what Pritchett wrote though, and am glad to finally hear that.

My ultra sound is soon .  So far all we know is very high chromium and cobalt levels, and a perfectly placed cup.

Vt waddler

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »
I'm glad to see continuing info on metal ions come out and suspect we will hear much more about it in the future.
  I've had trouble with my left hip since same day bilat (Corment) surgery on 7/22/09, feels "tight" all the time and a sensation of having a wallet in my back left pocket. Went to PT for quite sometime after surgery, but never really helped the sensation I feel. Couldn't tell you my right one had been done, but always know the left one has. Also get pain on the outsides of my hips, feels more like a dull surface pain , of course I am brutal on the hips-my surgeon will kill me or applaud me if he saw the work I do ;D. (he did know prior though)...Anyhow, have had blood test done twice for metal since (get them through my GP).
06/23/10 CH- 3.4/ CO-1.7 and on 10/17/11 CH-2.5/ CO 1.2

I'm interested in imaging next, we'll see. Piece of metal in my finger has kept me out of MRI tests.
waddler

Tin Soldier

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
Waddler - those numbers (in ug/L, of course) are great.  We all have a certain load of heavy metals in our systems, Cr can be pretty high in background soil (at least in certain parts of Oregon).  Not sure how that correlates to blood levels in folks living in those areas.  You can expect that you'll incidentally ingest so much soil per day from dust, vege's, playing in the dirt,... I haven't seen much on Co, only that funny anectodal stuff about the Canadian beer drinkers and their head retention.  Co is not generally very high in background soils, at least in my area.  I'd like to find more historical tox info on Co.  Hard to come by.

BTW - I was told by our public outreach person (formerly a journalist) that we (tech/geeks) should write to an 8th-grade level.  Over the years I learned a lot from her about how to present info in a less technical way, but there is a slight problem whit it.  It's very hard to make definitive black and white statements with varied data.  The general public and media want the simple clear cut and sometimes more dramatic version.  It's tough.     

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

rock_chic_fairy

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »
Ok, if anyone can advise I would be grateful! Just received a letter from hospital, cobalt levels at 383 and chromium att 410. Biggest pseudotumour is 6x2 ........... I swore!! Revision booked end of Feb, but what are the health implications? Xx

cwg

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »
Hey there RockChick

Good stuff ! to your surgery- Smart move!  with your  very high levels and pseudotumours
JMS has had a very good outcome with the revision, I hope you two are in touch

You are young very active and very smart.. the health implications, if you have any, are likely to go away...? At least cognitive ones.

Don't worry beyond that, now- Get strong, physically and emotionally and let EVERYone help you. I know family depends on you, but it works both ways. Even with the little ones. They love to help

It's a big move you are making and I am/will be supporting you, any way I can- So keep writing here.

Happy Christmas

Tin Soldier

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
Good job on getting it done Rock,  Yeah I agree with CWG, most of the stuff I've read is that the metals will eliminate from your body.  I believe Cr is the slower metal to get rid of.  I don't think there is any need to worry about long term health effects, but you might ask your doc if you could have a toxicologist look at your data.  They might just give you the standard spiel on general effects if metals remain at elevated levels.  Although, they might be able to give you detail about your condition and the long-term effects.  Good luck
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat